Luggage Overnight?

Suzanne123

I am traveling on BA (American) from Barcelona to London and then on to Philadelphia arriving at 10PM.  The last leg of my trip leaves Philadelphia the next morning.  I am staying overnight at the hotel in the airport, but will I keep my luggage after we go through security upon arrival and check in with it the next day, or do I check it that night for the flight in the morning.  I’m sorry if this is confusing.  I guess I’m just asking if I will have my luggage with me overnight.  Thanks.

Yep, agree. You will have your bag, check it again in the morning. You will claim your bag to clear Customs in Philadelphia. Just keep it until the morning. You don't have to, if you don't want to...it can be rechecked to your morning flight, but it seems safer to hold it yourself. 

24 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Yep, agree. You will have your bag, check it again in the morning. You will claim your bag to clear Customs in Philadelphia. Just keep it until the morning. You don't have to, if you don't want to...it can be rechecked to your morning flight, but it seems safer to hold it yourself. 

I sure wouldn't want to have the airline store my bags somewhere and hope that they get into the right routing bins and onto th right airplane after 6+ hours 😱   I was under the impression that they won't keep bags overnight anymore, anyway.  My last trip where I had an overnight ( a few years ago), I had to take my bags with me (CDG-IAD-home)

19 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I sure wouldn't want to have the airline store my bags somewhere and hope that they get into the right routing bins and onto th right airplane after 6+ hours 😱   I was under the impression that they won't keep bags overnight anymore, anyway.  My last trip where I had an overnight ( a few years ago), I had to take my bags with me (CDG-IAD-home)

This may depend on the airline involved. 

Last time we did it, on United, if the flight we were connecting to was the next possible flight to our destination,  you could check the bags through.  But that was a long time ago, and we kept the bags after Customs anyway. 

Oddly enough, we might have the situation flying home from a cruise next year.

In my experience, airlines will not hold your bags for that long overnight in London.  They will go to baggage claim as usual where you can claim them and then re check them in the next day for the flight to Philly.

10 minutes ago, Voelfgar said:

In my experience, airlines will not hold your bags for that long overnight in London.  They will go to baggage claim as usual where you can claim them and then re check them in the next day for the flight to Philly.

The OP has their overnight at PHL, which will not hold the bag overnight.

We are flying Air Canada tomorrow CLT-Toronto-Dubai. We have 9 hours between flights in Toronto. I am fearful that during that time our bags may get “lost”. AC said our bags would be checked through to Dubai. I believe our flight is the only direct flight to Dubai. So, should we be worried? To protect ourselves a little we are taking a carryon with a couple of days’ worth of clothing. We are flying in three days before our cruise. This isn’t an overnight but the timing is similar. And, we know not to pack in checked bags medicine and electronics.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Pearl64 said:

We are flying Air Canada tomorrow CLT-Toronto-Dubai. We have 9 hours between flights in Toronto. I am fearful that during that time our bags may get “lost”. AC said our bags would be checked through to Dubai. I believe our flight is the only direct flight to Dubai. So, should we be worried?

Is there some reason why you would think that a nine hour connect would be more problematic than a shorter one?  Some reason why they would go "lost" over that time?

Personally, I'd be quite comfortable with my bags making a 9 hour daylight connect at YYZ.

We are flying Air Canada tomorrow CLT-Toronto-Dubai. We have 9 hours between flights in Toronto. I am fearful that during that time our bags may get “lost”. AC said our bags would be checked through to Dubai. I believe our flight is the only direct flight to Dubai. So, should we be worried? To protect ourselves a little we are taking a carryon with a couple of days’ worth of clothing. We are flying in three days before our cruise. This isn’t an overnight but the timing is similar. And, we know not to pack in checked bags medicine and electronics.

Thanks.

8 hours ago, Voelfgar said:

In my experience, airlines will not hold your bags for that long overnight in London. 

8 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

And even if the overnight in question was going to be in London, there are many instances in which the bag can be held overnight. A T5-T5 connection, for example, would definitely allow the checked bag to be held overnight provided the scheduled connection isn't more than 24 hours long. There may well be similar provision in other terminals.

On 4/22/2019 at 9:23 AM, FlyerTalker said:

I have personally rechecked international bags overnight,  in the US, within the past year.   I've also not had to claim domestic bags that have overnighted with long layover routings.  

Certainly  can depend on a lot of factors.