Rescheduling cruise because of pregnancy?

ScottIsMyName

We booked our cruise prior to my wife getting pregnant, and chose not to book travel insurance.  Final payment has already been made.

My wife will be about 16 weeks pregnant when we board early next month (well below the 24 week max set by DCL).  However, we're travelling to Mexico and our doctor advised her/warned her about the Zika virus.

I'm waiting to hear back from our TA, but does anyone know if we would be allowed to reschedule if necessary?  This is a lot of money to simply lose if we decide not to go.

Edited by ScottIsMyName

55 minutes ago, ScottIsMyName said:

We booked our cruise prior to my wife getting pregnant, and chose not to book travel insurance.  Final payment has already been made.

My wife will be about 16 weeks pregnant when we board early next month (well below the 24 week max set by DCL).  However, we're travelling to Mexico and our doctor advised her/warned her about the Zika virus.

I'm waiting to hear back from our TA, but does anyone know if we would be allowed to reschedule if necessary?  This is a lot of money to simply lose if we decide not to go.

When the Zika virus first started being an issue, many cruise lines allowed changes in cruises.  I'm not sure how forgiving they are now.

Best case, they will let you transfer the monies you've paid to another cruise (Alaska = no Zika).  Worst case you cancel and lose whatever the amount is for how far out you are from the cruise.  

This is one example of why even "perfectly healthy" people should purchase travel insurance.  You never know what's going to come up.

I wouldn't necessarily cancel the cruise. You are aware of the problem and can take steps to avoid problems.

You will not have a problem with mosquitos on board ship while at sea.

In port, be careful on where you go. Don't go out in early morning or around dusk when some species are most active.  Don't do excursions that takes you into marshy areas. Don't sit in the shade under a Tiki hut (or tree) where mosquitoes might be hiding during the day.

If you do go off the ship, wear insect repellent.

And, most importantly, avoid anyone who is crying death and destruction for going on the cruise and enjoy yourselves.

40 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Don't go out in early morning or around dusk when some species are most active.  Don't do excursions that takes you into marshy areas. Don't sit in the shade under a Tiki hut (or tree) where mosquitoes might be hiding during the day.

Unlike "most" mosquitoes, the mosquitoes that carry the Zika virus are not active only in the early morning or dusk.  They fly all day.

Thanks for the responses.

I contacted my TA and she said Disney would let us schedule a new cruise or even get a full refund.  I was pleasantly surprised by this.

However, after careful consideration, we're just going to take precautions.  We've already been to all the port cities and probably weren't going to get off the ship anyways.  We got a lot of repellent and other supplies that should keep her bug free.

After looking at the "Zika map" published by the CDC, the area we're travelling to (Mexico) is the same color as our hometown (San Diego)

• Like 2

On 4/30/2019 at 7:20 PM, Shmoo here said:

Unlike "most" mosquitoes, the mosquitoes that carry the Zika virus are not active only in the early morning or dusk.  They fly all day.

Maybe so. But like any insect that needs to feed on a mammal, they will be found flying near to the ground  where the mammals are located. A breeze will also stop them from flying.

As I stated, insect repellant and care in where one sits or walks will help. Also the wearing of light colored clothes as mosquitoes are attracted to the dark (fur) of their prey.

In any case, OP, have a great time.

My family and I are on this same cruise right now on the Disney Wonder, and just FYI we have not had any problems with mosquitoes (or any bugs). Enjoy your cruise, this ship is awesome!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm really curious--do you know whether your TA actually contacted DCL and got that information or whether she was speaking off the "top of her head?"  I question it because what you were told is not the normal policy.

DO enjoy your cruise .  Take precautions and don't worry.  However, as above, this is a reason that everyone should consider travel insurance.  Another point--my medical insurance specifically excludes any coverage outside the US.  People might want to check their policies.  I would not be happy to lose the cost of a cruise, but the cost of medical care should something happen on a cruise could be really awful!