Question about nonrefundable deposit

We booked a cruise for the 4 of us a month ago and put a deposit of 1000 dollars. I would like to pay another 2000 dollars off the cruise. Now my question is, does the 2000 dollars I put extra on the cruise does that now become unrefundable? 

No only the deposit portion is non refundable.  If you change the date and/or ship you will lose $100 per person and get a future cruise voucher for the remaining $600 that has to be used within a year of the cancellation or change date.  You would get the other $2000 back

5 minutes ago, chache1982 said:

We booked a cruise for the 4 of us a month ago and put a deposit of 1000 dollars. I would like to pay another 2000 dollars off the cruise. Now my question is, does the 2000 dollars I put extra on the cruise does that now become unrefundable? 

It is only $100 per  person that is non refundable.the balance of the initial deposit,  if cancelled would be refunded to a future cruise credit to be used within a year.  Anything beyond that is completely refundable. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

BTW,  you are better off putting that $2000 in a savings account and earning a tiny bit of interest.  Or a CD if you have time.

You get NOTHING from Royal for paying early

The non-refundable deposit policy doesn’t confuse me.  I understand the $100 penalty pp they charge. I understand the future cruise credit they issue.  

An answer I can’t seem to get is......how can I use the future cruise credit?  It can’t be used as a deposit, it can only used towards payment of a cruise. But....does it have to be a new cruise?  Or, if I already had a cruise booked, not fully paid, can I apply the FCC as payment for that cruise?   

Thanks for for any clarification, in advance.....😊

5 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

The non-refundable deposit policy doesn’t confuse me.  I understand the $100 penalty pp they charge. I understand the future cruise credit they issue.  

An answer I can’t seem to get is......how can I use the future cruise credit?  It can’t be used as a deposit, it can only used towards payment of a cruise. But....does it have to be a new cruise?  Or, if I already had a cruise booked, not fully paid, can I apply the FCC as payment for that cruise?   

Thanks for for any clarification, in advance.....😊

It can be applied to an existing reservation. 

Just one more question..😶...If I have two FCCs, each from a separate cruise that needed to be cancelled....can they both be applied as payment to the same cruise?  Or does each FCC have to be applied to a separate cruise? 

Thank you again for clarification......☺️

23 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

Just one more question..😶...If I have two FCCs, each from a separate cruise that needed to be cancelled....can they both be applied as payment to the same cruise?  Or does each FCC have to be applied to a separate cruise? 

Thank you again for clarification......☺️

Yes you can apply them both to the same cruise. 

• 2 months later...

I booked a cruise using a NRF deposit sit Travel Agent "A" for Sept 2020 ($900 deposit).  We have since booked another cruise for April 2021 using Travel Agent "B".  If we cancel the September 2020 cruise I know we would forfeit $200 off of the deposit.  Would we be able to apply the $700 difference to the April 2021 cruise, even though we are using another TA?  How would that work?

7 minutes ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

I booked a cruise using a NRF deposit sit Travel Agent "A" for Sept 2020 ($900 deposit).  We have since booked another cruise for April 2021 using Travel Agent "B".  If we cancel the September 2020 cruise I know we would forfeit $200 off of the deposit.  Would we be able to apply the $700 difference to the April 2021 cruise, even though we are using another TA?  How would that work?

Yes, the FCC can be used on any booking, direct or travel agent.  

You may also want to confirm that Travel Agent "A" has no cancel fees.

• Thanks 1

So I have a GS booked on the President's cruise and am thinking of cancelling .  I have never cancelled anything since the non ref deposits took effect.  I have 500.00 deposit total, so if I cancel I will get charged/penalized 200.00 and get 300.00 back in the form of a FCC?  How long does the fcc take to be posted to your account to use?

6 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

So I have a GS booked on the President's cruise and am thinking of cancelling .  I have never cancelled anything since the non ref deposits took effect.  I have 500.00 deposit total, so if I cancel I will get charged/penalized 200.00 and get 300.00 back in the form of a FCC?  How long does the fcc take to be posted to your account to use?

If there were two guests booked on your cruise, you will get two $150 FCCs in the names of those guests, to use within a year after cancelling.  

4 minutes ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

Is that held by RCI or the TA who canceled it? 

Not sure I understand the question, but you should get the FCCs direct from Royal to use as you please.