Medevac on QM2

bluemarble

Looks like we are back on course. I trust all went well with the evacuation as I was oblivious to anything going on from my cabin. Hope all goes well for the patient. Deep respect and admiration for all those involved in the evacuation. This one must have been extra challenging due to the foggy conditions.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Looks like we are back on course. I trust all went well with the evacuation as I was oblivious to anything going on from my cabin. Hope all goes well for the patient. Deep respect and admiration for all those involved in the evacuation. This one must have been extra challenging due to the foggy conditions.

It's always so sad to hear that there has been a medical emergency on board - luckily you weren't in the middle of the crossing. Dr Zuma seems to be very competent, and experienced in emergency situations thank goodness. However, when you see her with the other senior officers, you realized that she is half their size.

Captain has just announced at 2:40am ship's time that we have another medical emergency on board on the first night of our westbound crossing. We have altered course to the northwest toward Falmouth for another medical evacuation by helicopter, this one during the nighttime.

About an hour ago we had another medical evacuation by helicopter. I don't know if it is unprecedented to have had three separate helicopter evacuations during two consecutive crossings, but it is certainly unfortunate. Hoping the best for the patients and kudos for the crews that have been involved.

It is probably true that if the same group of people were going about their normal lives at home on land that on average there might be a similar number of emergencies per month or per year as on board for the same set of people, and it is just that it is highlighted more because of the need to make special arrangements that are highly visible to everyone on board as opposed to more typically just hearing another ambulance siren goes by on the road. However hopefully there was a good outcome in all these cases.