Silversea Antarctica Cruise Rent or bring own expedition gear?

luvtocruise88

On 9/30/2019 at 12:29 PM, luvtocruise88 said:

Yes I believe we are!

Luvtocruise88 - for some reason I can't send you a message

feel free to message me

we found boots to purchase online for $50, Hisea on Amazon, so cheaper than renting

waterproof pants about $35 

can't wait for our trip - first leg starts next week

5 hours ago, luvtocruise88 said:

Can't seem to message you either.  Enjoy the first leg of your trip!  We are flying into Santiago beginning of December....hoping things calm down there and they don't close the airport again! 😞

We will be in Santiago for a few days before the cruise too. Some others from out LA to Chile trip will be too. Organizing some tours. Email me bethtex63 at Yahoo dot com if you want to join in.

• 3 years later...
On 9/30/2019 at 8:25 AM, Nitemare said:

You need WATERPROOF pants.  You will be standing in knee deep water that might come over the top of your boots, and ski pants aren't going to do the trick

Please forgive this newbie query, but I'd rather look foolish now than be unprepared. I've seen this type of comment on this board several times, yet I am still puzzled.

Yes, I understand one needs appropriate gear for a wet landing with the Zodiac.  One needs waterproof boots and waterproof pants. 

Boots are good enough only up to the top of the boots.  If one wears boots that come up to the top of the shins, yet water is higher, up to the knees, then the water will pour down into the boots, regardless of what pants one wears.  It won't matter what type of pants one wears; the water will still get the feet and legs wet.

Or are the boots and the pants someone affixed together, such as a waterproof tape or a waterproof zipper, to make a watertight seal?  Or is standing in water so brief, that only a small amount of water pours over the top of the boots?

Would hip waders, i.e., waterproof pants with boots, be preferable? 

Edited by pdmlynek
grammar

22 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

Please forgive this newbie query, but I'd rather look foolish now than be unprepared. I've seen this type of comment on this board several times, yet I am still puzzled.

Yes, I understand one needs appropriate gear for a wet landing with the Zodiac.  One needs waterproof boots and waterproof pants. 

Boots are good enough only up to the top of the boots.  If one wears boots that come up to the top of the shins, yet water is higher, up to the knees, then the water will pour down into the boots, regardless of what pants one wears.  It won't matter what type of pants one wears; the water will still get the feet and legs wet.

Or are the boots and the pants someone affixed together, such as a waterproof tape or a waterproof zipper, to make a watertight seal?  Or is standing in water so brief, that only a small amount of water pours over the top of the boots?

Would hip waders, i.e., waterproof pants with boots, be preferable? 

You might want to find a friend who has done one of these trips instead of bumping all these old threads back up to the top.  Or collect your questions into a new post and put that on the board to get answers from the entire community

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Nitemare said:

You might want to find a friend who has done one of these trips instead of bumping all these old threads back up to the top.  Or collect your questions into a new post and put that on the board to get answers from the entire community

Thanks.  I know exactly what you mean. 

On discussion forums, there is always a balance between resurecting old threads and starting new ones rehashing the same issue over and over again.  There are pluses and minuses for both.  

I may do as you suggest, and collect my questions into a new post at some future point.  I am just not there yet, because I am just starting out.  

On 3/6/2023 at 11:21 PM, pdmlynek said:

The pants go over the boots. They need to be waterproof, because they are the outermost layer. When you step out of a zodiac into calf- or knee-deep water, the water presses the pants against the boot forming a functional seal. No, you can’t wander about for ages, but it will keep you dry long enough to walk to shore.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

The pants go over the boots. They need to be waterproof, because they are the outermost layer. When you step out of a zodiac into calf- or knee-deep water, the water presses the pants against the boot forming a functional seal. No, you can’t wander about for ages, but it will keep you dry long enough to walk to shore.

Exactly.  Our photo album has FAR too many pictures of me standing knee deep in Antarctic water.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Exactly.  Our photo album has FAR too many pictures of me standing knee deep in Antarctic water.

Lol same. Plenty of thigh deep landings. I also slipped on seaweed on rocks and ended up fully submerged once. But bone dry thanks to goretex jacket and pants and my trusty wide calf half height muck boots !! 

On 3/12/2023 at 6:50 AM, PerfectlyPerth said:

Lol same. Plenty of thigh deep landings. I also slipped on seaweed on rocks and ended up fully submerged once. But bone dry thanks to goretex jacket and pants and my trusty wide calf half height muck boots !! 

been there, thanked my substantial gluteous maximus for no injury but to my dignity

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, southerngoose said:

@PerfectlyPerth  Dumb question - what happened to your camera if you were submerged?  Do you carry it in a waterproof bag?

Hiya

I had a Crumpler satchel bag on my trips. Everything inside in including camera was in individual ziplock bags. My iPhone was generally in a waterproof pouch around my neck ready to capture any action.
I was also in a couple of wild zodiac rides where the weather turned and we had waves coming over us. I still remained completely dry !!

• 3 months later...
13 hours ago, rosewood jo said:

Did u use the rented waterproof pants, poles, boots?  Did the red ha keys fit true to size? Going  in Dec 2023

Yes, yes, yes, and I don't understand the last question.

My poles wouldn't stay locked open so they offered to replace them but we only needed them one day so I asked for and got my rental fee back on them