Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
TTraub1250

" The Key" VS Royal iQ.

Recommended Posts

When you read the benefits of the Key, it does talk about having WIFI (VOOM & Stream), so the question is, with the Key do you have to have the Royal iQ app to get the daily cruise compass, book your Shore Excursions, reserve your evening entertainment, manage your dining reservations, schedule your times for onboard activities, and modify existing reservations? Anyone have experience with this ? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TTraub1250 said:

When you read the benefits of the Key, it does talk about having WIFI (VOOM & Stream), so the question is, with the Key do you have to have the Royal iQ app to get the daily cruise compass, book your Shore Excursions, reserve your evening entertainment, manage your dining reservations, schedule your times for onboard activities, and modify existing reservations? Anyone have experience with this ? 

 

You have to have the app you ,don’t need the internet package.

you can do everything the app has on your TV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fredflint said:

I was just on the Jewel   no app but had the Key option.

 

The App is planned to be on all ships at some point. 

 

If there is no App on the ship, then having VOOM will not help with seeing the Cruise Compass, making dining reservations, or excursion bookings on board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The ship is Anthem OTS and it has both the Royal iQ and "The Key".  Spent the money for "The Key" and now wondering if I need to have the Royal iQ app also. This if for the summer sailing with the full family.  I was on Anthem in the fall and the Royal iQ was just o.k.  spotty at times in its functionality !  

Edited by TTraub1250

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TTraub1250 said:

The ship is Anthem OTS and it has both the Royal iQ and "The Key".  Spent the money for "The Key" and now wondering if I need to have the Royal iQ app also. This if for the summer sailing with the full family.  I was on Anthem in the fall and the Royal iQ was just o.k.  spotty at times in its functionality !  

 

If by the time you cruise, Anthem is still using Royal IQ, then if you also have VOOM, you will not need to spend any extra on the texting option for Royal IQ.  You would use your normal internet based texting apps (or WiFi calling) on your phone for texting.  You would still need the Royal IQ app for the other features, like Compass, excursions, etc., but those are free on Royal IQ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes... thank you...  so in order to have the compass, and those features I mentioned  Royal iQ is another $7.95 per person and with 6 people that adds up to $48 more on top of the cost for the Key...  that is why I am asking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TTraub1250 said:

Yes... thank you...  so in order to have the compass, and those features I mentioned  Royal iQ is another $7.95 per person and with 6 people that adds up to $48 more on top of the cost for the Key...  that is why I am asking. 

 

You only need to pay the $7.95 is you want to text with Royal IQ.  All other functions (compass, excursions, etc.) are free with the Royal IQ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you... my misunderstanding,  this is great.  Your advice is always appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TTraub1250 said:

Thank you... my misunderstanding,  this is great.  Your advice is always appreciated. 

 

You're welcome.

 

And remember, if the Royal IQ App is replaced by the newer Royal App by the time of your cruise, then even texting will be free, no VOOM needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...