What ports are better to rent a car?

CruisinginWonderland

Maui- Kahuhui 

Honolulu

Kona

Hilo

All or only a few? I guess, are there any ports you felt you didn’t need to rent a car? 

We are intending on bringing our own snorkel gear to pretty much just do our own thing. I’m pretty much about snorkeling at each port, plus definitely visiting Pearl Harbor.

We prefer the flexibility of a rental car so we can go where we want, and on our own schedule (or lack thereof). Of course, you have to pick up and return the vehicle and have to account for traffic (especially in Honolulu), but it's still often cheaper per day to rent a car and go where you want, instead of paying an Uber/cab fare every time you get in a car, especially if you are going 20+ minutes away a couple of times. You also have to consider your port times. If you have a "short" day, it might not be worth it to deal with the hassle of renting a car.

You can use the Uber fare finder to see what the fare will cost. For example, from Pier 2 Cruise Terminal to Pearl Harbor Visitor Center is $24.41 one way (according to the Uber Fare Finder.) If you want to snorkel after that, it's another fare, and you still have to get back to the ship.

1 hour ago, CruisinginWonderland said:

Maui- Kahuhui 

Honolulu

Kona

Hilo

All or only a few? I guess, are there any ports you felt you didn’t need to rent a car? 

We are intending on bringing our own snorkel gear to pretty much just do our own thing. I’m pretty much about snorkeling at each port, plus definitely visiting Pearl Harbor.

If you are docking at Kahului you will need a car to get to beaches where you can snorkel - not to mention other points of interest - since Kahului is only a commercial/industrial area not geared for tourists.

• Like 1

My Dw and I always rent a car on all four islands.  On Maui we usually drive the west loop.  It is not for the faint of heart.  It is a narrow road without guardrails that is difficult to pass oncoming traffic in places.  I do not mind it, but many would. On the Big Island we will drive to the volcano and around the eastern coast.  On Kauai we will drive to some of the falls and the Grand Canyon of Hawaii.  On Oahu we will circle the Island to the east and come back down the middle stopping to get an ice cream cone at the Dole Plantation.  On Hwy. 83 we always stop at the Tropical Nut (macadamia) Farms.  There used to be a great cheap movie tour behind the nut farm.   If it is still there, take time and go. 

Google discount rentals in Hawaii to get the best car rental prices.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drjpreston said:

My Dw and I always rent a car on all four islands.  On Maui we usually drive the west loop.  It is not for the faint of heart.  It is a narrow road without guardrails that is difficult to pass oncoming traffic in places.  I do not mind it, but many would. 

With all due respect, your point about "the west loop" is...?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

With all due respect, your point about "the west loop" is...?

We get of ship at Lahaina. We drive north toward Kaplaua on Hwy 30.  Hwy 30 runs into Hwy 340.  That is when the road gets very narrow in places.  Stay on 340 driving toward KahuluI.  Fill up with gas at Costco if you have a card.  It will be the cheapest gas on the Island.  I usually then take Hwy 32 to Hwy 30 south toward Maalaea.  Stay on Hwy 30 back to Lahaina.   It is a great drive with many places to stop both for ocean view and town shopping.  It can easily be done in time to make it back to the cruise ship. 

We love the Road to Hana but don’t usually believe you can drive it and enjoy it in the time allowed from most cruise stops.  When we drive the Hana road we choose to drive the whole loop rather that return the same way you travel in.  It makes for a LONG day. 

I recommend renting a car in every port , except Honolulu.  In Honolulu we took bus #42 from Waikiki to Pearl Harbor, bus #2 to the Bishop Museum, and hiked up to Diamond Head from our hotel (easy approx. 7 miles round trip).  I don't have first-hand experience with renting a car in in Hilo, because in Hilo we opted for an excursion to the Volcanoes National Park and didn't rent a car.

On 5/7/2019 at 6:10 PM, czrunner said:

I recommend renting a car in every port , except Honolulu. 

I agree but we always rent even in Honolulu because we like to get away from the downtown area and go to the other side of the island.  A car gives you freedom on every island to go where you want, when you want and stop where and for however long you want too. It is cheaper than any tour if that is important to you.  Cost is important to us and we feel we get the most bang for our buck with a rental car. 

It requires you to do more research about the place you want to visit and there is a little more stress because you are doing the driving and at times parking is a problem.

• Like 1

We reserved the cars using our United frequent miles (never have enough for a flight and the miles expire if not used), and the rental process was flawless.  We went with Dollar or Thrifty as they were the cheapest for what we wanted.  You may want to check their cancellation policy if you are not sure.  Dollar/Thrifty had shuttles from/to the ports where we rented.

19 hours ago, GC456 said:

Do you guys rent the car ahead of time or do you wait till get off the ship?

You would save time by having your car reserved in advance so that it is ready to go.  Also, there are certain times (at least on Maui) when a large event is being held and there aren't many, if any, cars available when you arrive.  Reserving ahead can save a possible headache.

Rent before you get there.  Sooner the better.  They tend to run out of cars.   Google discount rentals in Hawaii for best pricing.  We have had great luck that way.  Feel free to message me for more direct advice.  I am not sure how if we are to provide names of companies we use on this forum.  

• 4 months later...
On 5/8/2019 at 8:14 PM, drjpreston said:

I agree but we always rent even in Honolulu because we like to get away from the downtown area and go to the other side of the island.  A car gives you freedom on every island to go where you want, when you want and stop where and for however long you want too. It is cheaper than any tour if that is important to you.  Cost is important to us and we feel we get the most bang for our buck with a rental car. 

It requires you to do more research about the place you want to visit and there is a little more stress because you are doing the driving and at times parking is a problem.

Where is the best place to get a car in Honolulu? I’m assuming the airport? I believe I saw shuttles that can take you near the port. Some of the other ports I could get right near. 

15 hours ago, CruisinginWonderland said:

Where is the best place to get a car in Honolulu? I’m assuming the airport? I believe I saw shuttles that can take you near the port. Some of the other ports I could get right near. 

I would price out a rental at both HNL and in Waikiki. The cruise port is a little closer to Waikiki and I'd rather return a car there, have dinner or cocktails in Waikiki and then return to the ship rather than from HNL.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone who has been to the cruise port at Nawiliwili recently know which, if any, of the car rental companies provide a shuttle from the port to the car rental office?  When I was there in 2015 I didn't rent a car but in passing through the terminal building I seem to remember seeing shuttle buses for some of the rental companies. Wondering if that is still the case?

18 hours ago, travels2c said:

Does anyone who has been to the cruise port at Nawiliwili recently know which, if any, of the car rental companies provide a shuttle from the port to the car rental office?  When I was there in 2015 I didn't rent a car but in passing through the terminal building I seem to remember seeing shuttle buses for some of the rental companies. Wondering if that is still the case?

Here is a great resource from DHRC, also a great place to get great rates.

I always rent cars,   but rarely on Oahu.   Very good bus service,  and parking is costly in Honolulu.  

Be VERY careful with snorkeling-   I always wear a floater.    Last year there were 31 snorkeler deaths in Hawaii  and multiple times that number rescues.    Too many underestimate sea conditions.   

There's two ports on the Island of Hawaii (aka the "Big Island") - Hilo and Kailua-Kona. 

For the port of Hilo, it's a pretty long walk to get out of the sorta industrial area where the boat docks to Hilo town or anything interesting.  You'd probably want a car or a tour in the Hilo port.

For the Kailua-Kona port, folks get ashore via tenders and those go to the pier in the middle of Kailua-Kona itself.  If you didn't want to rent a car for that port, there would be enough things to do and see in Kailua-Kona itself.  The pier is pretty much the focal point of Kailua-Kona so you're directly in the middle of things as soon as you get to the pier.

Edited by Niele da Kine