Caribbean Cruise - Anxious about the weather

MickeyL25

Hi all, 

I will be going on a cruise to the Caribbean this weekend and beginning of next week, leaving from Miami. I have checked the weather from my iPhone and I've had a nasty surprise, as from when we arrive in Miami and during the beginning of our cruise it appears as a cloud symbol with a lightning symbol. Does this mean Rain? Thunder? Lightning? all of them?  Has anyone had any experience of what it is like in Miami and the Caribbean with this kind of weather? 

Would very appreciate your feedback as I'm getting very anxious as I thought I would be lying on the beach 😞

Thank you in advance, 

This time of year there are scattered thunderstorms fairly frequently in South Florida - ususlly nothing severe or long lasting.  Once on your cruise, you might hit a bit of bad weather, but usually not; and if it is anything serious, the itinerary will be changed to avoid dangerous weather conditions.

Storms are a byproduct of hot and humid weather. Very common in the tropics. As others mentioned, your day may start beautifully with sunny blue skies, clouds may build up throughout the day, you may get some passing showers or thunderstorms in the afternoon, and then it all goes away. 

I was born and raised in the Caribbean. “A chance of thunderstorms” was an almost daily part of life. 

Imo I would avoid Caribbean April to November. How do u think they are are all so lush and green? They have to have rain sometime. Same as not doing far east during monsoon season or Europe in winter. Go figure or google..🙄🤔

2 hours ago, Tapi said:

Storms are a byproduct of hot and humid weather. Very common in the tropics. As others mentioned, your day may start beautifully with sunny blue skies, clouds may build up throughout the day, you may get some passing showers or thunderstorms in the afternoon, and then it all goes away. 

I was born and raised in the Caribbean. “A chance of thunderstorms” was an almost daily part of life. 

The above is so true.  Happily, it won't ruin your cruise!  

Look forward to having a wonderful time!  :classic_cool:

Once you sail out of Miami, the weather will most likely be much different.  I wouldn't worry about it at all.  Although I have only needed them a couple of times, I bring disposable ponchos and pack them in the bag I take while at the different ports if it looks like it might rain.  In all of my cruises, it's only rained while I was at port probably only four times.  On the ship, there are plenty of areas to sit or stand where you won't get wet.  The rain usually doesn't last long.

As everyone above has mentioned, thunderstorms are common this time of year in Florida. They usually last less than an hour. I wouldn't worry about it ruining your vacation - just bring a light rain jacket with for these moments and you'll be fine.

Sailed the Miracle out of Tampa last year during a wickedly violent thunderstorm.  What a great show, lightening bolts lasted about 2 hours till we got out into the Gulf.  May have been the highlight memory of that cruise.

Didn't see a drop of rain for the rest of the week.

WE moved to SWFL last March, and 98% of the days from May 1 to Aug 31 there was a late afternoon early evening T Storm.  We learned why they call this area the Lightening Capital of the Country.

Edited by evandbob