Buying train tickets online

Hello all!!

Please forgive me if this subject has been discussed but I was unable to find anything!

My question is: We are planning to take the train from Hamburg to Amsterdam after our 

August 2019 cruise.

1. Which online sites have you used for purchasing ticket in advance?

2. Have you had any problems with the tickets purchased online when you get to the train station?

Also, is an 18 minute transfer time in Osnabrück, Germany 

enough?

Thanks in Advance!!

2 hours ago, lmtrn2001 said:

Hello all!!

Please forgive me if this subject has been discussed but I was unable to find anything!

My question is: We are planning to take the train from Hamburg to Amsterdam after our 

August 2019 cruise.

2. Have you had any problems with the tickets purchased online when you get to the train station?

enough?

Thanks in Advance!!

I have used loco2.com for train tickets in Spain. I printed off the ticket, boarded the train, and presented it when they came around. Everything was great; they had an explanation for all the parts of the ticket (which was completely in Spanish), and they explained that one section of track was under repair, so I knew what to do when they made us get off the train and transfer to a bus. You can select the currency you want to be charged in (Euros, GBP or US$; for this route I would select Euros although I think that their conversion rates are pretty good).

I looked at some pictures of Osnabrück station; it doesn't look very big. There seem to be 2 platforms with trains on either side of each. At best, you will already be on the correct platform. At worst, you have to go down a flight of stairs, go under the tracks, and come up on the other platform. You shouldn't have problem making it, but only you know how you deal with your own luggage and stairs.

Deutsch Bahn website: www.bahn.com
You can create an account and book tix online.
They have an app: DB Navigator
You can also book tix in the app, and it will hold your reservations. You just pull up your ticket on the app for the conductor to scan the barcode when they come by.
Booked several tickets in advance of our trip to Germany and the Netherlands in 2017. The app worked great.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

On 4/28/2019 at 11:08 AM, lmtrn2001 said:

August 2019 cruise.

enough?

We have used the trains in Germany many times. Book your ticket directly through the Deutsche Bahn site for the best prices.

https://www.bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml

We have never had an issue with tickets purchased online.

18 minutes is adequate transfer time - small station, not many platforms.

Edited by dogs4fun

On 5/2/2019 at 6:51 PM, dogs4fun said:

We have used the trains in Germany many times. Book your ticket directly through the Deutsche Bahn site for the best prices.

https://www.bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml

We have never had an issue with tickets purchased online.

I've yet to take the trip I've booked, but it never occurred to me to wonder whether there might be any sort of problem with DB tickets bought online from DB itself! They must sell millions of these.

• Like 1

You can book tix for a route without a specific time, but on some routes you can also reserve specific seats in a specific car if you book tix for a specific time.
Trains in Europe are quite impressive an easy to manage.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have booked a first class ticket for two adults from the Deutsche Bahn site for sometime in August, but did not reserve seats. 

I pulled up my reservation and navigated to "reserve seats," chose two seats (no charge because it is first class) and then the confirmation button was "cancel and rebook." I was hesitant to push this button even though it said "no charge."

I am thinking it meant that it was canceling/changing my seat reservation, which is from "null" to the seats I want.... but I want to be sure I am not messing up my ticket.

Has someone else done this change, adding seat reservation to the ticket? or actually changed their seats?

Thanks for any re-assurance you can offer me.

When we did our month long trip in 2015, I bought all my tickets online.  Never had a bit of trouble except in Italy when we didn't validate our tickets and had to pay an extortion fee once on-board.  For the record, we didn't know that we needed to "validate" our purchased tickets so it's just a scam for tourists. Beware.  Germany and France were extremely easy.  

On 4/28/2019 at 2:13 PM, just_dont said:

Deutsch Bahn website: www.bahn.com
You can create an account and book tix online.
They have an app: DB Navigator
You can also book tix in the app, and it will hold your reservations. You just pull up your ticket on the app for the conductor to scan the barcode when they come by.
Booked several tickets in advance of our trip to Germany and the Netherlands in 2017. The app worked great.

I used Deutsch Bahn for most all my ticket purchases too.  No problems at all. Trains in Europe, especially Germany,  are unbelievably easy.