Regatta: South Pacific 1st Timers! Tips/Insights?

TLCOhio

Ours left at 12:30am - we had been delayed an hour.  We took the air with Oceania.  Also we had a lot of OBC so we took the day room at a hotel through Oceania which I think costs $175 each, we just booked this while on the Marina.  They had water, juice, sandwiches, desserts, free of charge.  We paid for our lunch at the hotel restaurant.  Also if you wanted to go on a tour they provided that for an extra charge.

12 minutes ago, sitraveler said:

Before I ask my TA, when do flights from Papeete to USA depart?

Based on my preliminary checking, our probable return flight would be from Papeete, Thur., March 5, depart 11:15 pm, arrive 8:55 am in Los Angeles, 789-Boeing 787, Operated by Air Tahiti Nui, Travel time: 7h 40min.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

For latest live/blog, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East on the Oceania Nautica.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

On 6/3/2019 at 4:27 PM, Hawaiidan said:

A note on beaches.....with  a small exception  Bora has no public access beaches.   Beaches all are owned by a hotel or some one and you have to pay to use then.    Almost all beaches are in the lagoon not on Bora Bora  and require a boat  tour to get to.   In the 5 times in Bora  I have found no real difference in snorkeling.   

Good additional background from Hawaiidan as to the beaches in Bora Bora being limited and/or private. That's why for our two days in Bora Bora, we are consider doing the second day at one of the resorts to sample "life" in one of these luxury beach settings, etc.   More great sharing from Petoonya and deus, etc.  Keep it coming.  

On Fiji, from CNN and other news sources today, I have been interested in this breaking news story with this headline: “Texas couple on holiday in Fiji die from unidentified illness”  with these highlights: “The deaths of an American couple who became ill while vacationing in Fiji late last month are being investigated by health officials on the South Pacific Island, with help from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.”

Major questions as to what caused this illness and if any of "it" was related to something in Fiji. Will follow this story with interest. 

Full story at:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/04/asia/us-citizens-dead-illness-fiji/index.html

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 45,687 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Fakarava - my husband remembered that there is a beach down the road about 100 to 150 meters.  We never knew about this beach until we were leaving Fakarava but another passenger told us that they had gone there for the day. 

23 hours ago, sitraveler said:

Before I ask my TA, when do flights from Papeete to USA depart?

This goes for  Hawaiian  to HNL and Tahiti Nui  LAX.  about 2445.        Not sure of United to SFO

Air France LAX goes at  0800 and is a much better non red  eye choice        You can get business class for the 8 hour flight for around $1900 pp    O, one time offered me  upgrade to Business on Tahiti Nui for $800 pp   You might ask  Even though it is a charter the plane still has Business seats   UAL does too.   Hawaiian  business is a joke on you...  THats my experience

Air france and Tahiti Nui  are code share with DL AA, QA,NZ    it is a small airport,  open air waiting area no AC  for coach. 

Good luck      

18 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Good additional background from Hawaiidan as to the beaches in Bora Bora being limited and/or private. That's why for our two days in Bora Bora, we are consider doing the second day at one of the resorts to sample "life" in one of these luxury beach settings, etc.   More great sharing from Petoonya and deus, etc.  Keep it coming.  

On Fiji, from CNN and other news sources today, I have been interested in this breaking news story with this headline: “Texas couple on holiday in Fiji die from unidentified illness”  with these highlights: “The deaths of an American couple who became ill while vacationing in Fiji late last month are being investigated by health officials on the South Pacific Island, with help from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.”

Major questions as to what caused this illness and if any of "it" was related to something in Fiji. Will follow this story with interest. 

Full story at:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/04/asia/us-citizens-dead-illness-fiji/index.html

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 45,687 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

A note on health problems in the South pacific.    Coral cuts  are #1... treat them seriously with  Hydrogen peroxide and neosporin...    Mosquito and  No see um  bite #2    get max Deet....  military  Jungle juice is good. Keep out of fresh water they have all sorts of parasites  and MERSA and Denge.       #3   Staphylococcus  in the tropics is airborne... treat any cut or abrasion fast dress them till pretty much healed  you can get sick fast.

Owing to the warm humid temp the region is a playground for critters that like people.

On 6/5/2019 at 12:46 PM, Hawaiidan said:

A note on health problems in the South pacific.    Coral cuts  are #1... treat them seriously with  Hydrogen peroxide and neosporin...    Mosquito and  No see um  bite #2    get max Deet....  military  Jungle juice is good. Keep out of fresh water they have all sorts of parasites  and MERSA and Denge.       #3   Staphylococcus  in the tropics is airborne... treat any cut or abrasion fast dress them till pretty much healed  you can get sick fast.  Owing to the warm humid temp the region is a playground for critters that like people.

WOW!!  What a great summary and important details listed above by Hawaiidan.  I have shared this response with my wife who is a Registered Nurse.  She was very concerned about our stop in Fiji and the attention on the mystery deaths there.  I will also share these excellent insights on our cruise roll call. Keep it coming.  Great sharing.  

For latest live/blog, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East while sailing on the Oceania Nautica.  See much more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

On 6/5/2019 at 9:55 AM,  nuneham said: 

South Pacific: We loved the friendly people, the softest white sand & the warmth, even in the occasional shower. We were there in January/February & there was some motion in the ocean at times, we actually missed Samoa on that account.  Our day in Port Vila when we managed a jetboat ride around the bay, an off-road buggy ride & a walk in the rain forest all in one day. Very impressive cascades & waterfalls. We also had an amazing day on Savala Island from Lautoka, Fiji.   The approach to Bora Bora is a dream - a rim of white waves lapping around a truly turquoise lagoon, with the land rising steeply from the coast. Tahiti was more developed, we like it less than other places we saw.  You may find parents encouraging children to sing to welcome you! We had been warned - poverty & unemployment are big problems. I had taken other small things to give - pencils, small books - & others had sweets or toiletries.  I think you will love it - I am envious.

Thought I would share here some very helpful and interesting information about these key South Pacific locations.  This was posted by an experienced traveler on another Cruise Critic board who is getting ready to her first cruise with Oceania.  All sounds exciting for these various ports. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 47,040 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Re Coral Cuts

My husband got about six cuts from coral, two or three looked quite significant.  He washed them for 15 minutes in the shower using the hand held nozzle.  Yes it was a pain but  he stayed in the shower for the full 15 minutes washing them well.  We also bought the Tamanu oil in Bora Bora and applied it after cleaning them.  He is on blood thinners because of blood clots and he had no problems at all.  We had brought with us a prescription from our doctor just in case we did get cut from coral, but he never had to take them.  I think you just have to wash them thoroughly and I mean thoroughly.  Do not think a few minutes are ok, do it well.  He never used any antibiotic cream, bandages.  They healed beautifully I think because he cleaned them really well and used that Tamanu oil.  I also got cuts and did the same as my husband and healed with no problems.  

• 2 weeks later...

On 6/14/2019 at 8:20 PM, deus said:

Re Coral Cuts.  My husband got about six cuts from coral, two or three looked quite significant.  He washed them for 15 minutes in the shower using the hand held nozzle.  Yes it was a pain but  he stayed in the shower for the full 15 minutes washing them well.  We also bought the Tamanu oil in Bora Bora and applied it after cleaning them.  He is on blood thinners because of blood clots and he had no problems at all.  

Appreciate these great comments and follow-up from our friend in the Vancouver area.  From the Washington Post yesterday, they had this headline: “Americans will need a travel document to enter New Zealand, starting Oct. 1” with these highlights: “Previously, Americans visiting New Zealand could simply show up, passport in hand, and enter the country. However, starting this fall — or spring, for Southern Hemisphere dwellers — the island nation will require some extra minutes of pre-departure planning.Though the United States is one of 60 visa-waiver countries, Americans and other nationals from this group will need to apply for a New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA) for travel starting Oct. 1.”  

Many of us doing the South Pacific, will start out or end our trip in Auckland.  Hence, this information might be "need-to-know news."  This story also details: "The form will become available in July on the New Zealand Immigration’s website and mobile phone app. The cost: 9 New Zealand dollars (about $6) for the app submission and 12 New Zealand dollars (about $8) for the online form. Visitors must also pay the new International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy, which is earmarked for tourism infrastructure and environmental protection. The fee costs 35 New Zealand dollars, or $23."

Full story at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/americans-will-need-a-travel-document-to-enter-new-zealand-starting-oct-1/2019/06/26/a4f23482-977a-11e9-8d0a-5edd7e2025b1_story.html?utm_term=.5ac9156964c0

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 221,926 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

From the Sydney Morning Herald and other Fairfax newspapers in Australia yesterday, they had this headline: “Moorea, French Polynesia travel guide and things to do: Nine must-do highlights” with these highlights: “The wickedly-indulgent accommodation concept of the overwater bungalow originated in this part of the world and Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa is a luxurious example, with giddy tariffs to match. It features a necklace of lavish overwater bungalows.  Luxury resorts aside, the relaxed Moorea Beach Café enjoys one of the choicest lagoonside locales of any restaurant on the island. Be sure to secure one of the coveted waterside tables at sunset then sit back and savour one of the menu's excellent fish dishes, such as wasabi-crusted seared tuna with creamy mashed potato.”  Sounds like a tasty treat in a super scenic location!!??

Although our February 2020 South Pacific cruise does not include a stop at Moorea, others might arrange visiting there after completing the official cruising schedule.  Here are some other good tip for this famed location: "Moorea, like everywhere else in French Polynesia, is overshadowed by Bora Bora yet it is every bit as spectacular and, for that matter, far more authentic. Don't be captive to your accommodation on Moorea. Rent a vehicle for at least a day to properly explore the island. The scenic, coast-hugging main road that circumnavigates the island is well-made and maintained, and there's also the bonus of being able to glimpse  daily village life along the way. Beware, Mooreans drive on the right side of the road."  

Full story at:

http://www.traveller.com.au/moorea-french-polynesia-travel-guide-and-things-to-do-nine-mustdo-highlights-h1elm7

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 64,129 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Here is one of the visuals used to illustrate this article about the beauty of this Moorea location.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

1234817663_ScreenShot2019-06-29at4_14_50PM.thumb.png.edb8d9fa6d0edc247761600fd05626a9.png

From CNN, the cable news network yesterday, they had this headline: “Lonely Planet's best places to visit in Asia Pacific for 2019” with these story highlights: “From sweeping vineyards and turquoise oceans to gleaming city lights and 12th-century temples, there's no shortage of incredible destinations in Asia Pacific.  If you're struggling to pick which spot you should prioritize on your next vacation, Lonely Planet's new roundup of the region's best places to visit might help you along.”

This summary includes highlighting: "Bay of Islands and Northland in New Zealand. Go there for subtropical islands, Māori heritage and stunning landscapes."  In addition, Fiji was praised by Lonely Planet for its "commitment to sustainability".  Among the other top locations cited were Margaret River and Southern WA/Australia, Shikoku/Japan, Singapore, Cook Islands, Central Vietnam, Palawan/Philippines, Beijing/China and Cambodia.  

Full story at:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/lonely-planet-asia-pacific-best-destinations-2019/index.html

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 236,347 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Below are a couple of the many visuals used to illustrate this CNN/Lonely Planet profile of top options for Asia and the Pacific.  This includes for Fiji and NZ's Bay of Island.  Both look wonderful and very attractive!!  Looking forward to visiting in early 2020.:

http---cdn_cnn.com-cnnnext-dam-assets-180804112046-fiji-coast.jpg.261fc68c15ea0e00b78f1a016d67111b.jpg

http---cdn_cnn.com-cnnnext-dam-assets-190704082746-01-bay-of-islands-file.jpg.1eb83331a56612b43437eb059b3743f4.jpg

Hi TLC OH, we are also from Columbus.  We will be cruising in 2021 on this same cruise.    Look forward to hearing about your experience.  

31 minutes ago, S17 said:

Hi TLC OH, we are also from Columbus.  We will be cruising in 2021 on this same cruise.    Look forward to hearing about your experience.  

Great to hear from a Central Ohio resident.  We live in Clintonville/North Columbus.  What area in or near Columbus are you from?  I will be doing a live/blog with many pictures and details from this upcoming trip.  Will be happy to share more and answer any and all questions.  Either before, during or after this "adventure".  Glad you are participating on Cruise Critic.  Don't be shy with your questions and info needs. 

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 29,109 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Hi Terry! 

Sorry - I am late to the party, but wanted to make sure you saw Hoopster's review of an Oceania FP-only itinerary.  I included a link below.  He did an amazing job providing advice and tons of details on each island.   I also love that the link photo that appears below is a photo that I took of a dessert pizza on Moorea.  Oh my goodness - so yummy.  If you go to Moorea, make sure you get to Allo Pizza. 

In the photo you shared a few posts above on this page for Moorea - I can provide my personal experience!  I stayed at this resort.  Actually, so did Hoopster.  He details the resort in the first page of the review.   If you look at the right side of the photo, third outward facing bungalow from the end was where we stayed post cruise.  It was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.  Really, every place that I went in FP seemed to take over the 'most beautiful place I have ever seen' title.  For me personally, Bora and Fakarava were my favorites.  

We did Patrick's full day combo tour in Bora.  The details are in the link below.  The second day in Bora, however, my husband and I did our own thing and decided to explore the local environment.  We went for a run to Matira beach, which is a public beach near the tender port.  It was an amazing day.  In Fakarava, we took Ato's tour that Hoopster details in the review.  Hands down the most amazing tour I have ever taken on any cruise or land vacation.  When I close my eyes and picture a beautiful, calming location - it will now and always be Fakarava or Bora Bora. 

I used to live in Sydney and traveled to NZ on a regular basis. 

You are in for such a treat.   Enjoy every moment and let me know if you have any questions! 

Oh, I forgot to mention our flight experience for the return trip. 

We took the 8am Air France flight from PPT-LAX.  Hate to say it again, but Hoopster details that flight in his review (we just happened to be on the same return flight).  He also provides a lot of background on each flight option that was available in 2018.  At that time it was only AF or ATN.  I believe that you can now fly UA to SFO and there is another low cast carrier option (is it something like French Bee?). 

I remember that there were really only two timing options for returning to the US.  You left at around 8am or you left at night on a red eye. 

We were already staying an additionally two days on Moorea and Tahiti post cruise, so the 8am flight was a no-brainer for us.  However, our cruise did return to Papeete at 11pm the night before disembarkation.  We could have easily made a 8am flight that morning (Oceania Air actually provided a charter at 8am).  Just providing some background if you want to return immediately following the cruise and don't want to wait around for the night flight options. 

2 hours ago, S17 said:

We live in New Albany.  Looking at Regatta info, looks like the ship is being refurbished.  Look forward to reading your blog. 

Yes, know New Albany well and it evolution from a small, rural village to a "super city" with many high-end homes, etc.  Know many good friends who live there, etc. 

Correct as to how the Regatta is schedule soon to be completely "re-done" and upgraded with its new interiors and finishing details.  From late last fall being on the Nautica, we did not find any problems with the previous design.  BUT, we understand, like with hotels and cars, that there are younger audiences that desire more "upscale" looks and styles!!  Looking forward to seeing this new design and its implementation.   Let me know any other info needs.  

For latest live/blog, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Connect at:

2 hours ago, delee78 said:

Hi Terry!   Sorry - I am late to the party, but wanted to make sure you saw Hoopster's review of an Oceania FP-only itinerary.  I included a link below.  He did an amazing job providing advice and tons of details on each island.  We did Patrick's full day combo tour in Bora.  The details are in the link below.  The second day in Bora, however, my husband and I did our own thing and decided to explore the local environment.  We went for a run to Matira beach, which is a public beach near the tender port.  It was an amazing day.  I used to live in Sydney and traveled to NZ on a regular basis. You are in for such a treat.   Enjoy every moment and let me know if you have any questions! 

YES!  YES!!  Appreciate, Denise, this wonderful link. Perfect timing.  Such great visuals.  Very exciting and so many super details.  You have shared many excellent options, tips and insights. Have scanned through many of these posts and will go back in later August after returning form our upcoming western Canada-Alaska trip.  The understand pictures are spectacular, including that shark pix!!

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 31,291 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Independent newspaper last year, they had this headline: “FIVE THINGS TO DO IN FIJI FOR ADVENTURE SEEKERS” with these highlights: “With the Duke and Duchess of Sussex paying a 2018 visit to Fiji, the 333 islands are having a moment – despite their far-flung location.  Practically the furthest you can possibly travel from the UK, Fiji is a bit of an effort to get to. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t worth it.  Once there, it’s clear there’s more to Fiji than the aquamarine waters and white sand beaches that have made it a top honeymoon destination. Forget the sunset walks and candlelit dinners: there’s a wealth of opportunities for adventure seekers and adrenaline junkies.”

Sounds exciting.  Here are more story highlights: "If snorkelling through clear waters and spotting the cast of Finding Nemo isn’t exciting enough for you, take things up a notch and go diving with sharks – Fiji is one of the few places in the world that you can do so without a cage.  As beautiful as the Fijian islands are from the ground and as wonderful as the ocean is when you’re submerged in it, there’s nothing like seeing the land and seascapes from the sky.  Jump in a seaplane for a day of island-hopping, where you’ll view turquoise reefs and lush islands from a height of around 1,000ft."

Full story at:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/activity-adventure/fiji-things-to-do-adventure-shark-diving-cave-swimming-zip-lining-a8684151.html

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 46,249 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

Here are just a couple of the visuals used to illustrate the fun options for Fiji from this media profile.:

100391.thumb.jpg.fab4fd5034106146e24989ddb58890a3.jpg

100695.thumb.jpg.d08f91b5cd7d88233999763810bd6ca2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Following and booking the March 15th trip on Regatta!  Thank you, TLCOhio, for starting this great thread.  I so appreciate everyone's great input and reviews.  It's a bit of a bummer to read some of the negative reviews on Regatta, but we have only had super positive experiences on Oceania.  

Thank you!

VeroKaren

• 2 weeks later...

Walts on Water (WOW) eager to hear tips on this South Pacific cruise from Auckland to Tahiti.

Have you found some good flights?  We live near 3 airports in Washington DC metro area.

One thought was to fly to Tahiti, spend a couple of days, to break up flight and fly onto Auckland. Any thoughts?

smc

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2019 at 7:25 PM, Verokaren said:

Following and booking the March 15th trip on Regatta!  Thank you, TLCOhio, for starting this great thread.  I so appreciate everyone's great input and reviews.  It's a bit of a bummer to read some of the negative reviews on Regatta, but we have only had super positive experiences on Oceania.  Thank you!  VeroKaren

Appreciate these great comments and follow-ups. For Karen, don't worry on any negative reviews.  Things can happen during a cruise, but we try to focus for enjoying the positives and success.  Personally, I do not want to get too "distracted" by any slips or challenges.  

As noted below, we just finished early last month our first adventure in Western Canada and Alaska.  Great, fun trip.  NOW, we need to turn the page for our research and planning to do the South Pacific and more in New Zealand.  Lots of books to skim through and research to be considered.  

For waltsonwater from Northern Virginia, I would suggest flying to Hawaii and spending time there as a way to break up those long flights.  We did that, both coming and going, in early 2014 when going to Australia and New Zealand.  Not sure flying initially to Tahiti would be best since our cruise finishes in that scenic location.  Keep it coming!!  Don't be shy.  Great sharing, questions and comments.  

Just completed Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Lots of visuals and details from our first visits to these scenic areas!!  That live/blog is at: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

Or, you could simply do a quick Google search with these terms: 

Live Terry/Ohio Muse Alaska

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2019 at 9:34 AM, Hawaiidan said:

This goes for  Hawaiian  to HNL and Tahiti Nui  LAX.  about 2445.        Not sure of United to SFO

Air France LAX goes at  0800 and is a much better non red  eye choice        You can get business class for the 8 hour flight for around $1900 pp    O, one time offered me  upgrade to Business on Tahiti Nui for $800 pp   You might ask  Even though it is a charter the plane still has Business seats   UAL does too.   Hawaiian  business is a joke on you...  THats my experience

Air france and Tahiti Nui  are code share with DL AA, QA,NZ    it is a small airport,  open air waiting area no AC  for coach. 

Good luck      

Great info. 

Terry - I would love to hear your experience with O air once you return. Thanks in advance!