Holland America, Alaska, Which Side?

PapaSquatch

An aft-facing stateroom on a HAL ship is the best for viewing Alaska and the chance to get photographs that those on the side of the ship will miss.  With no wind, you can even eat on your balcony when the ship is moving.

Enjoy your cruise planning.

I appreciate your replies. Good to know that both sides get the view. Up top sounds good to me, but if it's under 90*, the Queen thinks it's freezing out (she picked Alaska so it's not my fault). We'll try for an aft room. We've tried for aft on Caribbean cruises and they were already gone by the time we got to booking. Yeah, booking early is best I know, but have to work around other schedules ya know.

Thanks to all of you, and have a Blessed day.

6 hours ago, PapaSquatch said:

I appreciate your replies. Good to know that both sides get the view. Up top sounds good to me, but if it's under 90*, the Queen thinks it's freezing out (she picked Alaska so it's not my fault). We'll try for an aft room. We've tried for aft on Caribbean cruises and they were already gone by the time we got to booking. Yeah, booking early is best I know, but have to work around other schedules ya know.

Better bring lots of layers for the Queen to wear as I think the odds are good that most or all of your trip will hover well below 90*.  I have occasionally seen the 80's while in Alaska, but have also drifted down into the 50's and always tell friends that you just cannot predict the weather in Alaska.  As for the view either side works but we loved being out on the deck.  On a cold day, hot chocolate was a treat.

7 hours ago, PapaSquatch said:

While I have experienced 95 in Skagway once in June, by September expect well below the 90's. Early Sept best guess is low 60's/high 50's dropping to low 50's at the end of the month.

One of our cruises did include an Alaskan cruise in September and temperatures were in the 50's and rainy.  

On HAL you need to try and get a corner aft cabin for the best views.

We have discovered on HAL that the captains tend to keep the port side of the ship facing the glaciers the longest.

• Haha 1

The best view I had of the glaciers was from a rescue boat, as we lowered one every week. Sadly not permitted these days. Using this analogy, in addition to the Sun Deck, I also use the Prom Deck, preferably close to the stern, so I can access both sides equally.