Wind 30 Apr-16 May, FLL-Tower Bridge

Tothesunset

Thanks for your on board reporting Tothesunset.  Sorry to hear about the meet & mingle invite issues and air/heating challenges.  Recommend, you speak with the Hotel Director (if u have not already) about the heating and air temp fluctuations.  And, u might want to check with reception on status of the m&m (when/where).  Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by WesW
  • Thanks 1

Dear TTS

So enjoying your reporting on your voyage so far, and look forward to following along until Tower Bridge, assuming you are not all too frozen!. 

Les so sorry to hear of your aborted flight with good old BA!!  Hope the flight was worth waiting for?!!  Hope the jet lag is not too severe.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CruisingPashmina here...freezing in #602. 

Really easy boarding for about 30 Passengers joining the Wind in gloomy NYC. I just walked on, gave my big suitcase to security at the gangway, and there was Colin heading towards me for a big hug! This “Welcome Home” greeting seems so real and natural.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Master Echo said:

Les so sorry to hear of your aborted flight with good old BA!!  Hope the flight was worth waiting for?!!  Hope the jet lag is not too severe.

Thanks ME. We arrived back at Gatwick 49 hours later than scheduled. The flight was uneventful apart from a panic with the late arrival again and rumours there were no crew available to take us back.

I did have a cool four days rest to recuperate - but alas arriving home so tired after the all night phone ins to secure getting home, I arrived more tired than I should have been and had to cancel a group dinner for the Sunday evening as I was simply falling asleep.

Unfortunately - not a good move to give in to and I ended up waking at about 11pm wide awake and ended up staying up to watch the next Game of Thrones at 2am. I already know that will be regretted. I am not looking forward to going back to work tomorrow.

Hows the Triv going TTS and Cruising Pashmina? 

Welcome to our humble little ship, CP. 

Just docked in Halifax where we will eschew the ship's tours and have a potter around independently. A grey day but dry and 12 degrees; pleasant for strolling. 

Really appreciating 738 - I'm surprised they sell it as a Vista. I'd stick it on as a panorama and up the price 10% but don't tell SS I said that. 

• Like 1

One team needed one more player so I was able to join. So far, since NYC we have won once and have a second and a third. Yesterday’s quiz was really hard. I skipped today because some one offered to buy me a drink during the Sail Into Halifax. Just met a team member in the hall and he said they did very well with only four players.

The sun has come out gloriously and I went out with old SS friends for a great big lobster lunch and a lovely walk back to the ship via the harborside boardwalk. 

For other Wind dévotees: I learned that there were loud groans at the last segment’s Venetian evening when it was announced that this sweet little ship was definitely going to be outfitted for Expedition sailings. It’s a done deal and, I think a terrible loss.

Drinks and dinner with Dusababy and her beau tonight. The food, so far, has been very, very good and the wines have been excellent.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CruisinPashmina said:

For other Wind dévotees: I learned that there were loud groans at the last segment’s Venetian evening when it was announced that this sweet little ship was definitely going to be outfitted for Expedition sailings. It’s a done deal and, I think a terrible loss.

I'll second that emotion. 

• Like 2

I tell you what, Halifax is a rather splendid little town. We had a good 6 mile stroll taking in the harbour front, citadel and town centre and thoroughly enjoyed the calm nature of the place. 

I daren't disconnect my phone from the ship's WiFi in case I get those connection problems so blame Mrs TTS for the following:

download_20190506_170631.thumb.jpg.f58b7d9650385e29ab9ede8c6536faf4.jpgdownload_20190506_165932.thumb.jpg.4f2fd154b90070b78a942ee95cbf5eb1.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

Really appreciating 738 - I'm surprised they sell it as a Vista. I'd stick it on as a panorama and up the price 10% but don't tell SS I said that. 

Sshhhh

Had they cleaned the windows of the grime and fly specs?

I did notice them cleaning windows outside the pool deck in FLL before we departed...... but definitely forgot one floor below!

Hope the seas stay calm for you as you set off on the TA

No, Les, I don't think the windows have been cleaned. Never mind, just had a lovely dinner of lobster, scallops, venison, peach melba. Mmmmm. Sea day tomorrow so another busy day of doing nothing at all. 

Venetian society reception tomorrow but with a pathetic 189 days I think we will be sitting at the back on the naughty step. 

Booked an Indian meal for ourselves and some pals the night after next and our Indian waiter has promised an unforgettable feast. I mean, who can forget cholera? 

• Like 1

TTS....Thanks for activating our tastebuds with your lobster etc dinner for when we join our favourite Wind on the 16th.Sorry to learn of confirmation the Wind is to join the Expedition fleet.We shall make sure we enjoy our farewell two months on the Old Lady this summer.Enjoying you taking us with you hope the T/A crossing is smooth for you all on board.

• Like 1

Venetian Society tonight. Top cruiser has over 2000 days! Very good seafood menu tonight, good wine and excellent company. Nearly broke our habit by going to the show but didn't manage it. I understand from others that the quality of the shows has been mixed. 

Still some ship-wide issues with heating and air con. Most common areas were very cold this morning. While our suite is currently around 19 degrees, it was 13 this morning. Now that's chilly. Seems to warm up through the day, cool down at night. Many folk are complaining, I believe. 

Seas still calm. Most of the passengers are too. 

This really is such a sweet little ship - shame it's leaving the classic fleet. Apparently it will potter around the Southern polar region for half the year and spend the other half as a classic ship in the med. They'll need to sort the heating/cooling out for those two opposing climates. 

• Like 3

The Wind is a charming old gal. 

Sorry to learn she too is undergoing a conversion.

Is this sign still on the ship? I had to take a photo of it because it was so out of character for Silversea. It reminded me of  camp or a military barracks.

windrr.JPG.391202d0a5a44eaab40cc2c755a2480c.JPG

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dusababy said:

If it is I haven’t come across it.  Where did you spot it?  

Wish you were here...

Thanks Dusa...wish I was there too!

i am sending you a photo of where the sign was...perhaps it was changed? Twould be a shame, it was so "campy" in every sense of the word. 

rr2.thumb.JPG.d983b2422579ea65634334091ee1fd97.JPG

• Like 1

St John's, Newfoundland today. I've got to tell you that it is a really atmospheric area, at least in today's varying mist. We did the SS tour today which took us to Signal Hill from which we 'trekked' the 4 miles back to the ship. Great views. (No photos as the upload speed on the WiFi is glacial.) 

Special dinner in the MDR of an Indian meal. Really good. I mean really good and sets us up well for the 4 sea days before reaching Waterford in Eire. 

It looks like the heating issue in the suite has been solved - sitting at a steady 19 degrees now - but there seems to be quite a variation in temperatures through the public rooms. It's not really a big deal but means you might need a sweater in one room which you then take off in another. Such problems, we have. 

Captain has warned that we should expect the seas to deteriorate and for us to pass through a particularly rough patch and gales on the 11th. Currently a 2 metre swell with some pitching but no rolling. There is quite a sea fog out there so every minute or so the ship sounds its foghorn. We have earplugs; those without may be disturbed by the horn (yes, very good, settle down children). 

Glad you’re having such a great time TTS. I Can’t resist the invitation so must just say I can’t remember when I was last woken up by a Horn! Nuff said. Waterford is very high on my list! Unforgivable considering i’m only  45 mins from Holyhead. Hope the sea plays fair. 

• Thanks 1

On one occasion, we were joined at dinner by a guest entertainer, a trumpeter (GE). I mentioned that my OH had played the trumpet in his dim and distant youth. The GE turned to OH and asked him ,in all seriousness, " Do you still have the horn?" Gentle readers, I am afraid I disgraced myself....

Rp

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Is that the hidden bathroom on the pool deck, tucked away in the dead-end corridor behind the grill? I'd forgotten about that!

Yes JP it was the sign directing to the "hidden" WC

• Haha 1