Anybody take the Dunedin to Milford Sound Overnight Shore Excursion?

mahdnc

We are taking the Dec 23 2019 Celebrity Solstice round trip cruise to New Zealand out of Sydney.  One of the tours that recently was added to the shore excursion list is "DD51: Multi-Day Adventures - Queenstown - Dunedin/Milford".  It leaves out of Dunedin, has an overnight stay at the Heritage Queenstown and the trip finishes at Milford Sound.  It is also expensive at $719 pp (my family of 4 is on this cruise!).

I have checked the NZ board for information (which gets little traffic) and thought that I would pose the questions here:

1. Even though Milford Sound is not a port, I presume that passengers on this excursion are tendered back to the ship?
  2. Solstice is scheduled to visit Dusky, Doubtful, and Milford Sounds.  How much of this do you miss if you take the excursion?
  3. What approx time do you get off and back on the ship?

Any other comments about the tour would be welcome.

I have been encouraged by a NZ native who was on our Jan 4 Reflection cruise that this shore excursion was the one to go on even at the expense of paring back my spending on other shore excursions.  While I like the idea of actually spending an overnight in NZ, I am concerned about the cost.  And I am concerned that we will miss sailing through the sounds which is one of the highlights of the cruise.  Lastly, this shore excursion ends on New Year's Eve which is not ideal timing.  Again, any comments and insights would be welcome.

David

Edited by mahdnc

2 hours ago, mahdnc said:

We are taking the Dec 23 2019 Celebrity Solstice round trip cruise to New Zealand out of Sydney.  One of the tours that recently was added to the shore excursion list is "DD51: Multi-Day Adventures - Queenstown - Dunedin/Milford".  It leaves out of Dunedin, has an overnight stay at the Heritage Queenstown and the trip finishes at Milford Sound.  It is also expensive at $719 pp (my family of 4 is on this cruise!).

I have checked the NZ board for information (which gets little traffic) and thought that I would pose the questions here:

1. Even though Milford Sound is not a port, I presume that passengers on this excursion are tendered back to the ship?
  2. Solstice is scheduled to visit Dusky, Doubtful, and Milford Sounds.  How much of this do you miss if you take the excursion?

I have been encouraged by a NZ native who was on our Jan 4 Reflection cruise that this shore excursion was the one to go on even at the expense of paring back my spending on other shore excursions.  While I like the idea of actually spending an overnight in NZ, I am concerned about the cost.  And I am concerned that we will miss sailing through the sounds which is one of the highlights of the cruise.  Lastly, this shore excursion ends on New Year's Eve which is not ideal timing.  Again, any comments and insights would be welcome.

David

I haven’t done and haven’t talked to anyone who has done that excursion.

It’s sounds like a fantastic experience especially the drive to Milford sound which I’ve done a few times.

BUT you miss Dusky and Doubful sounds some of the main reason you’re doing the cruise and which you can’t see by land and also as you said it’s expensive.

For that kind of money for the four of you ,it would be affordable to fly to Queenstown spend a couple of nights and hire a car,especially on the way back to America.

Queenstown is a place not to be missed.

Edited by Chiliburn

We've done three NZ cruises ex Auckland on Solstice and she usually enters Milford Sound around 4pm. The excursion passengers are tendered out to the ship once she reaches the head of the sound, probably around 4:45pm-5:15pm. You will miss Dusky and Doubtful Sounds, but you will see the Milford Sound scenery as the ship leaves the sound. I imagine the excursion would leave Dunedin quite early in the morning and you would only get a glimpse of the sights of Dunedin as you pass through the city although I've heard the tour does make a brief stop at Dunedin's beautiful railway station. The drive through Central Otago is beautiful, and the trip into Milford Sound by road is spectacular. However you will spend quite a lot of time on a bus, probably around 4 hours getting to Queenstown not including any stops along the way, and another 4 hours or more getting from Queenstown to Milford Sound. It really depends on whether the highlights offered on the excursion are worth it to you.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

On 4/29/2019 at 2:35 PM, mahdnc said:

Any other comments about the tour would be welcome.  I have been encouraged by a NZ native who was on our Jan 4 Reflection cruise that this shore excursion was the one to go on even at the expense of paring back my spending on other shore excursions.  While I like the idea of actually spending an overnight in NZ, I am concerned about the cost.  And I am concerned that we will miss sailing through the sounds which is one of the highlights of the cruise.  Lastly, this shore excursion ends on New Year's Eve which is not ideal timing.  Again, any comments and insights would be welcome.  David

As detailed below from my live/blog while sailing on the Solstice from Sydney to Auckland, we did the Queenstown overnight excursion.  Not cheap, but we absolutely LOVED sampling these scenic and interesting parts of New Zealand's amazing South island.  We did gain a very good sampling of the dramatic scenery in Milford Sound.  Would we like to have seen more in these NZ fjords?  Yes!  But, Queenstown and all that we experienced during these two days was very worthy.  Need proof?  Go to my live/blog around posts #301-309.  Below are just a few photographic examples of "evidence".  It's a personal choice!!  With a family of four, agree, it ALL adds up.  Understand your challenge.  Happy to answer any added questions if you just post on my live/blog.   

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 220,109 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Here is one initial Queenstown visual sample. First, the view towards the famous Remarkable Mountains that tower over the scenic lake and its adjoining town.  These pictures are nice, but being there in person is so much, much better!!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

QueentownExcurA31_zps092814c9.jpg

Here is a sampling for my visuals in connection with this steamship sailing leading to the dinner at the sheep station at the other end of this scenic lake. You can see a couple of closer views from this ship, including the old wood with the scenic mountains in the background, the ship captain at the controls, etc.:

QueentownExcurA24_zps2a4c81d5.jpg

QueentownExcurA27_zps7b5f4cab.jpg

Here is an overview of the location where we would have our BBQ buffet dinner. Great mountain/lake setting, design and architecture!! Near this building is where the sheep-dog program was conducted later that evening.: 

QueentownExcurA23_zps045547e5.jpg

Here is a view of the main street in Arrowtown with lots of character and charm. Plus, many shops! High-quality ones!! Just the kind that my wife and others love. As you can see, there were historic places for beers, cheese, etc., too! Not just clothing and jade/jewelry.:

QueentownExcurA43_zps2d91792c.jpg

Here are two of my pictures from the Kawarau Suspension Bridge and its dramatic gorge nearby to Queenstown. It's a classy bridge design in a setting that is world-class. The second picture shows a person headed down toward the water.   It's a narrow bridge where such jumping was invented.  This bridge was built way before cars and trucks had been invented and built.:

QueentownExcurA17_zpsa21bfc30.jpg

QueentownExcurA22_zps967b81d5.jpg

On 4/29/2019 at 2:35 PM, mahdnc said:

David

Hi David,

We're on Solstice doing the B2B of the GBR and New Zealand in October 2019 (I've corresponded with you on your Live thread on your GBR cruise).

If you are seeing a price of $719 pp, that's great.   For our cruise, it is offered in the opposite direction - Milford Sound, Queenstown, Dunedin.   When I first looked it was $999 pp.  Now it is $1339 pp!   So if you are even considering it, book it now, and you can always cancel it.     I'd been thinking about it originally, but then didn't book it.   Out of the question now.

Marilyn

Hi everyone and thank you so much for your replies.  My thought right now is to skip it mainly because there are so many trade-offs for spending almost $3000 USD for the 4 of us.  To me, sailing thru the sounds was the part of the cruise that I was looking forward to the most.  Also, I don't think my adult kids are built for long bus rides and they would be upset to know that they gave up what is essentially a lazy, scenic, sea day for the bus ride.   

Although Marilyn, your pricing insights had me thinking hard about it.

Finally, I am realizing that our next cruise after New Zealand--a Southeast Asia Millennium cruise in Dec 2020--is going to involve a lot of money for shore exc, hotels, etc, so I think I am going to save the $3000 for that.   

4 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Hi everyone and thank you so much for your replies.  My thought right now is to skip it mainly because there are so many trade-offs for spending almost $3000 USD for the 4 of us.  To me, sailing thru the sounds was the part of the cruise that I was looking forward to the most.  Also, I don't think my adult kids are built for long bus rides and they would be upset to know that they gave up what is essentially a lazy, scenic, sea day for the bus ride.   

Although Marilyn, your pricing insights had me thinking hard about it.

Finally, I am realizing that our next cruise after New Zealand--a Southeast Asia Millennium cruise in Dec 2020--is going to involve a lot of money for shore exc, hotels, etc, so I think I am going to save the $3000 for that.   

Hi David,

I struggled with this, too, even when the price was lower.   Our cruise (the B2B with the GBR) is to celebrate my 70th, so my husband wanted to make sure I enjoyed it, esp. after I realized how many sea days there were, and read all your info about the tendering on the GBR.   But I read it was a lot of time on the bus, and neither one of us is interested in shopping (hey, we need to get rid of stuff, not get more!).  

I suppose if it was less bus riding, and more time to experience Queenstown, we might have done it.  I did read a review of it from someone else who thought the scenery was great.  But I read an equally enthusiastic review of cruising the sounds.

This seemed more like one of the panorama overview excursions that we tend to avoid.     My friends changed from Celebrity's NZ cruise, where they were going to do this excursion,  to a Ponant cruise to NZ and they have 2 days in Queenstown pre-cruise.   That is probably a better way to see and experience the area.   Of course, your kids would probably want to experience some of the adrenaline activities that Queenstown is famous for, and I don't think the Celebrity excursion allows for that.   A lakeside BBQ isn't the same as bungee jumping, jet-boating, zorbing, etc.   (maybe not going is better for your wallet :classic_laugh: )

I, too, have decided there are lots of other places to spend those $$$ - helicopter tours over the GBR, etc.  

1 hour ago, the mice said:

My friends changed from Celebrity's NZ cruise, where they were going to do this excursion,  to a Ponant cruise to NZ and they have 2 days in Queenstown pre-cruise.   That is probably a better way to see and experience the area.

Yes, without a doubt this is a much better way to see Queenstown. And if you can spend more time there, you'll be able to see more of what the area can offer.

3 hours ago, the mice said:

Hi David,

I struggled with this, too, even when the price was lower.   Our cruise (the B2B with the GBR) is to celebrate my 70th, so my husband wanted to make sure I enjoyed it, esp. after I realized how many sea days there were, and read all your info about the tendering on the GBR.   But I read it was a lot of time on the bus, and neither one of us is interested in shopping (hey, we need to get rid of stuff, not get more!).  

I suppose if it was less bus riding, and more time to experience Queenstown, we might have done it.  I did read a review of it from someone else who thought the scenery was great.  But I read an equally enthusiastic review of cruising the sounds.

This seemed more like one of the panorama overview excursions that we tend to avoid.     My friends changed from Celebrity's NZ cruise, where they were going to do this excursion,  to a Ponant cruise to NZ and they have 2 days in Queenstown pre-cruise.   That is probably a better way to see and experience the area.   Of course, your kids would probably want to experience some of the adrenaline activities that Queenstown is famous for, and I don't think the Celebrity excursion allows for that.   A lakeside BBQ isn't the same as bungee jumping, jet-boating, zorbing, etc.   (maybe not going is better for your wallet :classic_laugh: )

I, too, have decided there are lots of other places to spend those $$$ - helicopter tours over the GBR, etc.  

Marilyn,

I agree with you completely.  And it just means that we will have to come back to New Zealand some day and do a proper land tour to see all this and more.

David

David - if you want to do a land tour of NZ, check out this website.   https://www.bungy.co.nz/    Your doctor might not approve, but your kids would probably love this stuff.  :classic_wink:     There's bungy jumping off the Auckland bridge or the Skywalk,  so you could do that stuff on your cruise. 

-  Marilyn

Edited by the mice

On 5/5/2019 at 10:05 PM, the mice said:

David - if you want to do a land tour of NZ, check out this website.   https://www.bungy.co.nz/    Your doctor might not approve, but your kids would probably love this stuff.  :classic_wink:     There's bungy jumping off the Auckland bridge or the Skywalk,  so you could do that stuff on your cruise. 

-  Marilyn

Marilyn,

Thanks for sharing.  I didn't see this post until just now.  That website is just amazing. 

Hi David,

Was wondering where you went off to.    Yeah, amazing stuff - my knees went weak just looking at the video of the Skywalk.

We should both have fun on our respective NZ cruises.   (but I'm a little too old and a lot too chicken for most of this stuff!  :classic_biggrin:

-   Marilyn

We did the overnight from Milford to Dunedin in 2016 on Celebrity Solstice.   Loved it!   Celebrity offered two versions of the overnights when we did it.  The traditional with a full sized bus and guide.  They also offered a more private upcharged version with something like a minivan.  The price per person was $900 in 2016.  The minivan allowed more stops and personal interaction with the guide.  If you go to the SHore Excursions desk you will get a pamphlet desk with a lot of different Private Journey options. We did one in Hobart for the Bonorong zoo and got to go in the cages.

As mentioned in the previous posts, we stopped at Milford and various places along the way.  We stopped for Lambshanks on our way to Queenstown.  We stayed in Queenstown with a lovely hotel.  We did the evening dinner at the sheepsheering farm with a steamboat there and back.  We walked in town to the various shops.   We stopped at a winery and then the river gorge and were offered an opportunity to try bungy jumping.

IMG_2386.jpg

IMG_2408.jpg

private journey.jpeg

• 2 months later...
On 5/3/2019 at 8:58 PM, the mice said:

Hi David,

We're on Solstice doing the B2B of the GBR and New Zealand in October 2019 (I've corresponded with you on your Live thread on your GBR cruise).

If you are seeing a price of $719 pp, that's great.   For our cruise, it is offered in the opposite direction - Milford Sound, Queenstown, Dunedin.   When I first looked it was $999 pp.  Now it is $1339 pp!   So if you are even considering it, book it now, and you can always cancel it.     I'd been thinking about it originally, but then didn't book it.   Out of the question now.

Marilyn

The price has dropped to $539 pp!  But I think we are still going to pass on it, although I have thought about it more.

Queenstown Multi-Day Adventures.JPG

27 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

The price has dropped to $539 pp!  But I think we are still going to pass on it, although I have thought about it more.

Queenstown Multi-Day Adventures.JPG

Wow!   For our cruise in October it is now $1559 per adult!   NUTS!  (politest word I could use :classic_laugh: )

In reading the description, I had several thoughts - don't want to miss sailing through the sounds (hope we get good weather), we don't drink so not interested in the winery (we've toured many on past trips) and not interested in the lake steamer cruise, or shopping.   And don't want to be riding on a bus.  

But I can't believe the price for it on your cruise.    

If have any questions about excursions for this cruise, feel free to post.   Or you can email me   themice <at> verizon <dot> net.   Least I can do since you've been so helpful.   Of course, we don't go until October, so I won't have any personal experience of the excursions until I return home in November.     

BTW,  have you seen this cruise report?   I found it helpful.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2487796-photo-review-of-solstice-november-11-2017-new-zealand-amp-australia-cruise/

Most importantly, I hope you are doing well and feeling great! 

---  Marilyn

3 hours ago, the mice said:

Wow!   For our cruise in October it is now $1559 per adult!   NUTS!  (politest word I could use :classic_laugh: )

In reading the description, I had several thoughts - don't want to miss sailing through the sounds (hope we get good weather), we don't drink so not interested in the winery (we've toured many on past trips) and not interested in the lake steamer cruise, or shopping.   And don't want to be riding on a bus.  

But I can't believe the price for it on your cruise.    

If have any questions about excursions for this cruise, feel free to post.   Or you can email me   themice <at> verizon <dot> net.   Least I can do since you've been so helpful.   Of course, we don't go until October, so I won't have any personal experience of the excursions until I return home in November.     

BTW,  have you seen this cruise report?   I found it helpful.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2487796-photo-review-of-solstice-november-11-2017-new-zealand-amp-australia-cruise/

Most importantly, I hope you are doing well and feeling great! 

---  Marilyn

Good evening, Marilyn.

I kind of agree with your assessment--don't want to miss the sounds, not interested in the steamer cruise, and my family will dislike being trapped on a bus (mice don't like traps either, do they?).  The differences in pricing between our two sailings is amazing.

I will be sure to email you in the future to pick your brain as I complete my planning.

I have seen the the photo review by cruise kitty.  But thank you for sending me the link so I can bookmark it this time!!

David