Staff gratuities with "free" grats???

riffatsea

43 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Thanks for the link...........

Much has changed in 12 years since this was used.

Can you provide a link to a source for that?

While I imagine some things have changed since that was published, I doubt the changes have been that dramatic. And they're probably not for the better of the employees. Meaning if Princess is documented to be using a tip pool where employees had to put ALL money into the pool, regardless of source, why would Princess change that so employees no longer had to do that for additional tips? Unless there's some sort of legal or Union action, I don't see what would motivate Princess to change the policy in that way.

And until somebody can provide a source document showing that there are exceptions to the pool now, then this employment contract is the most reliable source we've got.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

In plain sight in the doc you provided.

Perhaps we're misunderstanding each other. You stated that a lot has changed in the 12 years since that document was published. I'm asking if you have a source document that shows those changes. Without such a document, all we have is what was published 12 years ago, and for all we know that's what still stands.

4 minutes ago, Dani24 said:

Perhaps we're misunderstanding each other. You stated that a lot has changed in the 12 years since that document was published. I'm asking if you have a source document that shows those changes. Without such a document, all we have is what was published 12 years ago, and for all we know that's what still stands.

I will leave it at that as the thread has already been hijacked in another direction as tipping threads usually go.

PS.....Crew personnel/salary matters are really none of anyones business. Especially passengers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I will leave it at that as the thread has already been hijacked in another direction as tipping threads usually go.

PS.....Crew personnel/salary matters are really none of anyones business. Especially passengers.

If you are asking passengers to leave a tip, it does make it our business.

Amazing how topics on here go in all different directions!

My only question had to do specifically with "free" grats promotions and whether or not staff got paid by the cruise line if we didn't have to pay the gratuities each day. I have no interest in knowing about staff salaries or anything else.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

My only question had to do specifically with "free" grats promotions and whether or not staff got paid by the cruise line if we didn't have to pay the gratuities each day. I have no interest in knowing about staff salaries or anything else.

Yes they do.

12 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Actually it was on topic because you wanted to know about giving cash to crew  in addition to the auto gratuity and now you know they don't keep it. Everything goes into the pool. 

3 hours ago, riffatsea said:

It is really hard to believe that the staff does not keep the extra tips.

They seem to keep it on other Carnival corporation lines.

As long as the person who gave the person the extra tips completes the cruise with the auto-tips intact, the employee will get the extra tips.

Tom

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

As long as the person who gave the person the extra tips completes the cruise with the auto-tips intact, the employee will get the extra tips.

Tom

posts # 17 thru # 26 state otherwise however

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

Tom

That's what YOU want to happen but not what the contract states. All monies go into the pool.

The ones who always try to refute the fact that crew get to keep the extra $$ are the ones that hate tipping and remove the auto tip. Thats why they are relentless in saying it over and over again. They want to justify to themselves that it is ok to remove the auto tip and punish the crew.

• Like 1

We did 3 cruises B2B2B and so tipped some extra cash (and because we tipped extra once for the 3 cruises, the amounts seemed pretty high because it was given in one chunk and not 3 separate times) - this was over and above our set gratuities which were prepaid by Princess. We asked the head server if each person got to keep the amount we gave them and her answer was "Yes". We wouldn't have been so generous with the extra tip money if we thought it went into some general pool; and from the crew's reaction, I can't believe that the extra money goes into some general pool, otherwise I don't think they would have been quite so appreciative.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, meatloafsfan said:

We wouldn't have been so generous with the extra tip money if we thought it went into some general pool; and from the crew's reaction, I can't believe that the extra money goes into some general pool, otherwise I don't think they would have been quite so appreciative.

It's possible that they answered that way because they KNOW that people would not be as generous.

Certainly a lot of people are pretty sure they are right on this.... on both sides. Usually because of what a Princess employee told them.  But that employment contract seems pretty solid.  Not that it matters to me particularly one way or another.

2 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

That's what YOU want to happen but not what the contract states. All monies go into the pool.

You are making an assumption about what you believe I want to happen when you have no idea of what I truly believe. I will tell you that I do believe what a number of employees have told me. And while I see what is written in the document that was at the link that was uploaded in the earlier message and I agree that it indicates that it does indicate that all the contributions go into the pool, I  find it hard to believe that a document of that sort would continue to be in force almost 12 years later without any changes having been made to it and it certainly seems possible that information provided less than 6 months ago by current employees to me on the subject would be more likely to correct. Is it possible that the employees provided incorrect info to me (and to others)? Yes, it is possible, although I suspect not. 

Tom

2 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

The ones who always try to refute the fact that crew get to keep the extra $$ are the ones that hate tipping and remove the auto tip. Thats why they are relentless in saying it over and over again. They want to justify to themselves that it is ok to remove the auto tip and punish the crew.

You know what they say about assumptions...

I was one of the ones above calling out what the contract says. Yet I have NEVER and would never remove the auto-gratuities. Especially since I am fully aware of how much those tips are spread amongst so many, and make up a significant portion of their salary. The fact that everything goes into the pool makes it even less likely that I would ever consider removing auto-gratuities, because there's no point. It doesn't "punish" only the individual that gave poor service. If I've ever had an issue with a crew member, I take it up with the management, because removing tips does nothing to correct the issue.

Once again this is the hottest topic on Cruise Critic. Naturally everyone has an opinion and speaks from their own experience. While I have never contemplated taking off the auto-grats,I was told by a crew member that ALL tips handed personally to a crew member must go into the 'pool'. If they do not hand it in and are found out they can be instantly dismissed. As said, we can only speak from our own experiences. That's why I said earlier that you must take all these comments with a grain of salt. They are not always the truth.

5 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Why do you think what you read somewhere is what actually happens?

For instance, a 390 hour employee might be directed to work additional hours, and not record the time.

They can, of course, complain ... and then their life will be hell for the rest of the contract.

3 hours ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

You are making an assumption about what you believe I want to happen when you have no idea of what I truly believe. I will tell you that I do believe what a number of employees have told me. And while I see what is written in the document that was at the link that was uploaded in the earlier message and I agree that it indicates that it does indicate that all the contributions go into the pool, I  find it hard to believe that a document of that sort would continue to be in force almost 12 years later without any changes having been made to it and it certainly seems possible that information provided less than 6 months ago by current employees to me on the subject would be more likely to correct. Is it possible that the employees provided incorrect info to me (and to others)? Yes, it is possible, although I suspect not. 

Tom

The contract I copied and pasted was 2015 pretty recent.  I think the staff wants the cash because the pool still grows with every contribution, but it's not going into an individual pocket.