Cove vs. Regular Balcony

nissach

Just looking for some feedback on the cove balconies.  Pros, cons, any other info about them.

I feel they are too close to the water and I may not like it?  But it may be nice to try one?

Thanks!

Pros- closer to water, so in port you have different views, can see fish, etc, pier runners, etc.  Easier on and off ship in ports.  Quieter than other balconies.  No sun, almost always shady.  Room and balcony slightly larger.  Closer to water = less motion of the ocean.

Cons-if you want sunny, not your spot.  When ship is moving, sometimes you get splashes up on balcony.  They will close off your balcony in rough seas for that reason.  Always a little salt on railings from the splashing.

Edited by ABQrobin

1 minute ago, ABQrobin said:

Pros- closer to water, so in port you have different views, can see fish, etc, pier runners, etc.  Easier on and off ship in ports.  Quieter than other balconies.  No sun, almost always shady.  Room and balcony slightly larger.

Cons-if you want sunny, not your spot.  

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, JaniceB said:

I picked a cove on the new ships because the balconies look down on the deck 5 deck area so I wanted to be close to the water and not look down at people walking or in a hot tub.

So I am too planning on sailing on a new ship, the Panorama.  So do all the newer ships have the hot tubs along the sides of the ship on deck 5?

I keep seeing people saying that Cove balcony rooms have easier on and off ships in ports.  How does that work?  Do you just mean that there is an advantage because you are on a lower floor or what? 

Not like you can just jump off the boat from your Cove balcony or something like that (although I am sure some jerk tries once and awhile.)

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Marauder40 said:

I keep seeing people saying that Cove balcony rooms have easier on and off ships in ports.  How does that work?  Do you just mean that there is an advantage because you are on a lower floor or what? 

Not like you can just jump off the boat from your Cove balcony or something like that (although I am sure some jerk tries once and awhile.)

Yes, just means you only have to go down stairs 2 levels, then back up 2 levels.  No need to wait for an elevator which most people do, and takes forever.  

• Like 2

Give me a cove balcony over a regular balcony any day of the week. WE love cove balconies!!! 

They're shaded, they're secluded, they're closer to the water, it's quicker to get on/off at ports, it's quicker to the atrium. We love them. 

Never seen them close any doors during rough weather. We've been on a cove balcony and sailed through a tropical storm. I sat on the balcony the entire time, watching the rough waves. Never got wet (from the waves), never had the door closed.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

Give me a cove balcony over a regular balcony any day of the week. WE love cove balconies!!! 

They're shaded, they're secluded, they're closer to the water, it's quicker to get on/off at ports, it's quicker to the atrium. We love them. 

Never seen them close any doors during rough weather. We've been on a cove balcony and sailed through a tropical storm. I sat on the balcony the entire time, watching the rough waves. Never got wet (from the waves), never had the door closed.  

teknoge3k, I think you just convinced me to try a cove balcony!  I won't know if I like them or not until I actually book one.

• Like 2

We thought about booking a cove for our cruise, but without seeing them, we were not sure.  Maybe if there is a next time.  We were on deck 11 balconies on our last 2 RCI cruises, so the Lido Balcony this time is a pretty good comparison.  Maybe I will try and get a peak on a cove to check out it, and go from there.  Sure seems to be allot that love them.

4 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

I agree with everything teknoge3k says.  The cove balcony is also the lowest price point for balcony cabins.  They are usually less expensive than those on higher decks.  One thing to watch for when picking a cove is to make sure you're not under the galley.  Some on CC have complained about galley noise during the night above their cabin.  In other words, try to find one that is forward of the mid-ship elevators on your cruise deck plans.

• Like 1

We tried it once on the Magic. The room seemed the same to me but the balcony was a nice change from higher up. I agree with comments about looking down on deck 5, I am not particularly fond of that. I would also heed the warning of being under the galley. We made that mistake and first thought there was an all  night bowling alley I wasn't aware of.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, rukkian said:

We thought about booking a cove for our cruise, but without seeing them, we were not sure.  Maybe if there is a next time.  We were on deck 11 balconies on our last 2 RCI cruises, so the Lido Balcony this time is a pretty good comparison.  Maybe I will try and get a peak on a cove to check out it, and go from there.  Sure seems to be allot that love them.

I’m with you....w/o seeing them in very hesitant to book.  Pictures anyone? 

We are in the minority,  we had a cove balcony and it wasnt for us.  Not enough sunshine,  no view's while docked in port and the last sea day  we couldn't even go out on the balcony .  It was a rough day and there was a lot of sea spray.  We were midship.  I will say it was nice and easy to get on and off the ship while in ports. 

20190203_115337.jpg

Get a cove balcony, you won’t bake in the sun.  The sound and proximity to the water is fantastic, l will never go back to a regular balcony.  The views are fine, you won’t be looking at bridges in the Caribbean.

Edited by Mr305
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, nissach said:

We have our first cove balcony coming up and I'm curious; when you say close off your balcony what do you mean? Ive never heard of them closing down a balcony to a room before but we've only ever gotten a balcony once. Wondering how that works

Edited by matymil

16 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

Pros- closer to water, so in port you have different views, can see fish, etc, pier runners, etc.  Easier on and off ship in ports.  Quieter than other balconies.  No sun, almost always shady.  Room and balcony slightly larger.  Closer to water = less motion of the ocean.

Cons-if you want sunny, not your spot.  When ship is moving, sometimes you get splashes up on balcony.  They will close off your balcony in rough seas for that reason.  Always a little salt on railings from the splashing.

Meant to quote this comment :)