Is the new Atlantic Bridge open yet?

Turtles06

I'm usually pretty good at being able to find information on the internet, but I haven't been able to find anything saying that the new Atlantic Bridge is open yet, which suggests to me that it's not, but I wanted to ask the experts.   (The most I could find is that it was/is expected to open in 2019.)  And if it's not open yet, any idea of when it might be?   And the status of the construction? 

Thanks for any info!

It still is pretty much a bridge to nowhere!  While the structure is complete much work remains for the approach roads and such on both sides of the Canal.  Was on a transit last month and the bridge still was not ready for traffic, everything was still going across at the locks and the ferry.  Sometime in 2019 was the guesstimate.

As a practical matter even when the bridge is actually opened for traffic there won't be a lot to see.  Right now the only things of any significance are a small marina called Shelter Bay which is what is left of the former US Army base of Ft. Sherman.  The other area would be the ruins of Ft. San Lorenzo which sits at the mouth of the Chagres River.  Ft. San Lorenzo has been declared a World Heritage Site but it has drifted between periods of preservation and neglect for sometime.  Perhaps making it more accessible there will be more preservation.  Beyond those two places there is little on the Caribbean coast between Colon and Bocas del Toro which sits on the border with Costa Rica.  The Atlantic Bridge will be instrumental in opening up that part of Panama.

• Thanks 1