Cruise Critic Community
Tothesunset

Wind 30 Apr-16 May, FLL-Tower Bridge

Posted (edited)

I'm hoping that our fellow sailors will contribute to this thread as the journey progresses. 

We arrived at our Heathrow hotel at 1pm today because our son had to get back home early after giving us a lift. No drama - at least we get to read all the Sunday papers. 

Uber to the Virgin Clubhouse tomorrow ready for the flight to Miami where we stay at the Holiday Inn Express Airport East (snappy title) overnight before getting an Uber to Port Everglades. 

There are 2 big highlights and several slightly smaller ones for us. Firstly, the sail-in up the Thames should be something special and, secondly, we stop in Waterford in my homeland. It's one part of Ireland I've never visited. 

The 2 days in NYC should be fun and we are hoping to go over to Newark for the simple, a not a little bit pathetic, reason that we have not been to New Jersey which will be the 43rd state we will have visited. 

However, Mrs TTS has a different view on this in that she is strangely excited at the prospect of suite 738.  

So... 16 days on our favourite SS ship. LABTYD. 

Screenshot_20190428_152923_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by Tothesunset

The Wind is still working well AFAICS. 

There red are a few cut backs I think I detected, but really nothing to suggest the identity is being swallowed.

738 will be in good hands. Despite every effort to leave it in a mess, we arrive back and it’s impecible. 

There are are certainly lots staying on your voyage from the current one. It would seem many were contacted and offered at a price they couldn’t refuse to take the full 27 days. We weren’t... but then you had our suite! lol

Seas and weather permitting, you will have a spendid cruise on the Wind. (As usual) Say hi to Albert for us.

Have a fab time.

B

1 hour ago, Tothesunset said:

...we are hoping to go over to Newark for the simple, a not a little bit pathetic, reason that we have not been to New Jersey which will be the 43rd state we will have visited. 

How did you pick Newark?  Personally, I’d highly recommend ditching Newark and heading to Hoboken instead.  You get credit for your 43rd state and as a reward can visit Carlo’s Bakery where Buddy Valastro, “The Cake Boss”, has all sorts of treats on offer.  His cannolis are out of this world.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for that. Scratch Newark, add Hoboken. Carlo's sounds too good to miss. We could combine that with Jersey City historic district and Grove Street? 

Edited by Tothesunset

Yes! Hoboken and Jersey City. Newark is mostly dreadful. If you are driving you might consider going a bit farther a field to the charming towns of Summit, Chatham and Madison. New Jersey gets a bad wrap..mostly because of Newark’s slums. The little towns are leafy, pretty and walkable.

I’ll  look for you on board!

22 minutes ago, CruisinPashmina said:

Yes! Hoboken and Jersey City. Newark is mostly dreadful. If you are driving you might consider going a bit farther a field to the charming towns of Summit, Chatham and Madison. New Jersey gets a bad wrap..mostly because of Newark’s slums. The little towns are leafy, pretty and walkable.

I’ll  look for you on board!

I hope we meet at the Meet and Mingle. 

1 hour ago, CruisinPashmina said:

Newark is mostly dreadful. If you are driving you might consider going a bit farther a field to the charming towns of Summit, Chatham and Madison.

3 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

Thanks for that. Scratch Newark, add Hoboken. Carlo's sounds too good to miss. We could combine that with Jersey City historic district and Grove Street? 

Absolutely!  Jersey City is a great choice.  While the city used to be considered a sort of wasteland, its famous Grove Street area changed that perception completely back in 2015.  It is only a seven-minute train ride from Manhattan.  If you like bookstores, there is a gem called “Word” near the intersection of Grove and Newark Ave.  Jersey City turned this area of Newark Ave. into a pedestrian-only thoroughfare a few years ago and is also worth a stroll.

Lastly, I agree with CruisinPashmina.  If you have a car, Chatham, and Madison are charming buroughs.

Posted (edited)

These are very helpful recommendations. Isn't this forum a wonderful resource? 

We won't have a car but have no fear of local transport or Shanks' pony. 

Edited by Tothesunset

One time in NYC we decided to have a day out and took the train to Greenwich, CT only because it sounded very unlikely to be anything like the Greenwich in London. 

Well, it's an almost perfect little town. We loved our day strolling around and chatting with store staff, waiters etc. Nice to get off the tourist trail. 

Isn't Uber wonderful? From the hotel to the lounge in 20 minutes.  Very busy in the Virgin Upper lounge today although tempered by sitting beside a very attractive UK TV actress at breakfast.  Not as attractive as my travelling companion, you understand. 

The flight is showing as on time and the Buck's Fizz is having its soothing effect. All's well with the world. 

IMG_20190429_073142.jpg

Have a great trip over the pond, TTSes.  Really enjoyed our time in the Upper Class Wing at Heathrow last year. We used their transfer service which cost a little more than an Uber but it sure was nice.

TTS, I hope you and your fellow travellers can be relied upon to look after the Wind? Some of us will be taking the no 48 bus to board her at the end of May and I don't want to see scuff marks on the tables in the Panorama Lounge where you have been dancing on them, especially after your Waterford visit.

Say hello to Belfast for me and may I recommend The Tobermory Fish Company for edible souvenirs on your stop in Mull, if you don't know it already- fab-u-lous smoked fish, especially the smoked scallops, and look out for Island Bakery biscuits.

Have a wonderful time.

Rp

Expect a dinner invite from Cara.... she’s looking forward to meeting you.

She has the details of the agent I mentioned and I now can confirm we got the extra 10% I was hoping for...... and I did mention to them they can expect a call from you. Obviously you won’t have the mad rush like I did with the EBB ending tomorrow.... and likely being the same for the following month or so.

Make sure you say hi to Keith and Susan, Jill and Robert and Frank and Chris who are on for the 27 days.

Shame you missed the bunnies and the photo shoot. Oh my days the less said the better! 😂

Well that was impressive: from wheels down to hotel room in 48 minutes. Miami used to have terrible immigration queues but we just sailed through today and straight into the cab. Good stuff. 

The holiday Inn is OK. It's a new one, very clean and convenient and with my IHG status we get free use of the food and drink dispensers. Big wow! 

Looks like Mr Uber will be called upon tomorrow to get us to the Wind (assuming Les hasn't scuttled her in a fit of pique); planning on getting to ship at noonish. 

We are looking forward to meeting Cara. And, of course, friends old and new. 

4 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

Miami used to have terrible immigration queues but we just sailed through today and straight into the cab.

Take it from someone who flies internationally through MIA on a regular basis... you were lucky on your arrival time.  Miami STILL has horrible immigration cues, but primarily during the early morning hours when all of the flights from Latin America arrive.  Absolutely brutal, I tell you.

Posted (edited)

Now at Port Everglades but actually at the Princess Cruises terminal where the Lady Wind has been docked because the US Navy is at SS's normal Dock. Our non-English-speaking Uber driver was mightily confused but we got him here without getting lost. 

Now 11.45 but we are told it will be another 30 mins before boarding. Never had to wait before on SS. 

Thats a whole half an hour of eating and drinking time we're missing. Shocking. 

Edited by Tothesunset

Noonish will be the earliest you will get on I expect. We arrived at 11 and had to sit and wait for an hour.

Berther in a different location to last week... they’ve used the Princess. Terminal. I’d say it’s just 200 metres from our hotel and we are waiting for a marina view on the top floor. If you go to the Terrazza or above and wave, we can snap some photos.... will definitely be watching hopefully in good spirits after today’s football. I’m not overly hopeful.

tips..... in the shower, make sure the handle is straight down or it’ll drip and drive you mad! Be warned.... the loo seat is too big... and moves... I’m sure you will get what I mean...

Sad to have disembarked... but ho hum... only 459 days before boarding again!

6 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Now at Port Everglades but actually at the Princess Cruises terminal where the Lady Wind has been docked because the US Navy is at SS's normal Dock. Our non-English-speaking Uber driver was mightily confused but we got him here without getting lost. 

Now 11.45 but we are told it will be another 30 mins before boarding. Never had to wait before on SS. 

Haha... that’s exactly how we felt!  This morning on arrival there was a huge two hull passenger vessel that departed about 8.30

Mind you.... I think I need to go 2 weeks without food. I definitely put on at least half a stone, possibly more. Heaven help those on for both legs!

Hoboken & Jersey City are very good calls while in NYC.  Newark not so much!   The very best views of NYC are from NJ.    These areas are accessible via Path trains out of 33 St Station and my favorite, NY Waterways Ferries which include bus transport to & from the piers.....stopping at various places on their loop around Manhattan.   LIberty State park is another wonderful area with acess to Lady Liberty & Ellis Island.   Also on site, is the restored train station that hosted millions of immigrants on their first stop as they travelled beyond NYC.....again, the views are magnifcent.  

Posted (edited)

You’re not on the balcony of Terrazza yet!

That should give you a good line to locate and wave back! We are on the top floor.

2BB59FD3-AAD3-44C4-B97D-2D8B3F3A24F3.jpeg

Edited by les37b

1 hour ago, Tothesunset said:

😆😆😆 Love it!

13 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Cute little thing, isn’t she?

I’m not sure Mrs TTS is there yet!

Ive just checked again. I can only see one lady in Tarrazza wearing a pink top.

Will video the sail away and take some pics...... .... get on the rear on deck nine in a colourful outfit...... and wave!

I’m on the top floor of the Hilton on the balcony in a white t-shirt.... waving when not clicking!

1 hour ago, les37b said:

You’re not on the balcony of Terrazza yet!

That should give you a good line to locate and wave back! We are on the top floor.

2BB59FD3-AAD3-44C4-B97D-2D8B3F3A24F3.jpeg

Sorry, Les. We missed this post while having lunch in the dining room. 

Isn't 738 lovely, by the way. Although between leaving our cases at the dockside and getting them in the suite the extendable handle of one has been bent and us now stuck in a semi extended position. Grrrr.