Just did our second cruise, and now now exactly...

JDBRANDT17042

...what we would do (not do) on our third cruise.  {Our first cruise was an Alaska/Holland, second was Carribbean/NCL)

Cruising is a highly personal experience, and the choice of possible ships and trips makes almost any generic advice highly 

well, generic.  So, we (2x aged 62+) thought we'd share what we would and would not repeat, next time.

////

We WOULD get a drink package.

We WOULD choose our high-end dining locations with a focus on quality and user ratings.

We would still choose a 5-7 day cruise on a ship sized like the Oosterdam or Star.

We would consider a slightly-larger balcony with similar views.

We would NOT pre-pay the 'service charges', mostly because of NCL's quick-draw change to add them.

We would NOT buy an internet access package.

We would still choose a ship without all the 'kid friendly' stuff (go karts, etc.)

We would avoid cruise ship sub-contracted 'transfer' services, and just freelance it with the taxis.  Too much lines and confusion.

21 minutes ago, Sauer-kraut said:

I'm not sure what you mean with "NCL's quick-draw change to add them.  

NCL instituted a mandatory (as of 1 April 2019) additional $15/pp/pd Service Charge to their invoicing, whereas, prior, it was optional.   This was a change that was instituted after we pre-paid the whole cruise, and, luckily , did not apply to us.  I just thought it was a little quirky to institute this based on date of announcement, versus date of cruise.

1 hour ago, JDBRANDT17042 said:

...what we would do (not do) on our third cruise.  {Our first cruise was an Alaska/Holland, second was Carribbean/NCL)

Cruising is a highly personal experience, and the choice of possible ships and trips makes almost any generic advice highly 

well, generic.  So, we (2x aged 62+) thought we'd share what we would and would not repeat, next time.

////

We WOULD get a drink package.

We WOULD choose our high-end dining locations with a focus on quality and user ratings.

We would still choose a 5-7 day cruise on a ship sized like the Oosterdam or Star.

We would consider a slightly-larger balcony with similar views.

We would NOT pre-pay the 'service charges', mostly because of NCL's quick-draw change to add them.

We would NOT buy an internet access package.

We would still choose a ship without all the 'kid friendly' stuff (go karts, etc.)

We would avoid cruise ship sub-contracted 'transfer' services, and just freelance it with the taxis.  Too much lines and confusion.

Based on your criteria, suggest checking out some of the Premium Lines, for example Viking Ocean, Oceania, etc. Viking has zero kids, being 18+ and Oceania received many plaudits as being the best dining.

Drink package value depends completely on one’s drinking. We have perhaps a couple of mixed drinks per cruise - and prefer bottles of better wine with dinner.

”High end” dining is essential for decent food/service on NCL; not so much on HAL - except for a special occasion or two.

I could never understand point of pre-paying service charges.  Even with low time value of money, paying in advance seems pointless.  On NCL, I understand you can only request adjustment in writing, after debarking - obviously just to make it difficult.

2,000 or so passengers is greatest number we prefer - and if we want amusement park rides we’ll go to an amusement park.

Self- arranged port activities are almost always less expensive, more enjoyable and more time efficient.

Perhaps after trying other lines’ smaller ships: Celebrity, Princess, and QM2, you might want to consider longer itineraries since anything under 7 days is very limiting, and 10 or more days opens up vast possibilities.

You seem not care about the cost just the results. I may be mistaken on that. Two exceptional Cruise lines that offer great perks are Celebrity # 1 (Not the EDGE) and Princess # 2 Stay off of Carnival and Royal Caribbean if you don't want any water fun other than a pool and hot tubs or children running around. An average size ship like the Celebrity Equinox is an excellent ship with all the enjoyment for the cruiser without children. relaxing and if you want a lot of fun. The Equinox has been rated the number one cruise ship for 2019 and the past several years by Cruisecritic reviews. Only a suggestion. Use a reputable travel agent. I use one that is with a big company to offer all the advantages of one but, she does it to keep busy and keeps her client list at a minimum so she can keep on top of all her clients needs and cruise booking. She has saved me a ton of money over the years. We usually book between 4-8 a year. Now if cost is no object. You can easily do the all inclusive cruises with several lines. I cannot offer any information on those. A bit out of our price range. Whatever you choose. Choose to fit you likes. I am sure you will enjoy.