HAL Ten Years Later! NIEUW STATENDAM Review

eroller

I'm a little late to the game here, but I wanted to sincerely thank you ERoller for your review of the Nieuw Statendam.  I really enjoyed your review and the photographs - beautiful!  You have a very discerning eye and described well what works and doesn't work on the new ship.  I've preferred the smaller HAL ships, but reading your review makes me want to try the Nieuw Statendam (and maybe the Koningsdam), though I would miss a traditional wide wraparound promenade deck.

Thanks again for taking the time to write your thoughtful review and post those gorgeous pictures.  I usually cruise solo and like to meet congenial people on board.  I would love to meet you and your partner someday -- who knows, maybe on the Ryndam!

On 4/28/2019 at 9:51 PM, eroller said:

NIEUW STATENDAM – February 24, 2019. 7-Day Western Caribbean Cruise from Fort Lauderdale

Ernie, great review as usual. It’s been a long time since we cruised HAL which was on the Oosterdam 12 years ago. May have to look at them again. Always close by with San Diego departures.

By the way, that Carnival Fantasy class ship docked in Ocho Rios looked as though it had some rust issues. Hoped it looked better in person? 🙂

5 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

Ernie, great review as usual. It’s been a long time since we cruised HAL which was on the Oosterdam 12 years ago. May have to look at them again. Always close by with San Diego departures.

By the way, that Carnival Fantasy class ship docked in Ocho Rios looked as though it had some rust issues. Hoped it looked better in person? 🙂

I'm glad you enjoyed the review!  I'm not a big fan of HAL but I really loved the cruise and the ship.  It won me over.  I would not hesitate to sail on NS or one of her sister ships again.  

The Carnival ship actually looked worse in person.  Pretty much every Carnival ship we encountered looked worse for wear.  Not impressed at all.