How far would you drive

Surrealistic

A lot depends on the route you drive.  We have done that several times out of NOLA.  We live about 5 hours from NOLA and always drive in the morning of the cruise.  We know we are taking a chance but have never had any problems.  For us, the biggest chance we are taking is that we have to drive through Baton Rouge on I-10 and that area is known for some major traffic problems at times.

I once drove from West Palm to Port Canaveral day of and there was a horrible accident.  Should have been a 2.5 hour drive.  Left at 7am, arrived at noon due to an accident along the way (not mine).  Your car could break down as well.  I wouldn’t risk driving that long of a distance day of.  

• Like 1

Hi

If you have a reliable vehicle and you feel comfortable about the route, traffic, and possible alternative route changes, it would not be unreasonable.

I think the only problem in this type of planning is that you always need to give yourself extra time. The further away you are the more extra time you should give yourself in case of an emergency. How much time is up to you and your comfort level. It's like the people on this site that often ask... can I make a flight that leaves at 10:30 (or whatever). Of course the answer is, probably, but maybe not. 

If you have no other options, then this is what you have to do. If you have other options then you should decide what is my best option. So, I don't know you, I don't know your situation. You have to park somewhere, many hotels near cruise ports offer packages which include parking and you would be near the ship when you wake up, no worries. If this isn't available in your area you might consider a hotel not right near the port but close enough that you wouldn't be concerned about time at all. 

hope this helps

have a great cruise

We are in North Ga.  We sail out of Port Canaveral.  We're going to drive to St Augustine to hook up with some friends and spend the night.  We're going to drive to the port the next day.  It's a bout a two hour drive. We usually arrive a day before sailing.  I've got to tell you, I'm really nervous.  We'll probably leave around 6 in the morning to to give ourselves enough time.  

The closest port for me is 2 hours away. I would be willing to drive that distance the day of. However, I have never sailed from that port. I often drive to Florida ports (10+ hours away) the day before. 

If you plan on driving more than a couple of hours, I would make sure you have travel insurance that would cover you in the event that you can't make it. You should get the insurance anyway. I trust my car more than I trust the airlines🙄

I would never drive to port the day of the cruise. Even Norfolk, where I only live 3 hours from.

Not to mention aside from the obvious reasons you shouldn't go the day of.... If you go the night before, you can get a good sleep and be well rested for your first day on the ship. Rather than being tired and wanting to nap. 

We leave NC at midnight (or so, depending on which FLA port we sail from) the night before and get to the port by 9 -10 AM.  This includes stopping for a good breakfast at sunrise.  

If anything happens, we have a good 4 - 5 hours to McGyver an alternate plan.  

Major perks are no traffic, family sleeps as I drive, and I also sleep like a baby onboard the ship that first night as I've usually been awake for awhile that day.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

We are in North Ga.  We sail out of Port Canaveral.  We're going to drive to St Augustine to hook up with some friends and spend the night.  We're going to drive to the port the next day.  It's a bout a two hour drive. We usually arrive a day before sailing.  I've got to tell you, I'm really nervous.  We'll probably leave around 6 in the morning to to give ourselves enough time.  

You'll be fine.  It's just a two hour drive.  

Enjoy your cruise!  :classic_cool:

• Thanks 1

Sure is less stressful to arrive close to port the night before.   Starts the vacation off much more relaxed.  A night at a budget motel does not cost that much.  Or stay at a nice place and start the vacation one night earlier.

• Like 1

For me, I would say no more than 2 hours.

But.........

There are so many factors that come into play with driving in like that. Traffic, car trouble, accidents, extra potty breaks, etc. 

I would be WAY too anxious that something would go wrong. Plus I find that it always takes me 30 minutes longer to get out od town than I expect it to take.

Ultimately it comes down to your own level of comfort.

9 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

If you have a reliable vehicle and you feel comfortable about the route, traffic, and possible alternative route changes, it would not be unreasonable.

Unfortunately, even brand new vehicles can break down.

2 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

Unfortunately, even brand new vehicles can break down.

Hi

😀 Yes. That is what is bothering me... not for a cruising issue. I am looking at buying a new vehicle and realizing I will be giving up my current car that has NEVER in the 9 years I have owned it had any mechanical failures. 

We don't.  Ours is around 6 hours and just isn't worth the stress.  $100 for a hotel and $20 for dinner is worth the lack of stress.  Plus we can take some time and explore some of the port city and do last second shopping.  We are new cruisers so the port cities are new to us as well.  

I wouldn't drive 4 or 5 hours any day for a cruise.  When I lived in NY, I would drive 1 hr or so to LGA or JFK and then take the 1st non stop direct departure to MIA or FLL , arrive in FL between 9 and 10AM, and be at the port by 11 AM.  I did that for 40 some odd cruises, never any issues.

Now that we live in SWFL, it's only a 2 hour drive to TAM and FLL, and just a little longer to MIA.  I'll drive to those ports, but I'm not driving to Canaveral, a 4 hour + trek.

I consider getting to the ship part of my vacation, and I like to relax and take it easy doing so.