Cruise Critic Community
sueaussie

Akaroa Eastern Bays Scenic Mail Run shore excursion

On our recent New Zealand cruise we had booked and paid for the Eastern Bays Scenic Mail Run shore excursion in Akaroa.  Unfortunately weather conditions on the day meant that our ship (the Noordam) couldn't take us to port and our stop in Akaroa had to be cancelled.  I rang the Mail Run company from the ship to let them know what had happened as a courtesy.  Unfortunately they did not afford us the same courtesy when we followed them up with an email requesting a refund.  They did offer us the same tour within 12 months but refused us a refund because we did not give them 24 hours notice, which of course was impossible.

With all other private shore excursions that I we have booked, if the ship doesn't make it to shore then a refund is given.  However, this was not included in their paperwork (our mistake for not checking) but in the interest of good tourist relations it's not good form at all.  

So if you are cruising to New Zealand and are stopping in Akaroa be aware that if you book this excursion and the ship doesn't get into shore you will forfeit your payment.

On 4/21/2019 at 3:15 PM, sueaussie said:

On our recent New Zealand cruise we had booked and paid for the Eastern Bays Scenic Mail Run shore excursion in Akaroa.  Unfortunately weather conditions on the day meant that our ship (the Noordam) couldn't take us to port and our stop in Akaroa had to be cancelled.  I rang the Mail Run company from the ship to let them know what had happened as a courtesy.  Unfortunately they did not afford us the same courtesy when we followed them up with an email requesting a refund.  They did offer us the same tour within 12 months but refused us a refund because we did not give them 24 hours notice, which of course was impossible.

With all other private shore excursions that I we have booked, if the ship doesn't make it to shore then a refund is given.  However, this was not included in their paperwork (our mistake for not checking) but in the interest of good tourist relations it's not good form at all.  

So if you are cruising to New Zealand and are stopping in Akaroa be aware that if you book this excursion and the ship doesn't get into shore you will forfeit your payment.

Thank you for your experience. It looked very interesting being able to see the area. But not taking a chance that we don't make port.

Thank you so much for your response Brent.  I will certainly keep your company in my Favourites for when I am next in New Zealand.  Kind regards, Sue

On 4/22/2019 at 7:15 AM, sueaussie said:

Sorry to read of your experiences with Eastern Bays Scenic Mail Run shore excursion in Akaroa.

I would avoid this company because it is not unusual for ships to not stop in Akaroa.  We only learnt that we weren't stopping, whilst we were waiting to disembark, which was a shock because seas were calm at the time.  We did not pay for our booked mail run, with the postman.  We were really disappointed, for us and the mail run operator, but passengers are at the mercy of the Captain's decision based on weather/sea conditions.  

I looked on their website and see that they (at least now) have a statement which warns that they won't give a refund if the space isn't cancelled in the time required.  So I guess it's defiitely a bit of a risk.

Akaroa looks like an absolutely beautiful little place.  I'll be really disappointed if we aren't able to make our planned stop there. But I've also learned to accept the fact that sometimes those itinerary changes are needed, and also that there's way more involved in the decision making in addition to how calm the sea looks at the time or how blue the sky is.