Celebrity TranzAlpine Shore Excursion in Akaroa

jshli

I just read a very negative review of the 9 hr. Celebrity Solstice TranzAlpine Railway excursion on Cruise Critic. The reviewer said that they were on the bus for most of this time and were only on the train for 1 hour. The outside viewing area was also covered (apparently a recent change), so they were unable to take good pictures. Has anyone taken this excursion and can share their experience? This is an expensive excursion, so don’t want to waste money, but I am more concerned about wasting the day and overlooking a better experience. 

8 hours ago, jshli said:

I just read a very negative review of the 9 hr. Celebrity Solstice TranzAlpine Railway excursion on Cruise Critic. The reviewer said that they were on the bus for most of this time and were only on the train for 1 hour. The outside viewing area was also covered (apparently a recent change), so they were unable to take good pictures. Has anyone taken this excursion and can share their experience? This is an expensive excursion, so don’t want to waste money, but I am more concerned about wasting the day and overlooking a better experience. 

I haven’t done that shore excursion but I’ve driven that route that follows the train in a car .

I didn’t think it was that impressive.we were wondering what the hype was ?

I haven’t been to Christchurch since the earth quake but there’s better things to see.The botanical gardens are impressive.

The most spectacular part of of this train ride is where the railway line runs alongside the Waimakarere River. This section is not visible from the road. The full train trip takes around three hours one way which is why they only offer a section of it on cruise ship itineraries, then return by bus. 

Akaroa itself is a beautiful harbour with p lenty of tours available at the wharf including tours of around and on the harbour. The Giant's House is a fascinating place to visit and is a relatively easy walk from the tender wharf.

We did this tour in February of this year. I was not impressed with the tour. we had booked just the train trip, and once on the solstice the short screws in his desk called to see if we wanted to add the jet boat ride at no extra cost. We did and that was the highlight of the trip. The scenery was beautiful but after a period of time it all blend  in and looked similar. For the cost, if I had it to do over again I probably would not go.  There was beautiful scenery however there was no open car to take pictures. I was expecting there to be an open car and we could get much better pictures but ours were all taken through the windows. On our last visit for years ago, we went to Christchurch and I enjoyed going to Christchurch much better overall than the transalpine train ride. It would be a matter of choice, but that's my opinion after having done both.

Edited by debshomespun