Faded DD214

flutprop

My father retired in 1985, and has copied and mailed me his DD214 so that I can submit it to Princess for the military benefit.  It appears to have been typed on an electric typewriter, and is very faded. I can read his name, and can make out other parts because I know what it says, like DOB, SSN and dates of service, but don't know how clear it will be when faxed to Princess (of course, with the SSN marked out)

I will be faxing later this afternoon, but was wondering if anyone has any experience with these requests getting denied due to inability to read them, or do they really just need to be able to see the form name (which is dark and clear) and his name?  My Dad is on the East Coast, I am on the West, so actually getting the original to attempt a darker copy would be difficult.

scan the DD214 copy you have ... then try to adjust the contrast ... I can do that on my all-in-one printer and it works amazing well ... much better than just making a copy of a copy and using the lighter / darker feature ...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DaKa2002 said:

Why not just scan the retirement orders, rather than the DD214?

I didn't know that was an option (it is not listed on the form, just requests the DD214. Plus that would require my 88yo father find that, have someone make a copy and then send it to me.  Also, from 1985, would the quality likely be the same?

24 minutes ago, voljeep said:

scan the DD214 copy you have ... then try to adjust the contrast ... I can do that on my all-in-one printer and it works amazing well ... much better than just making a copy of a copy and using the lighter / darker feature ...

They tried that at Kinkos and it did not change much. 

I have faxed it over, and will check his account next week and see. I also submitted my shareholder benefit (separate fax and number, but at the same time) so will see which gets done first!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, john_galt said:

He can request a fresh copy of the DD214 at VA.gov. It necessitates setting up a DoD login but that's simple and quick. 

I found that info but it seems like a lot of work for the $100 he will get for this cruise. He already dreads travelling over the last few years as his health has declined, and it is unlikely he will cruise again.

Information on the military OBC is available at https://www.princess.com/military_benefit_program/.

Note that you can send by email, fax, or mail. Instead of fax, I recommend scanning to a PDF and sending an email with the PDF attachment.

Even if you have already sent it in to Princess, I recommend asking him to scan the original to a PDF, keep the PDF, and send you a copy of the PDF. That way you would have it when needed for other military benefits. I keep a PDF copy of mine on my computer ready to print or email whenever I need it.

4 hours ago, john_galt said:

He can request a fresh copy of the DD214 at VA.gov. It necessitates setting up a DoD login but that's simple and quick. 

I just requested one from 1966/67 at this website:

https://www.archives.gov/veterans

No need to set up a login.  The VA sent me to this website.  EM

Princess is very military friendly and I doubt that you will have a problem. You tried darkening it up on your own printer?? You can also take a pix with a cell phone and then use an online program to darken it.

Dad also has a military get together on the cruise and it's usually on the first sea day. Hubby goes to these and really enjoys it as he meets people from all branches of the service with very varied backgrounds.

Just signed into Dads personalizer and the military credit is on his account. So all my worrying for nothing; they accepted my fax and had it credited within hours.

Thanks for everyones comments. I love Princess.

• Like 3

I downloaded the military benefit form from Princess and printed page 2 to a pdf file. I scanned my DD214 to a pdf file. I sent an email to the address listed on page 1 of the Princess download and attached both pdf's. Credit notification was emailed back to me this morning. Easy peasy! 😀

22 hours ago, flutprop said:

Just signed into Dads personalizer and the military credit is on his account. So all my worrying for nothing; they accepted my fax and had it credited within hours.

Thanks for everyones comments. I love Princess.

Yes, I think that my husband's DD214 is a lot like your father's.  It's very hard to read in spots, but I think they just want to see proof.  I doubt that they scrutinize it.

As stated above you can request a new DD214 at any time.  I have requested one several times over the years.  The OP's father may not cruise again but the DD214 is an important document that will be needed when he passes to get his last veteran benefits.