Packing anxiety (& excitement) leaving in a week?

Hi all, I borrowed my title from Hoyaheel & Lois's threads...   Leaving in a week, pretty much packed (it's all in packing cubes & laid out to be put in suitcases)   It seems though, that however many times I've done this I still agonize over whether or not I've brought enough, have the right things, etc.   

I know a few of you just wait till 2 or 3 days before you leave, & then casually toss in things & look perfectly put together, but am I the only one who agonizes?   

Just FYI, we're doing two weeks driving through Scotland, followed by 4 days in Dublin, then getting on the Ireland & Iceland cruise.   Can't wait but also ridiculously agonizing  

Edited by cruise kitty

OMG! How exciting. It sounds like a fabulous trip.We too are leaving next week. Flying to Brussels for a short stay then train to Amsterdam for a 2 day stay before boarding our cruise to the Norwegian Fjords round trip from Amsterdam. When we return we are taking the train to Paris for a few days before flying home. The cruise is a family trip but Paris is just DH and me. We just booked it all last week so it has been a mad dash to put it all together. Thanks to DS who is a very experienced world traveler, it’s coming together.

Yes, some pack at the last minute but I get it all together before that. I actually packed my roll aboard and my personal item yesterday so I could see if I needed to eliminate anything. It all fits.  Then I took all the clothes out and hung them up.  Will repack in a few days. 

No, you aren’t the only one who agonizes-I’m right there with you! Have a great trip and I look forward to hearing about it when you return.

Sharon

Packing is a nightmare..full stop !!!!

I always pack way, way too much and return with two thirds of the items unworn. I read all I can about packing lightly, layering, Vivienne files about capsule wardrobes but still I fail miserably. This is not only for cruises  but any trips or even weekends away...have no idea why..just like to have options...and don't get me started on shoes.

Bon Voyage!

Oh, I obsess as soon as I book something! I start my powerpoint with photos of my clothing & accessories, planning out each day what to wear to help with my packing light ;-) I do this for work, too, not just vacation trips ;-)

Your trip sounds amazing - have fun!

Edited by Hoyaheel

Hi girls, I cannot honestly say I obsess but this past cruise? I did seem to have some issues with what to bring because I thought we may have weather issues.  I don't want to use the word agonize (for me anyway) it sounds too serious LOL...it is after all clothing.…….

Your trip sounds fantastic:classic_biggrin:....Scotland and Ireland......they are on my list!

I just got home from my recent cruise last weekend....when I packed up at the end I realized I had not worn at least 3 pair of slacks I had brought with me...….:classic_wacko:

Hope you have a great trip!

I'm not a fan of the packing!

In order to make it a bit easier, I've devised a master packing list. It's about 4 pages long, and contains everything we might need, based on previous cruise experiences.

I print the whole list, then cross out the things we won't need to take.. e.g. winter clothing to the Caribbean.

Then I'm left with the categories of things that I need to pack. 

It seems to work, as I've never left anything behind.

I'm going on a cruise on the 5th of May, to Amsterdam, Scotland, Ireland and Honfleur.  As yet, I haven't made a start. But it's only a 10 day cruise, and now that I'm retired, I have more time.

I'm waiting a bit longer to see what the weather forecasts are like, in order to get a better idea of what I need to take.  Easter was beautiful weather in the UK, but it's turned windy and chillier now.

For the OP, I'd suggest layers of clothing are the way to go. You could quite literally get ANY type of weather! 

13 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

OMG! How exciting. It sounds like a fabulous trip.We too are leaving next week. Flying to Brussels for a short stay then train to Amsterdam for a 2 day stay before boarding our cruise to the Norwegian Fjords round trip from Amsterdam. When we return we are taking the train to Paris for a few days before flying home. The cruise is a family trip but Paris is just DH and me. We just booked it all last week so it has been a mad dash to put it all together. Thanks to DS who is a very experienced world traveler, it’s coming together.

Yes, some pack at the last minute but I get it all together before that. I actually packed my roll aboard and my personal item yesterday so I could see if I needed to eliminate anything. It all fits.  Then I took all the clothes out and hung them up.  Will repack in a few days. 

No, you aren’t the only one who agonizes-I’m right there with you! Have a great trip and I look forward to hearing about it when you return.

Sharon

that's amazing to pull that all together in such a short time!   I'm an obsessive planner, so I think a surprise trip would not be fun for me lol :)   Paris is gorgeous, hope you have a wonderful time.  

8 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Packing is a nightmare..full stop !!!!

I always pack way, way too much and return with two thirds of the items unworn. I read all I can about packing lightly, layering, Vivienne files about capsule wardrobes but still I fail miserably. This is not only for cruises  but any trips or even weekends away...have no idea why..just like to have options...and don't get me started on shoes.

Bon Voyage!

I'm pretty good at packing light, but this time we're not carrying on as one of our flights is a regional, that doesn't allow regular carry ons.  So this has thrown my whole usual packing scheme into a loop.   The unpredictable weather where we're going makes me want to pack more, but I know I'll be sorry if I do. :)

5 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

Oh, I obsess as soon as I book something! I start my powerpoint with photos of my clothing & accessories, planning out each day what to wear to help with my packing light ;-) I do this for work, too, not just vacation trips ;-)

Your trip sounds amazing - have fun!

Ok, the powerpoint, you have me beat lol :)   I do have lists, & I know what I should do, it's just the execution...  do I need 3 long sleeved black tees plus a grey one? I know I don't, but...   my husband just laughs because he knows this is part of my travel "process"  I should get off this board & get back to work :)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi girls, I cannot honestly say I obsess but this past cruise? I did seem to have some issues with what to bring because I thought we may have weather issues.  I don't want to use the word agonize (for me anyway) it sounds too serious LOL...it is after all clothing.…….

Your trip sounds fantastic:classic_biggrin:....Scotland and Ireland......they are on my list!

I just got home from my recent cruise last weekend....when I packed up at the end I realized I had not worn at least 3 pair of slacks I had brought with me...….:classic_wacko:

Hope you have a great trip!

I guess agonize is a bit of an extreme word :classic_biggrin:  It's definitely the weather that has me worried with this one.  Last year they had blizzards in Iceland in May :classic_unsure:    I read your packing thread, & you sounded so relaxed about it...   I don't want to end up dragging along things that I won't wear,  but on the other hand I really like everything I've packed so far.  Definitely first world problems, right?

& yes, I'm really excited about where we're going, hopefully the weather will cooperate, & if not, well, I'm packed for it ;)

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I'm not a fan of the packing!

In order to make it a bit easier, I've devised a master packing list. It's about 4 pages long, and contains everything we might need, based on previous cruise experiences.

I print the whole list, then cross out the things we won't need to take.. e.g. winter clothing to the Caribbean.

Then I'm left with the categories of things that I need to pack. 

It seems to work, as I've never left anything behind.

I'm going on a cruise on the 5th of May, to Amsterdam, Scotland, Ireland and Honfleur.  As yet, I haven't made a start. But it's only a 10 day cruise, and now that I'm retired, I have more time.

I'm waiting a bit longer to see what the weather forecasts are like, in order to get a better idea of what I need to take.  Easter was beautiful weather in the UK, but it's turned windy and chillier now.

For the OP, I'd suggest layers of clothing are the way to go. You could quite literally get ANY type of weather! 

Hi, & thanks for the tips,  yes I do have my lists, I think my biggest problem is the pre cruise travel,  on the ship we have lots of free laundry, & I'll pay to get some things washed as well,  I'm just trying to balance out packing light for the driving portion, while having enough clean things to last for the days we don't have access to laundry.    

Enjoy your trip!    I guess I better get back to it :)

I have packing anxiety attacks.  Seriously.   I know what I want to take as it runs through my head like a hamster on a wheel.  I've tried packing in advance, doesn't help.  I usually end up looking at my clock and telling myself I MUST LEAVE NOW or I will miss my flight.    I don't know why I get such anxiety, since I am a believer in "if I need something and didn't pack it, I can always find it and buy it."

39 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I have packing anxiety attacks.  Seriously.   I know what I want to take as it runs through my head like a hamster on a wheel.  I've tried packing in advance, doesn't help.  I usually end up looking at my clock and telling myself I MUST LEAVE NOW or I will miss my flight.    I don't know why I get such anxiety, since I am a believer in "if I need something and didn't pack it, I can always find it and buy it."

Sorry you have such anxiety about it.  Do you have issues with being late for work, dates for appts? etc...…….sounds as if you have a real issue with more than just packing for a cruise....(that is how it comes across to me).  

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

I am a believer in "if I need something and didn't pack it, I can always find it and buy it."

I am borderline plus size, have large feet and large boobs, and for years, most of my work travel was Asia. So, yeah, if I forgot or destroyed clothing, I wasn't going to easily find a replacement (even in US travel, I broke a bra strap in Orlando a few years back and there was nothing nearby that had anything I could buy to replace, not enough time to have something shipped (and I didn't have a rental car). So I'm sort of paranoid about a few things.

I just packed for a work trip - leaving tomorrow, 4 nights. 22" carryon and a tote - which is what I want to use for my summer Asia trip (22" rolling bag and a backpack for carry-on) but I am not sure how I'm going to do that. My medicine bag has too much in it - that's where I'll start I guess. I have a good idea of the clothing but will probably have to carry less than I want. I need to get there mentally ;-)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

Luckily for me it's not that bad...  We don't leave till next weekend, & I"ll be done by tomorrow.   I seriously think this is just part of my "pregame"  so to say.   We plan these trips so far in advance & I want everything to be "perfect"  which is really ridiculous on my part.   

4 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

I am borderline plus size, have large feet and large boobs, and for years, most of my work travel was Asia. So, yeah, if I forgot or destroyed clothing, I wasn't going to easily find a replacement (even in US travel, I broke a bra strap in Orlando a few years back and there was nothing nearby that had anything I could buy to replace, not enough time to have something shipped (and I didn't have a rental car). So I'm sort of paranoid about a few things.

I just packed for a work trip - leaving tomorrow, 4 nights. 22" carryon and a tote - which is what I want to use for my summer Asia trip (22" rolling bag and a backpack for carry-on) but I am not sure how I'm going to do that. My medicine bag has too much in it - that's where I'll start I guess. I have a good idea of the clothing but will probably have to carry less than I want. I need to get there mentally 😉

Yep, I can certainly identify! We never check bags so like you it’s a roll aboard and a tote. As I get older there seems to be more necessities that must be packed. Clothes are the least of my worries. I have certain items I always travel with so it’s easy compared to all the other paraphernalia probably a lot of which I could leave at home but feel better bringing with me. 

Glad to know that I’m not alone!

Sharon

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

Sorry you have such anxiety about it.  Do you have issues with being late for work, dates for appts? etc...…….sounds as if you have a real issue with more than just packing for a cruise....(that is how it comes across to me).  

Nope, I'm always on time or even early for work, appointments, etc.    I've been this way for decades.   

1 hour ago, purduemom1 said:

Cruise kitty, are you leaving from Amsterdam on the 5th? We leave from there on the 5th on Holland America, going to the Norwegian Fjords and back to Amsterdam.

Sharon

Hi, no we're on the Celebrity Reflection on the 16th,  we're leaving a little early for some travel in Scotland & then a pre cruise stay in Dublin (we embark there)  

Have a great trip,  the Fjords are on my "to do" list :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have found my people!  Sorry to be late to this party/discussion...this is great.

Quick question, we have traveled/cruised a great deal but this is our first trip  to Alaska.

Regarding our jackets and heavy stuff, I plan to use those vacuum bags.  I did this years ago on a trip to China and it worked great.  

Does anyone know if the cruise lines will give me a hard time about my tiny portable vacuum for the bags?  It uses AA batteries and I am bit worried about the Suitcase Police  sending my checked bag to the naughty room on our ship.  Would it be better if I carried this on-board in my carry on.

Thanks in advance!

Donna

4 hours ago, Realblonde474 said:

Does anyone know if the cruise lines will give me a hard time about my tiny portable vacuum for the bags?  It uses AA batteries and I am bit worried about the Suitcase Police  sending my checked bag to the naughty room on our ship.  Would it be better if I carried this on-board in my carry on.

Thanks in advance!

Donna

Have you considered vacuum bags that you can sit on to squash the air out ? 

They are available in Poundland/ Dollartree type shops. We have used them to put our jackets into hand luggage after sailing around the Horn. 

Also some stores now produce jackets that squash down to very small sizes and come with their own travel bag.

• Like 2

Going to eastern med next week and the weather in the Adriatic has been horrible recently shower, cloudy and cool so have totally had to rethink my wardrobe just in case. So more layers that can be shed or added to depending on the weather. Meanwhile 4 days to go and DH hasnt even looked at what hes taking despite my nagging. Money says I'll be doing laundry and ironing night b4 we go. God luv him.🙄😍

Edited by 2BACRUISER

On 5/9/2019 at 3:42 AM, Realblonde474 said:

I have found my people!  Sorry to be late to this party/discussion...this is great.

Quick question, we have traveled/cruised a great deal but this is our first trip  to Alaska.

Regarding our jackets and heavy stuff, I plan to use those vacuum bags.  I did this years ago on a trip to China and it worked great.  

Thanks in advance!

Donna

Don’t take the vacuum!  Your room steward will be glad to let you borrow his/hers!  Save the weight firvshors!

I make no apologies for bringing what I do on cruises.  I'd rather have choices and bring home clothing not worn, than wish I had brought something still hanging in the closet.  If you've figured out your pre-cruise clothing, your cruise wear will be easy, as it can stay snug in your suitcase until you get to the ship.

Don't bring along your little vacuum - ask your cabin steward and they will help you with your compression bags.  They're more than happy to assist.  Go and enjoy your cruise - you deserve it!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

On 4/27/2019 at 7:30 PM, purduemom1 said:

Cruise kitty, are you leaving from Amsterdam on the 5th? We leave from there on the 5th on Holland America, going to the Norwegian Fjords and back to Amsterdam.

Sharon

I am sailing on the Nieuw Statendamin July, traveling to the Norwegian Fjords and cities Bergen, Skjolden, Alesund, Eidsfjord. Is that what you are doing? I'd love to hear about your packing and your trip!