Wind 30 Apr-16 May, FLL-Tower Bridge

Tothesunset

It has been a dreary spring, let alone today. I've been waiting for nice weather for the last two months. Yucky. We had to cut our outdoor run short a few minutes ago when the first drops started falling. It feels like late March here, not May.

Nice pic, TTS. 

Stumbles, it is true, but thanks.

• Like 2

On 5/2/2019 at 9:20 AM, Tothesunset said:

Fair winds for the flight home. Using up the daily 10 mins OH allows me on her phone each day. 

Alas .... Stormy winds... Flights cancelled and BA were as helpful as a chocolate teapot. Still here.... And not managed to get another flight until Saturday evening..... If that goes. Weather seems to have rain and storms forecast for several days.

Nothing we can do about it except collect receipts and carry on holidaying..... And give BA the bill at the end.

Luckily I've learned we can claim back £25 per day on food. We didn't fancy Maccy Ds so she just used hers on a bottle of red.

No point in worrying about it.... I'm surprised you've not mentioned the weather as from what I gathered, the issues are further north and NY was mentioned.

Oh dear, Les. That really isn't good at all. I share you're reservations re BA and it seems they set low standards that they consistently fail to achieve. 

It's about 15 degrees and overcast in NY but dry and not windy. 

Sincerely hope you get sorted out to your satisfaction. 

BTW, the travel agent you recommended hav come back to me offering what amounts to about a further 7% off the Moon crossing in a veranda giving a price of £2750. Now it's entirely up to Mrs TTS to make the final decision. £183 a day sounds pretty good to me. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Oh dear, Les. That really isn't good at all. I share you're reservations re BA and it seems they set low standards that they consistently fail to achieve. 

It's about 15 degrees and overcast in NY but dry and not windy. 

Sincerely hope you get sorted out to your satisfaction. 

BTW, the travel agent you recommended hav come back to me offering what amounts to about a further 7% off the Moon crossing in a veranda giving a price of £2750. Now it's entirely up to Mrs TTS to make the final decision. £183 a day sounds pretty good to me. 

I'm so disgusted at BA. Not the stranded bit... Or even cancellation, though it wasnt just the weather..... Legal hours came into play. If the flight had taken off from London on time instead of playing catch-up on previous delays.... Or adjusting rosters so it didn't impact the final nail of the cancellation.

I can take care of myself.... But there were long time business class flyings on this flight vowing they'd never use again.

The FLL staff made repeated promises which they broke continuously. All they wanted was 300 people off the airport. The promise on the coach we'd be kept up to date and messages at the hotel. I knew we'd hear nothing and I was right.

Anyway.... There's more to it, but that's for BA to receive.

I'm a bit surprised the TA only gave you 7% (even though it's not bad).... As they did give us the full 10% that I'd suggested to them.

Have you met Susan and Keith? (Our referers) I suspect the dynamics have changed now everyone isn't sunning themselfs by the pool. 

I think ous ended at £2250 (£150pd)... And should end with a veranda. We got very luck.... Unlike the end of this one. 

Carry on having fun.... Hope the weather stays clear.... But hope you don't get hope before us!!

Entertainment tonight.... Back 2 back game of thrones S8....  Was saving it... But we deserve a treat... And having eaten and feeling like a rest.... It's what the doctor ordered.

Edited by les37b
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, les37b said:

Alas .... Stormy winds... Flights cancelled and BA were as helpful as a chocolate teapot. Still here.... And not managed to get another flight until Saturday evening..... If that goes. Weather seems to have rain and storms forecast for several days.

Nothing we can do about it except collect receipts and carry on holidaying..... And give BA the bill at the end.

Luckily I've learned we can claim back £25 per day on food. We didn't fancy Maccy Ds so she just used hers on a bottle of red.

No point in worrying about it.... I'm surprised you've not mentioned the weather as from what I gathered, the issues are further north and NY was mentioned.

Really sorry to hear this. Hope you manage to get home ok tonight.

Another day in NYC before sailing at 1900 this evening. Next stop is Halifax, Nova Scotia which I am not expecting to resemble its namesake in West Yorkshire. 

Cancelled our Grill reservation last night in favour of the warmth of the MDR where I had an expansively spiced and very agreeable chicken curry. Yummy. 

Doing the High Line walk today - it's a project I've followed with interest so very much looking forward to seeing how it has turned out. 

• Like 3

Enjoy the High Line! We have done that walk a few times - most recently in February, with our friend who was visiting from Australia. It's a great addition to the cityscape.

If you make it down as far as the 20s, stop off around 24th or 25th and make your way east to Broadway. Stop in at Eataly and grab a glass of wine, and wander around the store. It's a pleasant diversion, though it will be crowded on a Saturday.

Weather in Albany is a little warmer than yesterday so hope your visit goes well!

31 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Les, I do hope you get this sorted out with no further delays. It would be quite a debacle if TTS were to get home before you!

3 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Really sorry to hear this. Hope you manage to get home ok tonight.

Cheers guys.. well the outbound left London 23mins late, but our departure estimate has increased at one point to  40 and now down to 29.

Im hoping it arrives in London later than scheduled so we complete another full 24 hours for the insurance payout..... and then BA to deal with. :-)

They have blamed the weather and whilst it’s part of it, the real reason was the crew hours. It stopped in MCO to refuel but couldn’t complete the final hop because the crew legally couldn’t do so. That’s an aside and for once we’re back. There is still zero excuse for how they handled the situation both inside the airport and beyond. Ryan air would have done better.

And indeed we did. Landed home a mere 49 hours late!

TTS.... speak to Cara again. Vistas are once again bookable on the Moon TA. Good luck. And unless you specifically want a Vista, ask if she can sell as a GTY.

Hows the weather held out for you?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good news on your (eventual) return. 

We are having some second thoughts on that TA as it may conflict with family events in the early part of 2021. I suppose that's the difficulty with booking so far out. 

Very wet and cold but it's a sea day so no problem! 

Apparently the ship is quite full but doesn't feel it. Halifax tomorrow. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Very good dinner in MDR. One of the free pour wines has proven to be rather excellent and we have therefore asked for it each night. 

Never had that bottling before, but see it retails for around $15.  Would love to try it someday.  How are the tannins in such a young Petite Sirah?  And, does it have a little spiciness, or peppery, taste?

Edited by Stumblefoot

Couple of things:

A number of us were signed up to a Meet and Mingle for those joining the ship in NYC 2 days ago. Either it hasn't happened yet or we weren't invited. 

There are air con and heating issues throughout the ship. We have spoken to many people whose cabin temperature fluctuates hugely. Just now in 738 it is very cold. The thermostat is set at 18 but the click point is around 13 so clearly no heat, or not enough heat, is entering the cabin. The heating/air con fans in the ceiling cut out about 2 hours ago. One poor woman had no heat at all for the first 5 days.