Why no water sports platform Rangiroa?

naxos

Just received annotated cruise documents for May 20 Wind Spirit sailing and it indicates watersport for all other at anchor ports except Motu Tahaa which is a day on the Motu . But why not Rangiroa? We were planning to stay onboard and use the platform that day.

thanks 

Someone else might actually know, but I will take a guess. If they never use the water platform in a place like Rangiroa it is that they may not anchor. 

There are three reasons I can think of that they would not anchor.

Too Deep(like Santorini).  They just attempt to stay in one place the entire time they are there and keep the bow into the wind.

Coral/pearl farm is below and do not want to damage it.

Not enough room to swing around safely.   This is a bit of boat geek, but depending on the depth and conditions the boat lets extra chain (anchor rode).  I am not sure what ratio They use, but I simple/cautious sailors like myself use 10/1.  The chain (along with the anchor) help keep the boat secure.  Also as the wind shifts, the boat and the chain along the bottom  will shift and point into the wind.  There needs to be room to do this.  This is about 1000-1500 (maybe more) feet to swing around.

It is also possible that for safety reason they anchor too close to channel or other hazard to safely let you off, of where they anchor there is a strong current.  Some of the atolls during the tide change have very strong currents.  I have gone diving in rangiroa, currents are strong in the channel.

When you go, ask on the bridge and let me know - they usually like questions like that.  I am sure there is a good reason.  I would love to know.

I too am always disappointed then the water platform is closed.  They sometimes seem overly cautious, as a good swimmer I feel like they are overprotective.

Have fun. 

The currents in Rangiroa vary from day to day- predictable with the tides but very strong much of the time. Can see how difficult it would be to for the sports platform people to manage swimmers, small sailboats, kayakers etc from sports platform. The current really can be wildly strong, dragging even a strong swimmer on to the next island or atoll. Truly not safe. Except for those drift snorkeling under the watchful eye of tour guides who have a zodiac driver to jump in if there is a problem. If I might suggest, do a tour that includes the Aquarium- amazing water clarity, lots of fish- and if you're feeling adventurous do the drift snorkel in Tiputa Pass. Windstar isn't really being overly cautious- it's a dangerous location.

Edited by Petoonya

Petoonya

Thank you for the suggestion!

I knew about the current in the pass but was unaware that the ship anchored in an area affected by the currents. Your enthusiastic review has been such fun to read as we get ready.

Glad you liked the review. Get ready for the time of your life but you know that already! The current really is something in Rangiroa. A couple years ago we were on an Oceania ship in there. The current was so strong that the captain made a decision to depart two hours earlier than planned, or we wouldn't be able to depart till the wee hours of the morning. It was something that had not been foreseen. Fortunately it was 4pm and oddly everyone had returned to the ship.

Have a fabulous time!

5 hours ago, naxos said:

Thank you- I don't know if they "never" anchor since the documents indicate that they are at anchor, but your other explanations seem plausible.

I will certainly ask when onboard.

Thanks.  Let me know.