Taking cards but can we use them ?

Nickynac

7 hours ago, Alaskanb said:

In the US you can request a tap and go card from Capital One. 

I just called and was told that tap and pay is not available "for your product". Apparently I have to ditch the Venture card for something else if I want that feature. WHAT??? I've been using this card for quite a while and use it for everything but gas. I don't want to change cards. Poop.

EDIT: I called Capital One back and got someone more helpul. She said the problem is that they are only sending out the metal Venture cards and the metal cards won't work with tap and pay. At least she told me what the problem is. Ah, well. If this is the worst problem I have today I'm doing well. I'll just set up Google Pay and can use the NFC feature to pay with the card if I like.

Edited by Thrak

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

I just called and was told that tap and pay is not available "for your product". Apparently I have to ditch the Venture card for something else if I want that feature. WHAT??? I've been using this card for quite a while and use it for everything but gas. I don't want to change cards. Poop.

EDIT: I called Capital One back and got someone more helpul. She said the problem is that they are only sending out the metal Venture cards and the metal cards won't work with tap and pay. At least she told me what the problem is. Ah, well. If this is the worst problem I have today I'm doing well. I'll just set up Google Pay and can use the NFC feature to pay with the card if I like.

Just set it up in your iPhone using the Venture Card as your credit card of choice in Apple Pay.    Go to Wallet, then "Add Card".  That's what I did and it seems to work fine as a way to get around it.

Edited:  Just saw you're going to use Google Pay the same way.  Awesome!

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Ours is Venture One and is plastic! Has a wifi symbol on the back of the card

53 minutes ago, Alaskanb said:

Ours is Venture One and is plastic! Has a wifi symbol on the back of the card

Yes. Venture One is a different card. Mine is just Venture. They have different attributes. The Venture has been a metal card for quite a while now.

Venture One gives 1.25 points per dollar and had no annual fee. Venture gives 2 points per dollar and does have an annual fee. If you spend under $3,000 per year you definitely come out better with Venture One. My Venture bill runs $2,500 - $3,500 each month. Like I said above, we charge everything but gas. The grocery bill easily covers the $3k per year. That's $250 a month. Heck, when was the last time you went to Costco for under $250? and that's not even the "regular" grocery shopping. Car insurance, cell phones, utilities, airlines, cruises (!), etc. definitely push it up. We're booked for 3 cruises this year. We also take multi-week trips. Hotels add up as do the expenses related to long camping trips. Think of how may bills one has and put them all on the charge card and it works out for us. You can go to the web site and use points to erase any travel expense including hotels, car rentals, uber, taxis, or anything else that is travel-related so you're not just limited to airlines.

Edited by Thrak

The OP is in the UK and their credit cards will work everywhere.  Any confusion that arises is from Americans who despite living in one of the world's most technologically advanced nations are at least a decade behind the rest of us when it comes to credit card technology.  Canada has had tap and go for at least 5 years, chip and pin for over a decade.   

It is quite nostalgic to sign a credit card slip while visiting the U.S.A.  It's a pain however not to be able to use non-resident credit cards at the pumps of most America gas stations.    

Edited by K32682
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2019 at 9:28 PM, cadreamer said:

Are there any banks in the US that issue chip and PIN cards? I have not found any. Chip and a PIN would be very convenient for bus/metro/train tickets. I also read in Rick Steve's that there is a kiosk for Vasa tix which only takes chip and PIN. Lines to buy with other credit crds can get long. Thanks.

I have a couple.  But one is a AMEX from my bank.

On 4/29/2019 at 10:58 PM, waltd said:

This is all a bit confusing for me but do debit cards count?   I have a chip but also have a pin.   Depending on how the retailer rings it up I can use either.  Comes from a credit union.

Most recommend to not use a debit card for purchases.  As it is directly connected to your bank account.

But yes, debit cards are chip and pin.

The only place that I have run into only chip and pin being accepted was the Netherlands.  And then only for transport tickets.  Auto machine or the ticket desk needed chip and pin.

On 4/29/2019 at 11:54 PM, Thrak said:

Cards in the US are "chip and sign". We can't possibly be like the rest of the world.:classic_blink: Chip and sign cards are not at all secure. I usually draw a "happy face" in the signature area and it goes through fine. Signing for use of credit was originally in place so merchants could compare the signature on the back of the card or the signature on your ID to verify the signature on the credit slip. They stopped doing that a long time ago. Now we just have a stupid system that isn't compatible with other countries.

If you disputed a charge and the bank actually had the receipt, they could deny the dispute if it was your signature.

But as you say, it is not really used much any more.  And a lot of places in the world (not US) they have not bothered to get my signature.

On 4/29/2019 at 11:54 PM, Thrak said:

Cards in the US are "chip and sign". We can't possibly be like the rest of the world.:classic_blink: Chip and sign cards are not at all secure. I usually draw a "happy face" in the signature area and it goes through fine. Signing for use of credit was originally in place so merchants could compare the signature on the back of the card or the signature on your ID to verify the signature on the credit slip. They stopped doing that a long time ago. Now we just have a stupid system that isn't compatible with other countries.

If you disputed a charge and the bank actually had the receipt, they could deny the dispute if it was your signature.

But as you say, it is not really used much any more.  And a lot of places in the world (not US) they have not bothered to get my signature.

On 4/30/2019 at 2:43 AM, Ron the Rev said:

Hello minabruuke, Suggest you check your 20 euro note as the design has changed since that time and yours is probably invalid

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/euro/banknotes/europa/html/index.en.html

"The first series of euro banknotes will continue to be issued alongside the Europa series of notes until the remaining stocks have been used up. They will then be gradually phased out. The date when the first series of euro banknotes ceases to be legal tender will be announced well in advance. However, the banknotes of the first series will always retain their value: they can be exchanged for an unlimited period of time at the Eurosystem NCBs."

21 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I have not had to sign for purchases with my cards using a signature for a very long time, it is either tap and go, swipe and pin or insert and pin.

Because you are not the US, using US banks and cards. 😄

1 hour ago, CPT Trips said:

The sad thing is that several years ago USAA scrapped there chip and pin cards for chip and sig. One giant step back!

We have USAA chip and pin cards (in fact I just added the pin after reading this thread!) with no foreign transaction fees:  the preferred cash rewards Visa card.  I was able to request and assign myself a pin on line.  Hope this helps you!

23 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I thought Citibank was US owned.

Different rules for different countries.

Even if the parent is US, your card is likely issued by CitiBank AUS or something like that.

12 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

The sad thing is that several years ago USAA scrapped there chip and pin cards for chip and sig. One giant step back!

Sorry, my USAA card is chip and pin.

On 4/30/2019 at 9:23 AM, cboyle said:

You are welcome.

I personally have not encountered any train or bus ticket kiosks that did not allow the purchase of more than one ticket at a time. I hope anyone who has encountered this situation will chime in and let us know.

I picked up this info from DanishViking on the "paying for public transport in ports" thread. It is under the Ports of Call section. See Northern European and Baltic. Basically he said you can't make 2 purchases in a row for the same amount. It is for fraud protection. You can see his response on that thread.

4 hours ago, cadreamer said:

I picked up this info from DanishViking on the "paying for public transport in ports" thread. It is under the Ports of Call section. See Northern European and Baltic. Basically he said you can't make 2 purchases in a row for the same amount. It is for fraud protection. You can see his response on that thread.

Thanks! Good to know.

I have not had a problem buying two tickets at once in UK, Italy, Germany and Australia. Have not tried Scandinavia or Baltic. 

It just goes to show that every ticket machine has its own quirks!

• 2 weeks later...

We did run into a minor problem with the credit cards and restaurants.  They advertised on the door that they accepted them but when you went to pay the "machine was down" or some other such story and they wanted cash.  We would even ask before ordering if a credit card was acceptable.  So be prepared to pay in cash if necessary but somehow that machine would break down while we were eating (lol).

On 4/30/2019 at 8:44 PM, K32682 said:

It's a pain however not to be able to use non-resident credit cards at the pumps of most America gas stations.   

There's a workaround for that which pleased me no end when I was told about it - if it's one of the 'swipe your card and enter your Zip Code for verification' gas pumps you can give it a 'zipified' version of your postal code that works: just use the 3 numbers in your postal code, in order, and add 2 zeroes to the end. Or join Costco - I've never found any of their gas pumps bother with any verification on credit cards, since you've just swiped your member card to prove you are you. Plus no extra charge for credit, plus almost always the lowest price in the area.

Edit - this works for Canadian cards at least. I suppose it might also work for UK and other alphanumeric postal code countries, adding enough zeroes to digits from postal code to make 5 total digits...

Edited by martincath

On 4/29/2019 at 1:06 PM, Thrak said:

Okay. I just now Googled "chip and pin credit cards usa 2019".  This is one of the resulting links:

https://www.cardrates.com/advice/chip-and-pin-credit-cards/

My Capital One Venture is listed there along with a few of others. I called and got a PIN and, while I haven't used it overseas yet, they assured me it would work as Chip and Pin. Hopefully they aren't full of baloney.

I called Capital One today, I have the World Card.  The gentleman that I spoke with said they do not have the Chip & Pin card that others seem to have.  If I were to use my PIN on my card, it would be treated as a CASH ADVANCE, making it become much more expensive to use in the Kiosks. 😯 

I hope yours worked out ok for you.

3 hours ago, jbmom2120 said:

I called Capital One today, I have the World Card.  The gentleman that I spoke with said they do not have the Chip & Pin card that others seem to have.  If I were to use my PIN on my card, it would be treated as a CASH ADVANCE, making it become much more expensive to use in the Kiosks. 😯 

I hope yours worked out ok for you.

I have a CapitalOne debit card that has a pin number. I have it mainly for ATM withdrawals overseas, but it can also be used for purchases. Of course you need a CapitalOne checking or savings account that the debit card can be connected to.