Disembark with Seniors Question

thesmiths

We have an 11:55 AM Flight from FLL.

Not worried about making it, Plenty of time from Everglades Port.

I have my parents 88 & 87 and my wife who is disabled, all can walk but slow.

I have Larrys set at 8:30 to pick us up.

None of us in Suites, Diamond Plat or FTTF.

Just me in an Aft Wrap 🙂

How should I approach the disembark with my parents without them getting stressed to much?

Thank you !

Edited by thesmiths

1 minute ago, thesmiths said:

We have an 11:55 AM Flight from FLL.

Not worried about making it, Plenty of time from Everglades Port.

I have my parents 88 & 87 and my wife who is disabled, all can walk but slow.

I have Larrys set at 8:30 to pick us up.

None of us in Suites, Diamond Plat or FTTF.

Just me in an Aft Wrap 🙂

How should I approach the disembark with my parents without them getting stressed to much?

Thank you !

ask guest services. i'm pretty sure they'd give you tags to get off early. they let disabled people on early. or you could even ask if you could have wheelchair assistance. they take you a different secret way off the ship.

• Like 1

1.  Your flight times qualify you for the "early flight" debarkation  process.  Guest services can help you with the details.  We've never personally done this, so I'm sure others can give better details.

2.  With elderly parents and a disabled wife I would ask for wheel chair assisted debarkation (and embarkation).  It is so tiring with the long walk and awkward using the escalators.  I am able to walk, but getting to the point that wheelchair assistance is on my horizon.  You can let Carnival Special Needs know pre-cruise about your concerns and they will help with details.  Once onboard, guest services can help you with any follow up. The important part is to contact Special Needs before your cruise. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RRLLAL said:

ask guest services. i'm pretty sure they'd give you tags to get off early. they let disabled people on early. or you could even ask if you could have wheelchair assistance. they take you a different secret way off the ship.

This is no longer true. Disabled people board with their zone. 

• Like 1

You really may want to consider wheel chair assistance. Otherwise, I could see a situation where you’re stressed being off by 8:30 and that stress rubs off on them, and before you know it everyone’s stressed and moving slower. 

If that’s not an option, could you consider taking a cab (or 2) to the airport? It may be more expensive, but at least then you could frame it as “we just need to get off as quickly as possible,” versus “we have to be off by 8:30 for the shuttle.”

Apologies if that’s not the type of help you’re looking for, I’m just drawing on my personal experiences with trying to coordinate getting places with my mom, who isn’t a fast walker. 

On 4/25/2019 at 7:01 PM, RoperDK said:

1.  Your flight times qualify you for the "early flight" debarkation  process.  Guest services can help you with the details.  

Thank you all.

Much appreciated.

Will check into the early disembark ? This can be done onboard?

Is this self carry luggage?

8 hours ago, thesmiths said:

Thank you all.

Much appreciated.

Hi

It is not self carry luggage. 

The people who are able to do self assist need to be able walk off the ship with no assistance with all their luggage. On the ship, they issue numbered zone tags that are called out for debarkation in order. What you want to have is a low number. You will need to ask guest services deck for this. Hopefully #2 or 3.

There is still the issue of your parents mobility. You say they can walk, but slowly. The distances you have to walk on a cruise, for almost anything (not just embarkation/debarkation...getting off at ports, going from the MDR to the theater), are huge. Are you sure they will be able to manage without being exhausted or in pain after? If you are not sure, ask them. If necessary, you could consider bringing a regular folding wheelchair. Just one, as a back up.

whatever works for you

have a great cruise

15 hours ago, thesmiths said:

Thank you all.

Much appreciated.

Yes, the low number tags needed for early disembarkation for an early flight time is done onboard at guest services. If it were me, I'd go to guest services early in the week.  Pick a time when the line isn't too long.  I'm not sure that you can pick up your tags early in the week, but they can explain the process and answer any questions you might have.  If you wait until the last day, guest services will be a zoo and the best tags may be gone already.  

You can get the early flight tags for either self carry or checked the night before luggage.    

Definitely contact  specialneeds@carnival.com  before your trip.  They will advise you how to get wheelchair assistance which I highly recommend as any walking saved adds to the amount of walking your travel companions will be able to  do to get to lunch, etc once you board.  Also, if your ship doesn't have indoor muster stations in lounges, etc. , ask about special muster for people who need assistance or need to be able to sit during muster.   Since no one has priority status, make sure you ask guest services desk about assisted debarkation.  Early debarkation (I believe) requires you to haul your own luggage off the ship.  That with 3 of your party using wheelchairs would be a difficult feat.  Remember, the ship has to clear customs before anyone is let off so just one non- U.S. passenger not reporting to customs can delay the whole ship!