QM2 Hangars and Closets

MarkBearSF

Of all the things large and small (and very small) things that this group talks about, one thing I don't recall being discussed is the closet setup for QM2 Britannia cabins.

Does anyone here share my frustration with the small, narrow compartment with the sliding rod?  It's just too narrow a space to conveniently fit in the direction of the sliding hangar rod - which is just too darn awkward anyway.

And why can't they have non-attached hangars with hooks in the main wardrobe? Even with the hotel-style narrower rod and matching hangars, it would be preferable. The first thing we do is pull off most of their hangars - especially the ones with the clips that are too weak to hold a pair of folded trousers.

I love the QM2 Britannia cabins and have happily spent seven weeks in them thus far (another cruise starts at the end of June) - but for a ship built for long voyages with extensive wardrobes, the hanging situation could be improved. (And the new knobs!!)

On the positive note, we love the wire hangars they use in the laundry; they're a heavier gauge wire than the ones our local laundries use. When we travel, we make sure we pack using our local flimsy hangars and when we pack at the end of the cruise, we make sure the new Cunard ones go home with us and the crappy ones stay behind!

Edited by MarkBearSF
  • Like 1

I have posted comments about the cabin wardrobes and hanging previously.  

ON QE & QV we removed the rail and all the hangers. I pack all my dresses on aluminium hangers at home with dry cleaning bags (helps avoid creasing) and ask for wire hangers from our steward for  my husband's shirts and trousers.

His suits are already on hangers from home with a bag to protect them.  Thus providing a good space for a regular voyage. On an exotic or world cruise we request a clothes rail and I use the wardrobe for long dresses and husband's clothing.

ON QM2 we removed the hangers just leaving the plastic fixing over the rail and then as above - not so good but passable.

Attached is some feedback I sent to Cunard after a recent voyage of 40 days and their response.

There was plenty of storage on QM2 with regards to shelves and drawers. However, the rails in the wardrobes are static and the hotel hangers cannot be removed, limiting hanging for a long/world voyage.  The wardrobe rails on QV and QE can be taken out and the hangers removed. Allowing thinner hangers to take their place and increasing the space substantially.

As we had a noise issue with our cabin we were offered a transfer to a sheltered balcony on Deck 4. This had to be refused as the single wardrobe had a bar which came forward for shirts so even less storage. But that left only one wardrobe for suits and dresses. I was surprised at the hanging variations on the same ship.

Admittedly on QV and QE the shirt hanging does need to be raised as part of the garment rests on the floor.

I hope these issues can be addressed in the new ship so there is a removable bar and higher shirt hanging.

Response
Thank you for your observations regarding stateroom hanging storage and I can appreciate the challenges that this can cause when on a long voyage. Whilst we are naturally limited with the space that can be dedicated to hanging wardrobe space, we always welcome guests suggestions as to how improvements can be made to ensure a more comfortable environment for our guests. Your comments have therefore been forwarded to our New Build and Guest Experience teams for their information.