Wind 30 Apr-16 May, FLL-Tower Bridge

Tothesunset

7 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

Warnings now of 6 metre seas tonight rising to 11 metres tomorrow. Everything is tied down and passengers advised to take great care moving around the ship. 

On a brighter note, just laid down the deposit for the Moon 2021 TA FLL-Barcelona. 

On our 2nd night we had 2 foot waves that had several guests falling ill. 6 metres sounds like fun, though I'd hate to think how they'd cope with that!

See you on board neighbour.

• Like 1

Pfft.6-11 metre waves are nothing.We went through 15 metre seas with occasional waves topping 18 metres coming back from the west Antarctic in a ship the size of the Explorer.We were strapped into our bed though.

I hope everyone will do their best to clean up though.Must be spic and span when we board on the 16th.😁😉

Now I'm wondering if it's all a bluff. There's a little movement of the vessel but nothing extraordinary. Certainly it affected not our delicious meal in Terrazza where the sommelier, Norman, sought OH's opinion on a couple of wines that are new to Silversea - Mrs TTS very chuffed to be asked; he knows better than to ask me - I know my dessert wines but not the normal stuff. 

Not a bluff. Woke up to that feeling you get when trapped in a washing machine. Lots of erratic movement but no big swell yet. So while moving around will be awkward, for now at least, it's not quite the fairground roller-coaster we thought we might wake up to. 

I could post a picture of the sea state but its quicker if you just get a square of grey material and stare at it. There is no definition between sea and sky ( it's very atmospheric). 

Another lazy day eating, drinking and falling-asleep-in-the-afternoon-while-pretending-to-watch-a-movie.

Just like on the Titanic. 

Edited by Tothesunset
  • Like 1

Good Morning Brimary - Agree wholeheartedly with your comments on a New Smaller Ship but I doubt it will happen. Slightly off Topic I know ( and apologise ) but we are wishing you well for your forthcoming Wind Adventure. Get everything in to shape before we board on 9th !!!! - Looking forward to our Morning Swim !!!

7 hours ago, Mayflower1 said:

Good Morning Brimary - Agree wholeheartedly with your comments on a New Smaller Ship but I doubt it will happen. Slightly off Topic I know ( and apologise ) but we are wishing you well for your forthcoming Wind Adventure. Get everything in to shape before we board on 9th !!!! - Looking forward to our Morning Swim !!!

All ready for departure on Thursday.Not sure to get everything in to shape for you joining us as there seems to be a lot to do according to the ODD post on Cruise Critic.I am following Tothe sunset  posts re the current voyage which are most encouraging re our favourite WIND.See you in the pool 7.30 am!!

9 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

Another lazy day eating, drinking and falling-asleep-in-the-afternoon-while-pretending-to-watch-a-movie.

One of my favorite activities.

16 minutes ago, brimary said:

See you in the pool 7.30 am!!

Brrr...

The seas are really rough. I will never sail in anything but a low midship cabin again. I’m in 602 as far forward as you can get and it has been awful. Getting worse all day. The waves keep coming up and crashing over the windows...the banging noises and the ships contant pitching and shutters are really quite scary. I’m definitely not a happy sailor.

More tomorrow if I haven’t gone totally loony.😱

• Like 1

Agree with CP. It's really quite lively throughout the vessel but most particularly at the pointy end. Spray from the ship crashing down off the waves is hitting the windows of the obs lounge. 

Many pale passengers and not a few quiet crew members, too. OH and I consider ourselves fortunate to have escaped the mal de mer, others haven't been so lucky. 

Nevertheless the ship has plodded on, meals served as advertised and only a very few signs of maritime stress manifesting as the closure of the elevators, no glassware on dining tables, entertainment rescheduled. In these conditions walking up or down the staircases could be classed as an extreme sport. 

• Like 1

Reminds me of the night we left Madeira the same night that Hurricane Katrina did. All outside doors locked and no waiting for anything  in the empty dining room.

A Good tip for getting a full glass of Bacardi back to your cabin is to walk forward while the floor is coming to meet you then pause while the floor falls away. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, CruisinPashmina said:

The seas are really rough. I will never sail in anything but a low midship cabin again. I’m in 602 as far forward as you can get and it has been awful. Getting worse all day. The waves keep coming up and crashing over the windows...the banging noises and the ships contant pitching and shutters are really quite scary. I’m definitely not a happy sailor.

More tomorrow if I haven’t gone totally loony.😱

Really sorry to hear that you are having such a tough time. Hope it has improved overnight.

6 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

Agree with CP. It's really quite lively throughout the vessel but most particularly at the pointy end. Spray from the ship crashing down off the waves is hitting the windows of the obs lounge.

That sounds pretty scary. Has the Captain altered course to try and lessen the rollercoaster or do you have to just plod through it?

6 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

Many pale passengers and not a few quiet crew members, too. OH and I consider ourselves fortunate to have escaped the mal de mer, others haven't been so lucky. 

Nevertheless the ship has plodded on, meals served as advertised and only a very few signs of maritime stress manifesting as the closure of the elevators, no glassware on dining tables, entertainment rescheduled. In these conditions walking up or down the staircases could be classed as an extreme sport. 

Does this mean your windows have finally been cleaned and now clear?

Out of curiosity, does Triv still go ahead or a case of bad weather stops play? Moon TA still booked?

Hope things improve for everyone soon.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

That sounds pretty scary. Has the Captain altered course to try and lessen the rollercoaster or do you have to just plod through it?

He took a Southerly turn and speeded up a little to lessen the effects. 

But it's the North Atlantic with few hiding places for a baby boat like the Wind. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, les37b said:

Does this mean your windows have finally been cleaned and now clear?

Out of curiosity, does Triv still go ahead or a case of bad weather stops play? Moon TA still booked?

Hope things improve for everyone soon.

Nah. The windows are now constantly covered with spray from the huge waves. 

Dont know if the Triv continues or not, we never did make it despite my promise near the start of the thread. 

Yes. Moon booked, deposit paid. 

Susan and Keith say hello. He has your email address but has been having issues sending stuff on this lightning slow WiFi. 

So sorry to hear of the conditions crossing the Atlantic - its a gamble at any time of the year - lets hope it improves rapidly as constant buffeting is very tiring.

Thanks for the good wishes Brimary - as you know (!!! ) 7.30am is a little rich for me - will probably meet up just as you are finishing your exercise, as usual ( say 8.30am ). Have a great time.

You should be having a bit of better weather now, it is beautiful in London today and set to last for a while, I gather. I hope CP is beginning to recover, I hate being forward and up high, a nice midships room on the same deck as the bar is my choice, so easy to get home in the evening.

TTS, what wines was Mrs TTS tasting in La Terraza? We have guests coming to dine on board at the end of the month and it would be good to get an idea of what is good on the included wines list, if you or anyone else has recommendations and assuming that the next crowd don't drink the ship dry in the meantime.

Rp

6 minutes ago, rosepark said:

...a nice midships room on the same deck as the bar is my choice, so easy to get home in the evening.

I love your strategy Rp!  We do something similar on the ships with an Arts Cafe so that when we roll out of bed we can just shuffle down the hall for a light breakfast and coffee without really being awake.

Oh Stumblefoot, I love the Arts Café and will really miss that on our upcoming Wind hol. But it is quite far away from the bar level, so I definitely can't manage that for breakfast - as it is OH has to wield the cattle-prod to make me go upstairs to the Terrace in the morning.

Rp

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

RP, for a nice red we can recommend the Greystone.  For a tasty white the Pipoli is hard to beat but they also have a nice German Riesling on board. 

Man thanks TTS. I hope there is some left by the time we board. Enjoy fair weather today. 

Rp