Mobile Passport moving to a $15 paid app

FlyerTalker

A new app is being rolled out called Mobile Passport Plus.  Apparently, a number of current functions in the free Mobile Passport app are being migrated to the paid version.  A number of folks here have been users of MP, so here's a blog post for an update and heads up.

https://rapidtravelchai.boardingarea.com/mobile-passport-plus/

Interesting. Makes sense, and probably still a wise investment for some people. I personally have never used it since I already drop the money on Global Entry, but based on what I've heard $15 may be worth it even for one trip.

I know when we used it the first time a couple of years ago it had to save us close to 40 minutes of waiting.  The lines in the terminal to clear customs were crazy-long, and we were able to walk right up to the dedicated lane...ten minutes from entry to the terminal, grab our bags and out to get a cab.  Fastest debarkation ever.

People looking to race to the airport for early flights will likely happily pay the $15 for that time edge.

We had been relying on TSA Pre-check plus the mobile passport app because we live far away from a Global Entry enrollment center, but I'm now thinking it makes sense to get organized and get GE ($100 for five years and includes Pre compared to $75 for five years of the app which does not include Pre and who knows what the status of the app will be in a few years)

7 hours ago, msmayor said:

The lines in the terminal to clear customs were crazy-long, and we were able to walk right up to the dedicated lane...

I didn’t think MP gave any customs priority the same way GE does?

Having gone through ORD a couple of hours ago where the lines were truly enormous (although I was through from plane to curb in about 3mins thanks to GE) I wondered if it is possible to enrol for MPC if you were to find yourself in a very long line and save time.

9 hours ago, sumiandkage said:

We had been relying on TSA Pre-check plus the mobile passport app because we live far away from a Global Entry enrollment center, but I'm now thinking it makes sense to get organized and get GE ($100 for five years and includes Pre compared to $75 for five years of the app which does not include Pre and who knows what the status of the app will be in a few years)

Find a GE center which is someplace that you'd like to do an overnight or weekend trip.  When I got mine 7 years ago, there were very few places to go.  I opted for Las Vegas.  The interview took 10 minutes.  The rest was left for fun; I made enough money at craps to pay for the weekend!!

12 hours ago, fbgd said:

I didn’t think MP gave any customs priority the same way GE does?

Having gone through ORD a couple of hours ago where the lines were truly enormous (although I was through from plane to curb in about 3mins thanks to GE) I wondered if it is possible to enrol for MPC if you were to find yourself in a very long line and save time.

At the time we used it, MP was in very limited availability and one of the spots was Port Everglades.  There was a customs agent stationed at the queue entrance and once she saw our mobile screen for entry, she directed us to the special line.  Only one agent had the proper scanning equipment so they reserved it for MP guests.  Very few people must have known about it - I only learned about it on board when our disembarkation information came, suggesting we download the app and complete it for faster clearing.  

FlyerTalker, thanks for starting this thread. Discovered the upgraded app when I tried to update passport info and couldn’t find our previously  stored passports.  I guess you can still use the app without paying for the upgrade but you will have to put in your passport info and take your picture each time you want to use the app. PITI!  Not sure how well that will work if there is no “save” function. I will read the blog you linked to for more info. As someone pointed out, makes more sense to just get GE if you frequently travel internationally.  

• 3 weeks later...

It isn’t my understanding that to use the new MP it is as you state, upload passport info each time. Not a big deal for me as we usually only have need for it four or five times a year. 

For those arguing for GE instead of MP, we have both now, but when I had MP (& GE)!and hubby just had GE, the results of who got through customs faster was mixed. At MIA, even though the GE line was much longer, he got finished first as the MP scanner was having issues and they’ve had to reboot between customers. At DFW, I was finished in literally two minutes, while he took 10-15 minutes due to the 20-30 folks in the GE line-still better than the regular line which must have had 300-400 in it. After that experience, he downloaded MP and now we have it prepared and make a decision on whether to use MP or GE depending on the line length.