Am I the only way one going to Alaska that doesn’t eat seafood?

DebbieN167

I've never had a problem in Alaska and I don't eat meat  (except the occassional battered dipped halibut ).

Of course you'll be ok ..... pizza, burgers, fried chicken.  It's Alaska ... still the United States.

Go to the tripadvisor site and look at restaurants. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm - since shrimp are seafood, it certainly sounds like you eat at least some seafood OP (and you obviously don't have a broad shellfish allergy or anything). You'll find plenty of other food choices, onboard and in ports, and plenty of shrimp - but maybe take the opportunity to try some seafood items you have not had before? If it's just the hassle factor of getting the tasty bits out of the shells, there are plenty of ways to eat them already de-crunchified 😉

Dungeness Crab have the most meat of any crab species and are readily-available fresh unlike Kings. Even if you're not up for a 'crab feast' where you get piles of half-crabs just stacked on the table to devour, you'll find it in soups & pastas. Interesting 4-legged land beasties are perhaps more readily available to you up there too - caribou (reindeer), venison in general, maybe bison too depending what sort of restos & butchers you frequent in Florida. And even if you don't eat salmon at home, try the Pacific species fresh while you're up there - there's a discernible difference from Atlantic salmon, especially King and Sockeye.

Being raised in the Pacific Northwest everyone thinks we love seafood. We eat a little Salmon now and then and that's about it, maybe twice a year. We never eat the farm raised salmon on the Alaska cruise ship. My sister in law and brother in law live in Alaska and they bring us Salmon and Halibut whenever they come down, we normally give it away. Clams and Crab, no way will we eat that.

Edited by Eaglecw
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Coral said:

I am allergic and have been to Alaska a ton. No problems.

There are usually alternatives such as chicken or ribs. 

Thank you!

Thank you to everyone for your replies 

Edited by DebbieN167

We usually eat on the ship but I can't imagine that you would be unable to get a salad at a local restaurant.  We had a Skagway excursion with a lunch stop that was BBQ and I was able to get fruit, a salad and a corn muffin.  On another excursion they threw a veggie burger on the grill when asked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I resigned to the fact that I will watch my parents and DH scarf down on seafood of the crustacean variety when we get to Alaska.  I'm sure I can find and eat fish and FRIED calamari (can't stand grilled squid either, I don't know why).

I don't eat any seafood either! Although we didn't really eat much in port. I think we were on excursions or just didn't really eat much. I know we ate in Juneau,  not far from the ship. Pretty sure my husband had some seafood there. And our son would have eaten clam chowder if every given the chance! He doesn't eat anything else though. Although he's going to Canada on a fishing trip with his dad and 10 other people this summer, so he's going to have to try it! LOL!

Oh, and we're going to New Orleans on vacation this summer so I asked for tips from friends. But I had to remind everyone, don't even bother suggesting restaurants. I'm not a foodie to begin with and especially not for the seafood, which is obviously a big thing there. LOL!

• Thanks 1

On 4/24/2019 at 11:01 AM, RoyalVisit said:

We're both vegetarians (no seafood). 😀 We leave for Alaska in 17 days.  I imagine we will be eating primarily on the ship. 😂

lol, Alaska is still in the US, and the menus in the restaurants will offer the same options you can find in restaurants anywhere. So if you can't find anything to eat in a restaurant in your hometown, then you're probably out of luck. If you eat out regularly and find things on the menu you like, you'll be fine.

For those that don't "like" seafood, vacation is the best time to try it. My husband swears he doesn't like a lot of things, but I make him try almost everything because I really can't stand when people say they don't like something they've never tried. He now craves the fish tacos and smoked fish dip from our favorite bar in the Florida keys, he ordered halibut more than once while in Alaska last year, and probably ate 5 lbs of dungeness crab in Ketchikan. The only thing I can't get him to try is sushi. His mother let him be a picky eater and I'm still trying to undo 25 years of coddling her child. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

lol, Alaska is still in the US, and the menus in the restaurants will offer the same options you can find in restaurants anywhere. So if you can't find anything to eat in a restaurant in your hometown, then you're probably out of luck. If you eat out regularly and find things on the menu you like, you'll be fine.

For those that don't "like" seafood, vacation is the best time to try it. My husband swears he doesn't like a lot of things, but I make him try almost everything because I really can't stand when people say they don't like something they've never tried. He now craves the fish tacos and smoked fish dip from our favorite bar in the Florida keys, he ordered halibut more than once while in Alaska last year, and probably ate 5 lbs of dungeness crab in Ketchikan. The only thing I can't get him to try is sushi. His mother let him be a picky eater and I'm still trying to undo 25 years of coddling her child.

I know this, clearly my attempt at humour wasn't understood.

The rest of your comment is irrelevant to my post.

3 hours ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

Some of us have allergies.