6 days on Magic or Horizon

MsMistiS

We are trying to choose our Jan. 2020 cruise.  We are trying to choose between 6 Days on Magic or Horizon.  Would love some feed back from those who have been on either or both. Here are the details. 

Horizon Spa Interior 6 day out of Miami

stops in Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. 

Magic Spa Interior 6 day out of Fort Lauderdale. 

Stops in Nassau, Amber Cove & Grand Turks

We have never been on a Vista class ship but have been to Cozumel & Grand Cayman several times. In contrast we have been on the Dream but have never been to Nassau or Amber Cove. What would your preference be and why? Also how are the spa amenities on each of the ships?  Is the Horizon much better?

I haven't been on the Horizon, but have been on the Vista.  I would choose the Magic because I prefer that size ship and didn't care for a few things on the Vista like the main theater, which reminds me of a high school gym, and the extremely long lines that we experienced the week we went.  For my upcoming cruise, I asked my husband if he wants the Horizon or Magic.  He said that if the Horizon is like the Vista, he wants the Magic.  So, we are cruising on the Magic next.

If you are going with kids or teens, I think they would prefer the Horizon because there is more for them to do.  Some people like the type of theater on the larger ships.  It's personal preference.  There is a lot to do on that size ship.

1 hour ago, MsMistiS said:

We are trying to choose our Jan. 2020 cruise.  We are trying to choose between 6 Days on Magic or Horizon.  Would love some feed back from those who have been on either or both. Here are the details. 

We have never been on a Vista class ship but have been to Cozumel & Grand Cayman several times. In contrast we have been on the Dream but have never been to Nassau or Amber Cove. What would your preference be and why? Also how are the spa amenities on each of the ships?  Is the Horizon much better?

TBH you aren't missing much with the Vista class. Ive been on the Vista twice, second time was better than the first because of the company however still our least favorite ship. On the flip side, like most Nassau is my least favorite post however I see just as much negative reviews for Ocho Rios for the same reasons. Also Fort Lauderdale is a much better terminal imo...easier to get to and way more organized.  We are doing the Magic in Mar...if I had to chose between these two I would go Magic in Jan.

• Like 1

To answer your Spa question, at least concerning the thermal suite areas, Magic’s is nicer than Horizon.  Magic has a thalassotherapy pool while Horizon has s small jacuzzi. They both have steam rooms, a sauna and heated lounge chairs. Horizon has an infrared room, not sure the exact name of it, that Magic doesn’t have, but I rarely used that room on Horizon and the similar room on Vista. 

I would choose the Horizon out of Miami for two particular reasons. I loved the Horizon, and wouldn't hesitate to choose it over another ship (but in my case for my next two cruises, I haven't been to those destinations and would love to go), but nonetheless,  it was an excellent ship! Plus, sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale is nothing compared to Miami! I cannot wait until 2020 when I get the chance to! 

On 4/27/2019 at 7:49 AM, soonernstlouis said:

If I was going on the Horizon, I’d much prefer going a week earlier (or later) on the 8 day cruise with the following itinerary:

Grand Turk

La Ramano

Curacao

Aruba

But I’m more of a port/adventure type of person.

I would much prefer that itinerary but our week off is set a year in advance so this is whats available for that week. That is why we are considering Magic.  It has a much better itinerary even though we didn’t love the Dream. 

On 4/26/2019 at 9:00 PM, MsMistiS said:

We are trying to choose our Jan. 2020 cruise.  

On 4/27/2019 at 7:49 AM, soonernstlouis said:

If I was going on the Horizon, I’d much prefer going a week earlier (or later) on the 8 day cruise with the following itinerary:

Grand Turk

La Ramano

Curacao

Aruba

⬆️ This ⬆️ 

2 hours ago, MsMistiS said:

I would much prefer that itinerary but our week off is set a year in advance so this is whats available for that week. That is why we are considering Magic.  It has a much better itinerary even though we didn’t love the Dream. 

It's a shame you can't switch your date to the 8-night sailing on Horizon. The itenerary is far superior than both Horizon 6-night & Magic 6-night.

If I had to choose/settle, between the two 6-night cruises that you listed, I would certainly pick the Horizon itenerary over the Magic itenerary. Good luck!

• Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 9:00 PM, MsMistiS said:

Been on both ships, like both ships, since you haven't been on the Vista,,,,,,are you gonna plan another trip on the Vista, if not, our opinion,,,,

take the Vista for the experience of a different, new ship!

Spa amenities on both are decent. 

The big difference in the 2 ships for us was,,,,

The showroom, and the buffet!

We liked the set up of the Vista better.

The showroom is designed on the lower level with stages around you in the audience, so you get up close to the performers. It is smaller so you'll want to get there earlier to sit on the lower level. The Dream class showroom which the Magic is, has so many lower level seats 'on the sides', not a good view,!

The buffet on the Vista had more tables, fewer booths which big guys like me enjoy the extra space!-)) 

5 hours ago, AmBear said:

Been on both ships, like both ships, since you haven't been on the Vista,,,,,,are you gonna plan another trip on the Vista, if not, our opinion,,,,

take the Vista for the experience of a different, new ship!

Spa amenities on both are decent. 

The big difference in the 2 ships for us was,,,,

The showroom, and the buffet!

We liked the set up of the Vista better.

The showroom is designed on the lower level with stages around you in the audience, so you get up close to the performers. It is smaller so you'll want to get there earlier to sit on the lower level. The Dream class showroom which the Magic is, has so many lower level seats 'on the sides', not a good view,!

The buffet on the Vista had more tables, fewer booths which big guys like me enjoy the extra space!-)) 

Did I miss something?  When did Vista become an option?

For the ship I’d do Horizon. For the new ports I’d do Magic. I haven’t been on either but I’ve been on Vista, Breeze and Dream. The things I didn’t like about vista class were the smaller comedy club and smaller alchemy bar. For a serenity person that area seemed more crowded. I didn’t experience the long lines and main lounge issues others reported. The room TVs, ship cam quality and internet speeds blow away the other classes. Same for the number of bars, food and entertainment options. 

On 4/26/2019 at 8:00 PM, MsMistiS said:

I would choose horizon because it’s newer. I have not sailed on that class of ship before. I also like the ports that the horizon is going to, specifically Grand Cayman and never been to Ocho Rios, I would probably make grand Cayman or Cozumel a day to enjoy the ship. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

For the ship I’d do Horizon. For the new ports I’d do Magic. I haven’t been on either but I’ve been on Vista, Breeze and Dream. The things I didn’t like about vista class were the smaller comedy club and smaller alchemy bar. For a serenity person that area seemed more crowded. I didn’t experience the long lines and main lounge issues others reported. The room TVs, ship cam quality and internet speeds blow away the other classes. Same for the number of bars, food and entertainment options. 

I am surprised you didn’t experience crowded lounges on Vista. We have cruised on both Vista and Horizon and always had to deal with the lounges being crowded for every show with the exception of a few of the early PG comedy shows.  When we were on Horizon last month, seats were basically gone 20 minutes before every show in both lounges. 

Since we are big fans of the Alchemy Bar, I would pick Magic over Horizon based on that alone. It’s great hanging out there at night and listening to the band at Ocean Plaza. Of course most people likely won’t pick a ship based on one bar. But this is one of many reasons why we prefer Dream class ships over Vista class ships. 

As for internet speeds, when I am on a cruise I don’t care about having access to the internet. I know a lot of people feel differently and people like you give great real time reviews, which I enjoy following. But when I am on a cruise I never seem to have enough time  to do everything I want, and can’t imagine where I would find the time to post stuff online. 

5 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I am surprised you didn’t experience crowded lounges on Vista. We have cruised on both Vista and Horizon and always had to deal with the lounges being crowded for every show with the exception of a few of the early PG comedy shows.  When we were on Horizon last month, seats were basically gone 20 minutes before every show in both lounges. 

Since we are big fans of the Alchemy Bar, I would pick Magic over Horizon based on that alone. It’s great hanging out there at night and listening to the band at Ocean Plaza. Of course most people likely won’t pick a ship based on one bar. But this is one of many reasons why we prefer Dream class ships over Vista class ships. 

As for internet speeds, when I am on a cruise I don’t care about having access to the internet. I know a lot of people feel differently and people like you give great real time reviews, which I enjoy following. But when I am on a cruise I never seem to have enough time  to do everything I want, and can’t imagine where I would find the time to post stuff online. 

The comedy club got packed for most of the R shows and one PG show. And there wasn’t much room for standing room only. There would be people after one show lined up for the next but It wasn’t necessary unless they wanted specific seats. I would leave and come back 15 minutes before the next show and there would be seats. I stood once or twice when I got there right as the show started. Two nights they had a late night comedy showcase in the main lounge. That was great.

The main lounge I felt was less crowded than some of the Dream Class cruises I’ve been on. I remember the lip synch finale being standing room only on Breeze. On Vista I was sitting in the upper level and looking at 4 seats open together up there and 5 together on the lower level.

I like the bigger alchemy on Dream Class, but I didn’t like it being in ocean plaza. It’s loud and you get too many people that aren’t there for the alchemy. The alchemy is about drinks and bartenders...not live music. Late afternoon you’ll get people taking up the alchemy seats to play trivia. On vista it was more challenging to get a seat at the bar but if it was full the steakhouse bar is right there, the red frog pub is just past it, the ocean plaza bar past that, the Havana bar past that. There was never a lack of places to drink.

2CBBA08B-9BF3-46D5-ABC2-6E65FD298C5B.jpeg

EF8611B5-6306-45E4-91A4-5AA353611F9D.jpeg

AEF07F5C-0913-4E17-ABB2-4768C22CC993.jpeg

5E855249-1527-4CB4-8718-ABB5E08D2654.jpeg

A77B2044-C1C1-4E26-80A6-170562D67FF9.jpeg

773333C6-8754-49FB-98AC-2E69D9ED50C1.jpeg

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

Just off the Horizon yesterday and never had a problem getting a good seat in any performance walking in 10 minutes before. Long lines outside Laughliner lounge for the later shows but no need to stand in line as you could come back 15 minutes later and walk right in.

Liked that there were also never any lines for dinging. We had anytime dining and always got a table right away. No wait.

Seemed the least crowded of any ship I have been on. Also the largest. Couldn’t always find the “perfect” spot on Serenity but there are always lots of empty padded loungers on deck 5.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Just off the Horizon yesterday and never had a problem getting a good seat in any performance walking in 10 minutes before. Long lines outside Laughliner lounge for the later shows but no need to stand in line as you could come back 15 minutes later and walk right in.

Liked that there were also never any lines for dinging. We had anytime dining and always got a table right away. No wait.

Seemed the least crowded of any ship I have been on. Also the largest. Couldn’t always find the “perfect” spot on Serenity but there are always lots of empty padded loungers on deck 5.

ATD that’s another good point. On Dream and Breeze they sent everyone to the deck 3 mid dining room entrance and there was always a short line. Long lines on elegant nights and the last night. On vista you had the option of checking in at the desk on promenade as early as 5pm...or starting at 5:30 you could use the app or just show up at the deck 3 or deck 4 entrances. I only ate in the MDR on what would be the busier nights. The two elegant and the last night. I walked right up each time and there was no line.

Edited by Saint Greg

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

I like the bigger alchemy on Dream Class, but I didn’t like it being in ocean plaza. It’s loud and you get too many people that aren’t there for the alchemy. The alchemy is about drinks and bartenders...not live music. Late afternoon you’ll get people taking up the alchemy seats to play trivia. On vista it was more challenging to get a seat at the bar but if it was full the steakhouse bar is right there, the red frog pub is just past it, the ocean plaza bar past that, the Havana bar past that. There was never a lack of places to drink.

You do bring up a good point about the music possibly being too loud in the Ocean Plaza. I have found the location on Vista and Horizon to be on the loud side due to the constant traffic that always seems to be passing by. I guess it comes down to personal preference. Personally I think Dream class ships have the best location when it comes to the Alchemy Bar. I also like the location of the Alchemy Bar on Spirit class ships, which is usually on the quieter side except when people are going to or leaving the MDR. 

My PVP really wanted me to book to the Magic over the Horizon and for me FLL is much easier to get to than MIA.  I have to fly to FLL and take some form of transportation to MIA.  MIA from my area isn't affordable and not many fly there.

1 hour ago, JaniceB said:

My PVP really wanted me to book to the Magic over the Horizon and for me FLL is much easier to get to than MIA.  I have to fly to FLL and take some form of transportation to MIA.  MIA from my area isn't affordable and not many fly there.

I’m interested in this situation because I’ve never cruised out of Florida. I just booked a FLL cruise and I’m looking at a MIA one.

It’s too far out for me to look at plane tickets for my specific dates but out of curiousity I just checked lyft because FLL and MIA look close.

Maybe I need to check on a weekend but right now from FLL to the port of Miami you can share at lyft for up to 2 people for $23 or get your own for up to 4 people for $33. No worse than going from MSY to the port of New Orleans. 

Edited by Saint Greg

I've flown into FLL for a Miami cruise.  I used Uber to get from the airport to my Miami hotel.  Used the hotel shuttle to get to the port.  Then I used Uber to get from the Miami port to FLL.  It was very easy and both times the driver showed up within 5 minutes.  Uber was much faster than waiting on a shuttle or using the ship's transportation.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

I just booked a FLL cruise and I’m looking at a MIA one.

Same, though I already sailed out of FLL for a Harmony of the Seas cruise. Flew into FLL and took the hotel shuttle to the hotel and to the port. $10 per person, not bad. Took an overly priced cab back to the airport for $20. I am planning to book an 8 night out of Miami in August 2020 and am currently viewing the options in terms of hotels and transportation.

Which is more important to you- the ship or the ports?   

We've been on Horizon and Magic and been to all the ports mentioned except for Amber Cove. 

For ships, Magic was my favorite, Horizon was my least favorite. It was too busy, felt like a mall inside.  Magic was just the right size and the atmosphere. We went on Magic twice and Dream once. I will probably not choose Horizon again (and have no interest in Vista).

For the ports, I'd prefer Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.