Coach to Southampton..reassurance please!

theweatherman

Hi everyone,

We usually drive to Southampton from the Midlands, but this year we’re having a change and have decided to go by coach arranged through P & O. We’ll be leaving from Hilton Park services on the M6. 

Niw, as a self-confessed control freak 😀 I’m a bit dubious about going by coach.

So can you lovely people give me some reassurance that coach is the way to go? What time is pick up and arrival usually (we cruise in July), are the coaches good and with air con? There are four of us travelling, is there usually any problem getting seats together? If you have any pictures of inside and outside of the coach I’d really appreciate it.

Yes I know it’s a first world problem,  but I look forward to your comments.

Thank you!

I would be dubious as well as it would be far better to catch the train to Southampton. It's a direct journey with no changes, more comfortable, far quicker taking about 3 hours and will cost less than £20/pp. When you get to Southampton  a taxi to the cruise terminal will cost about £10.  

I wonder what P&O are charging you ?

All the feedback I've heard about the coach links, whether with Eavesway or the current partner, have been very positive. I've never heard a single complaint, in fact.

Most people seem to regard it as part of the holiday. You're guaranteed to get there in time, your suitcases are taken care of - sounds good to me. I'd love to try it, but can't ever get to the connection points.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theweatherman said:

Hi everyone,

We usually drive to Southampton from the Midlands, but this year we’re having a change and have decided to go by coach arranged through P & O. We’ll be leaving from Hilton Park services on the M6. 

Niw, as a self-confessed control freak 😀 I’m a bit dubious about going by coach.

So can you lovely people give me some reassurance that coach is the way to go? What time is pick up and arrival usually (we cruise in July), are the coaches good and with air con? There are four of us travelling, is there usually any problem getting seats together? If you have any pictures of inside and outside of the coach I’d really appreciate it.

Thank you!

If this is the included coach then you have the benifit that the ship will wait if there is a traffic problem. No other transport will give this.

I agree with Jim, never heard any complaints.

• Like 2

We always use the coach transfer from Keele Services. Usually we book separate with Evesway but have also used the free coach supplied by P&O. They use a number of different coach operators but all of the coaches have been of a very high standard with air con, toilet, and sometimes drink facilities. No hassle at all, the driver puts your cases on the coach and the next time you see them is in your cabin. From Keele the pickup is usually 9:30 ish and depending on traffic arrive approx 1:30/2:30 ish. You might struggle to get 4 seats altogether it just depends how many passengers got on before you. Have a fab time 🤩

Take a posh picnic, something fun to drink, sit back, relax and enjoy! We travel from Lancashire on the cruise coach and have always had a pleasant journey both there and back. We consider it a stress free start to our holiday. 

• Like 2

We have only used the "include" coach service once and the service we had no problems with at all. The problems we had was at that time the pick up at Keele Services was 10am and we struggled to book a taxi to take us because they were all fully booked due to "school contracts". When we did eventually get one because we live 5-6 miles south of services we had to go to junction north of services to get access to M6 which was going opposite way to Southampton and 10 miles from our house so was more expensive. When we finally caught the coach it then stopped at Hilton Services (next services south M6) for an hour for those that had been on coach from Glasgow since early hours. So in effect we caught taxi at home at 9am to get to Keele and were still at Hilton at 1130am and still only 30 mins from home. On returning we were dropped off on northbound side of services and no taxi would pick us up at services so we had to man handle all our luggage across the bridge and then through lorry park on southbound side to a side road where taxi was waiting for us. Once we added price of taxis and the inconvenience we decided we would never travel by coach again and go day before cruise by car and stay in hotel pre cruise.

25 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

We have only used the "include" coach service once and the service we had no problems with at all. The problems we had was at that time the pick up at Keele Services was 10am and we struggled to book a taxi to take us because they were all fully booked due to "school contracts". When we did eventually get one because we live 5-6 miles south of services we had to go to junction north of services to get access to M6 which was going opposite way to Southampton and 10 miles from our house so was more expensive. When we finally caught the coach it then stopped at Hilton Services (next services south M6) for an hour for those that had been on coach from Glasgow since early hours. So in effect we caught taxi at home at 9am to get to Keele and were still at Hilton at 1130am and still only 30 mins from home. On returning we were dropped off on northbound side of services and no taxi would pick us up at services so we had to man handle all our luggage across the bridge and then through lorry park on southbound side to a side road where taxi was waiting for us. Once we added price of taxis and the inconvenience we decided we would never travel by coach again and go day before cruise by car and stay in hotel pre cruise.

Wow what a performance! We use a local chap who has got an airport transfer service, never had any problems he takes us to junction 16 then down to Keele. On the return we call him usually from Hilton Park and he is there waiting for us on the Northbound side. Brilliant service and very reasonable.

7 hours ago, theweatherman said:

Hi everyone,

Thank you!

Hi, did our first cruise coach transfer in May 2018 and hubby loved it so much that we have just done the same thing from Azura. We go from Keele Services and have to say that again we have found the service to be EXCELLENT! We have been allocated Intercruises and have been allocated Ellison's Coaches. The coaches are just beautiful and the drivers beyond friendly and knowledgeable.  Very modern, clean, toilets, air con etc etc.  On both occasions (school holidays) there have always been spaces on the coach. The pick ups go like a dream and there are stops on the way down (and back). It really is like a well oiled machine so please don't worry. For more info see below

PS You give them your cases and the next time you see them they are outside your cabin. On both occasions our cases have been at the cabin when we have checked in and got to it! On disembarkation you have to pick your cases up on the dock side and take them to your case. It really is a well oiled machine.

http://www.ellisonstravel.com/The-Fleet

Edited by Presto2

2 hours ago, theweatherman said:

Thank you all, that’s really useful information. I must admit I am looking forward to relaxing the moment we board the coach.

That's why hubby loves it - no stress of driving from Stoke on Trent down the motorway and back. We were a bit edgy about it when we first tried it, but it really is a lovely way to start a holiday and if you can get a deal where the coach transfer is included you are on to a winner.

Just now, Legal Stylist said:

Just a quick question (sorry to derail), but can you take standard hard sided airplane carry-on luggage on the bus? 

I only ask because it will be carrying our most precious cargo. Two bottles of gin 😉

Found out today that if you have a small hard sided flight case it has to go with the luggage, not on the coach, because it has wheels but as it was a hard case no worries. We took our precious cargo in a large rucksack though and that sat with us - there was plenty of leg room. We have just bought some of ours home (and 2 bottles we got on the ship) so they have all arrived home safety. :-)

25 minutes ago, Legal Stylist said:

Just a quick question (sorry to derail), but can you take standard hard sided airplane carry-on luggage on the bus? 

I only ask because it will be carrying our most precious cargo. Two bottles of gin 😉

Let it go with your cases,  we do, make sure it is well packed, we wrap ours in tea towels then the next time you see it, it will be in your cabin. No need to lug it onto the coach, never had a problem yet.

We travel from Washington services up in the North and highly recommend it. We choose the coach which is included with the select price and as dai said the ship waits for the coach if there is any traffic problems. So far we haven't had any. 

We give our cases to the driver and by the time we have boarded and found our cabin the cases have been at the door. When you arrive at the terminal there is barely enough time to fill out the declaration forms before your letter is called to proceed to the desk. 

When a coach arrives I believe they are given priority boarding. We have found the coaches so far to be comfortable with a toilet and Wi-Fi onboard. We are usually the first pick up so have a choice of seats depending on what time you get there. Our coach has been over half full at first boarding and we leave at six a.m. Usually arriving between one and two. The times aren't much help for where you are but will give you an idea. 

Hubby listens to a book on the way down and starts to wind down from work. No hassle of driving or lugging cases about. Plus you can take 3 medium size cases each plus your bag/rucksack in the bus. depending on size they will sit under your feet. There is a place above but it's easier to get out what you want, snacks,phones etc. Just remember not to put passports in any bags going in the hold as you won't see them when you get to Southampton.

Edited by emam
Spelling

57 minutes ago, Legal Stylist said:

Thanks so much for that! I will 'decant' it to a solid rucksack and go overkill and wrap it in bubble wrap.

Can you tell I love my gin? 🙂

We have a couple of bottle carriers we got from Amazon, so we put them in the carriers and then in to the rucksack. Bubble wrap seems good to us too ! Have to say, am not a gin lover, but my Martells brandy and the Vodka has travelled well today … oh and the Baileys and the Malibu (ha ha)

2 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

Wow what a performance! We use a local chap who has got an airport transfer service, never had any problems he takes us to junction 16 then down to Keele. On the return we call him usually from Hilton Park and he is there waiting for us on the Northbound side. Brilliant service and very reasonable.

Yes we had to go to jct16 which is a bit of distance from Stone but on return journey couldnt get any taxi come onto services either north or south so had to trudge to road at back of southbound services where service vehicles and emergency vehicles have access but not taxis so he waited there for us on the road.

55 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Yes we had to go to jct16 which is a bit of distance from Stone but on return journey couldnt get any taxi come onto services either north or south so had to trudge to road at back of southbound services where service vehicles and emergency vehicles have access but not taxis so he waited there for us on the road.

What a shame we can't recommend people he's only just north of you and very obliging. 

• 1 year later...

Hi has anyone used coach travel for a World Cruise ?? Not sure if the luggage allowance would be increased due to the duration of the cruise cause if not it’s no good to me. Any information would be appreciated 

Ann

Theres a bit of me would like to take the coach but its silly o'clock from the middle of Edinburgh for departure.  That means getting to Edinburgh and leaving the car which itself means having to get a taxi from car to coach.

Don't enjoy the drive from Borders to Southampton.  Its easy enough breaking it up on the way down but coming back i just like to get back rather than meander back.  Outing out feels part of the holiday coming back doesn't!

2 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

Theres a bit of me would like to take the coach but its silly o'clock from the middle of Edinburgh for departure.  That means getting to Edinburgh and leaving the car which itself means having to get a taxi from car to coach.

Don't enjoy the drive from Borders to Southampton.  Its easy enough breaking it up on the way down but coming back i just like to get back rather than meander back.  Outing out feels part of the holiday coming back doesn't!

Like you on our disembarkation at Southampton we just want to get back and find the coach often the best option.However we like the excitement of being in Southampton the night before the cruise so sometimes take the train to Southampton (or somewhere close e.g Winchester) and just book the coach one way.