What to do in Tokyo last day

BermudaMom

We will be ending up in Tokyo early on a Sunday morning from a cruise and research is showing me that most of the flights back to the U.S.east coast cities generally leave late afternoon or early evening. Any suggestions on what can be done that last day as we'll have our luggage with us.  Don't really want to hang around the airport all day but have no idea what we could do.  Would appreciate some advice from others who have done this.  Thanks in advance.

On my first trip to Tokyo I spent five days there and barely scratched the surface of the place but it's one of my favourite places anywhere.

Assuming there's no provision for you to have your bags taken to the airport ahead of you I'd probably head to somewhere such as the main Tokyo Station in Chiyoda City first. There are luggage storing facilities there and that way once done in the city you can collect the bags before taking the Narita Express. 

The Tokyo subway and train system can be a little confusing at first glance but everything is remarkably well signposted, especially at larger stations and getting about isn't nearly as difficult as you might think. You could easily get to say Meiji-Jingu Shrine or go to the iconic Shibuya Crossing, or go up the Skytree or Tokyo Tower if you want to get an idea for the expanse of the Tokyo metro area.  

If you don't fancy tackling the subway then you could walk to the grounds of the Imperial Palace close by the station and window shop in Ginza across to Shiodome and the Hamarikyu Gardens. 

And don't forget travel time to the airport.  If flying out of Narita (NRT), you're a solid 50 miles from downtown.  About a hour or so by taxi, longer by train or bus.  And that's without traffic issues.  So plan accordingly.

As always recommended in this situation, check your cruise line for excursions, that will drop you at the airport. Or look on the Asia ports board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/43-asia/

for private tour vendors who will also drop you at the airport. That way, your bags go with you, but re not "in the way" of you sightseeing.

Assuming you're flying out of Narita and not Haneda, my recommendation would be to go to the airport as soon as possible.  If you can't check your bags, there's inexpensive luggage storage in the airport.

Then take the train (cheap) or a cab (around 3500 Yen) to central Narita and tour the stunning Naritasan temple complex.  It always amazes me that there are thousands, probably millions of passengers passing through NRT annually who are unaware of this world treasure just minutes from the airport.

Tour the temple complex and adjacent lovely old shopping streets, then back to the airport and badda bing.  This is a marvelous way to spend 3-6 hours in Narita.

Street leading to temple -

Naritasan121s.jpg

Temple grounds

061s.jpg

Naritasan038s.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gardyloo said:

Assuming you're flying out of Narita and not Haneda, my recommendation would be to go to the airport as soon as possible.  If you can't check your bags, there's inexpensive luggage storage in the airport.

Then take the train (cheap) or a cab (around 3500 Yen) to central Narita and tour the stunning Naritasan temple complex.  It always amazes me that there are thousands, probably millions of passengers passing through NRT annually who are unaware of this world treasure just minutes from the airport.

Tour the temple complex and adjacent lovely old shopping streets, then back to the airport and badda bing.  This is a marvelous way to spend 3-6 hours in Narita

Excellent suggestion! My love for Tokyo often gets in the way of me suggesting sensible things like this, particularly for first time visitors!