Seattle Pier 91 to Sea-Tac airport

DaveOKC

We are also seeking options and after much searching and reading, we think it will have to be a metered taxi or the cruise line bus.  We checked out Stila Town cars but on Yelp they have dreadful reviews.  The Shared Shuttle or the Shared Express seemed expensive and time consuming.  It would be nice to find a flat rate Taxi

The last two seasons (2017 & 2018) the flat rate taxi from Pier 91 to SeaTac Airport was $40.  The new Pier 91 season starts the weekend of May 4/5th so we should have updated info soon.

Also, even though the flat rate is signed (and agreed upon between the Port of Seattle and the taxis), it never hurts to state the expectation of the $40 flat rate before stepping into the cab.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

The last two seasons (2017 & 2018) the flat rate taxi from Pier 91 to SeaTac Airport was $40.  The new Pier 91 season starts the weekend of May 4/5th so we should have updated info soon.

Also, even though the flat rate is signed (and agreed upon between the Port of Seattle and the taxis), it never hurts to state the expectation of the $40 flat rate before stepping into the cab.

Sounds good, but how does one know if it is a fixed rate taxi?  Are there signs directing you to them or ???

3 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Sounds good, but how does one know if it is a fixed rate taxi?  Are there signs directing you to them or ???

In the mornings during disembarkation there is a large sandwich board just by the beginning of the passenger Taxi queue stating that the Taxi Flat Rate to SeaTac is $40 (we are still waiting to see if that price remained the same for 2019).  There is only one 'authorized' cab company (STITA) allowed at Pier 91 for picking up passengers.   In the early mornings, the taxis arriving to pick up disembarking passengers are lined up in a nearby staging area and their entrance into the Pier 91 driveway is controlled by a staff member.  This also prevents 'gypsy' cabs from trying to pick up passengers. 

As I mentioned in the previous post, the flat rate fee has been agreed upon between the cab company and the Port of Seattle, but there could be an unethical driver trying to get more money by figuring that once at SeaTac the passenger will just pay and not take the time to report the overcharge.  By saying to the Taxi driver that "the fare to SeaTac is $40 dollars, correct"  just lets him know that his passengers knows what the agreed upon fare should be.  And hopefully these happy passengers will also tip their drivers as well.

The other thing that can happen is any taxi can drop off passengers, so a non flat rate taxi could arrive at 9:30 am dropping off embarking passengers, and offer to take the few remaining disembarking passengers to SeaTac and that fare would be metered, not flat rate.  It is my understanding that these cabs technically cannot pick up passengers, but unless one of the traffic control staffers shoos them away, passengers who don't want to wait for the 'authorized' taxi just want to get into whatever cab and get going.  Buyer beware.

Also, during the busiest part of the mornings there is a representative from the Taxi company (STITA) who helps assign passengers to their cab, and keeps peace among the drivers.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
typo
  • Like 1

Would this be the same line to stand on if I were going to Pike Place or does that get separated out? I have time for some exploring after the cruise, planning to use Port Valet, so thought it would be good to go downtown and also hit the Underground tour. I assume that would be metered and that the ship doesn't do just a dropoff downtown. Or am I better off using a different service?

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

In the mornings during disembarkation there is a large sandwich board just by the beginning of the passenger Taxi queue stating that the Taxi Flat Rate to SeaTac is $40 (we are still waiting to see if that price remained the same for 2019).  There is only one 'authorized' cab company (STITA) allowed at Pier 91 for picking up passengers.   In the early mornings, the taxis arriving to pick up disembarking passengers are lined up in a nearby staging area and their entrance into the Pier 91 driveway is controlled by a staff member.  This also prevents 'gypsy' cabs from trying to pick up passengers. 

As I mentioned in the previous post, the flat rate fee has been agreed upon between the cab company and the Port of Seattle, but there could be an unethical driver trying to get more money by figuring that once at SeaTac the passenger will just pay and not take the time to report the overcharge.  By saying to the Taxi driver that "the fare to SeaTac is $40 dollars, correct"  just lets him know that his passengers knows what the agreed upon fare should be.  And hopefully these happy passengers will also tip their drivers as well.

The other thing that can happen is any taxi can drop off passengers, so a non flat rate taxi could arrive at 9:30 am dropping off embarking passengers, and offer to take the few remaining disembarking passengers to SeaTac and that fare would be metered, not flat rate.  It is my understanding that these cabs technically cannot pick up passengers, but unless one of the traffic control staffers shoos them away, passengers who don't want to wait for the 'authorized' taxi just want to get into whatever cab and get going.  Buyer beware.

Also, during the busiest part of the mornings there is a representative from the Taxi company (STITA) who helps assign pssengers to their cab, and keeps peace among the drivers.

Thanks for the information!  It is exactly what I needed.  I will remember to verify the amount before I get into the cab.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bhsolo said:

Would this be the same line to stand on if I were going to Pike Place or does that get separated out? I have time for some exploring after the cruise, planning to use Port Valet, so thought it would be good to go downtown and also hit the Underground tour. I assume that would be metered and that the ship doesn't do just a dropoff downtown. Or am I better off using a different service?

You are correct that it would be the same taxi queue, and that if you took the taxi to any other destination that it would be metered.  In your case Uber or Lyft might be an option.  If you did use either of these services I would suggest walking the .04 mile (7-10 mins) to the 'shared ride' pick-up area rather than waiting to ride the shuttle van.

16 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

You are correct that it would be the same taxi queue, and that if you took the taxi to any other destination that it would be metered.  In your case Uber or Lyft might be an option.  If you did use either of these services I would suggest walking the .04 mile (7-10 mins) to the 'shared ride' pick-up area rather than waiting to ride the shuttle van.

Oh interesting about the shared ride and shuttle van (didn't even think about a shuttle van to go downtown). Does it become chaotic with all of the lyft vehicles or is it pretty seamless?

Thank you for all of this information, greatly appreciated!

Edited by bhsolo

It seems well organized.  The ride share drivers (Uber/Lyft) have their own pick-up area which is under the control of the pier's traffic control staff.  I am sure that the drivers want to meet up with their ride passengers as quickly as possible and it all works!

FYI - For all passengers arriving to start their cruise, the embarking drop off area for all passengers (including Uber or Lyft)  is in the driveway area of the Pier 91 terminal building.  The Uber/Lyft ride share pick-up area is ONLY used in the morning for the departing cruise passengers due to traffic congestion. 

14 minutes ago, bhsolo said:

Oh interesting about the shared ride and shuttle van (didn't even think about a shuttle van to go downtown). Does it become chaotic with all of the lyft vehicles or is it pretty seamless?

Thank you for all of this information, greatly appreciated!

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
typo

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

It seems well organized.  The ride share drivers (Uber/Lyft) have their own pick-up area which is under the control of the pier's traffic control staff.  I am sure that the drivers want to meet up with their ride passengers as quickly as possible and it all works!

FYI - For all passengers arriving to start their cruise, the embarking drop off area for all passengers (including Uber or Lyft)  is in the driveway area of the Pier 91 terminal building.  The Uber/Lyft ride share pick-up area is ONLY used in the morning for the departing cruise passengers due to traffic congestion. 

Thank you for all of this information, both with embarking and departing, so helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, fla gang said:

What would be my best option from Pike place to Seatac after my cruise? Is the light rail an option?

You could take the light rail, it'd be about a 4 block walk up the hill on Pine st. to Westlake station.

On 4/24/2019 at 8:28 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

Does anyone know if the  Flat Fee rate for 2019 has been confirmed from  Pier 91 to Seatac?

8 hours ago, Penzance said:

Does anyone know if the  Flat Fee rate for 2019 has been confirmed from  Pier 91 to Seatac?

No confirmation yet.  The season just started and it was unclear if the taxi fee to SeaTac will be implemented again this year, and if so, what it would be.  Will report back once it has been determined.

Thank you, we appreciate your input.   We are waffling between flat fee or metered taxi, shuttle van or cruise bus and/or private transfer.  Trying to figure out which is best for ease, walk, cost and reliability. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 10:42 PM, Penzance said:

Thank you Ferry_Watcher.  It would be nice if the 2019  flat rate remained the same. I did get a quote from a Limo Car service which was $84 +  😞 

In case you're interested, I just a quote from Already There Towncar Service (they've been around a long time).  Charlotte quoted me $65 each way, SeaTac/Pier 91.

https://alreadytheretowncar.com/

Thank you. We too have booked them from Seatac to hotel. We are now waiting to see if the $40 Taxi flat fare will remain the same for 2019 before booking the town car from Pier 91 to Seatac.    Not sure if Town car can make pick-up at ship side or do we have to walk to meet them elsewhere. 

Good question - It's been a few years since we've sailed out of/into Pier 91.  I just shot Charlotte an email to ask where they drop off and pick up at both SeaTac and Pier 91.  Will let you know her response.

1 hour ago, Penzance said:

Thank you. We too have booked them from Seatac to hotel. We are now waiting to see if the $40 Taxi flat fare will remain the same for 2019 before booking the town car from Pier 91 to Seatac.    Not sure if Town car can make pick-up at ship side or do we have to walk to meet them elsewhere. 

From Charlotte @ Already There:

At Seatac: we pick-up on the Arrivals level outside of the baggage claim area and we drop off on the Departures level.

At Pier 91: we drop off and pick up in the passenger drop off / pick up area next to the ships.

Thank you.  After reading another passengers review (see below) when they disembarked on Pier 91,  I want to clarify exactly where the car/taxi pick-up.  

"As our shuttle was driving away, I saw lots of people were dragging suitcases and walking on the side of the road. The normal sized 3-ft wide sidewalk certainly wasn’t big enough for the number of people and suitcases, so a lot of people were walking in the road where the buses and cars were squeezing by with inches to spare. They literally looked like refugees. I thought they were walking toward the parking lot to their own cars, but a minute or so later, I realized that they were going to a remote area that’s designated for Private and Ride-sharing pickup. That place was totally congested with hundreds of people and dozens of cars. Walking ½ mile with suitcases, spending 20 - 30minutes trying to find your driver, then another 10 minutes trying to get out of the port – in exchange for a saving of $5 or $10? Not worth it."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Penzance said:

Thank you.  After reading another passengers review (see below) when they disembarked on Pier 91,  I want to clarify exactly where the car/taxi pick-up.  

"As our shuttle was driving away, I saw lots of people were dragging suitcases and walking on the side of the road. The normal sized 3-ft wide sidewalk certainly wasn’t big enough for the number of people and suitcases, so a lot of people were walking in the road where the buses and cars were squeezing by with inches to spare. They literally looked like refugees. I thought they were walking toward the parking lot to their own cars, but a minute or so later, I realized that they were going to a remote area that’s designated for Private and Ride-sharing pickup. That place was totally congested with hundreds of people and dozens of cars. Walking ½ mile with suitcases, spending 20 - 30minutes trying to find your driver, then another 10 minutes trying to get out of the port – in exchange for a saving of $5 or $10? Not worth it."

Penzance, only Uber/Lyft uses that .04 mile off site pick-up lot during Disembark mornings.  It is because of congestion in the driveway area of the Terminal 91 building.  Any 'Town Car' service you hire will pick you up in the driveway area of the Terminal 91 Building. 

The person who posted the 'refugee' comment has to remember that there are literally thousands of people getting off two ships during the 7:15 - 9:15 AM time frame.  Believe me, no passenger was walking in the road, as it is a one lane road out of the terminal for buses, taxis, private cars, shuttle vans, etc!!!

I posted photos of the improved Uber/Lyft area: 

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
added additional info