Scenic Eclipse News

@RockyandMoose Thank you for the very thorough and helpful replies! So appreciative of you taking the time on your vacation to provide such wonderful accounts and information.

Another thing I'm curious about is the wifi, specifically if a log in code is provided per person, or per suite — meaning, are you able to be connected on multiple devices (For instance, can one be connected at the same time their traveling companion is also connected on another device?) Or is it one log-in per suite so that one must take turns?

The Wi-Fi is very good on board unless you want to upload photographs which can be a bit problematic depending on where at see you are located at the time you attempt to do so. When you board the ship reception will give you the password which you may use on as many devices as you bring with you without limitation. You do not have to login each time. Once you have use your device your device will remember the login for the balance of the cruise at least.

Stay tune for review of the self serve laundry services which we are using now for the first Time!

• Like 1

Stay tune for review of the self serve laundry services which we are using now for the first Time!

I‘ll be very interested to hear your review of the guest laundry given that is where you suggested passengers wash their person laundry. No doubt it will be the best thing since sliced bread!!!!

2 hours ago, mochuck said:

The self service laundry is a feature I'm quite interested in.

I wish I could enthusiastically endorsed the use of the self-service laundry now that we have had the experience of using it but I cannot do so at this point. The self-service laundry has three washing machines and three dryers all manufactured by  Miele.   The brand itself is well-known and highly regarded but I do not think it is up to the task of being used constantly by guests who are unfamiliar with its operating processes and our experience doing laundry on board the ship was a nightmare. A basic load of wash in this machine is commence by putting the laundry into the machine, closing the door, setting the type of laundry to be washed and pressing a button. Water And soap is automatically added after the machine calculates the weight of the laundry in it and determines how much water should be put into the drum. The typical wash time is 40 minutes which is quite a contrast from the washing machine we use at home which does an express full load of wash in 15 minutes.  The setting options which are digital are difficult to understand, there is no option allowing you to select between temperatures of water or fullness of load. There are bunches of buttons to push and knobs to turn which would probably be easy for someone who owns this equipment in their own home but is far beyond understanding for those of us who have not ever used this brand of washer before. Nonetheless we persevered, set our watches for the 40  minute wash cycle and returned to our room. 

When we return we found that the machine was locked and an error message reflected that there was a problem with the inflow of water. We could not open the door to get our laundry out, we could not tell where in the washing process the program had cut out and so we summoned  scenic personnel who came immediately to our aid. Ultimately the expert in the washer and dryer arrived and how to slide in the roughly 10 inches between the stacked washers and dryer‘s in the wall to a position behind the wall to remove three simple sized filters and clean them because apparently dirt, lint or some other substance from the amount of washing volume being done on a daily basis had clogged the filters prohibiting water from flowing through them into the machine. At the same time other personnel from the plumbing department came and cleaned out the filters for the dryers which were caked with Lint. There are no removable filters for passengers to use or clean out before putting their clothes in to dry. The place where those filters are ordinarily found on the washing machine was screwed into positions so that the filter cover and could not be removed.

We opted to run our clothing through the rinse cycle again which took about 15 minutes and then placed our clothing in the dryer’s. Because none of the three washing machines was in use at the time we were able to use two of the three dryers. The dryers are apparently set internally to turn off when a sensor in the dryer perceives that some item in the dryer is dry. Therefore if you choose to run some very thin or pours fabric material such as underwear by eX officio Along with socks, T-shirts or pajamas,  as soon as the washer detects that the thinnest item is dry the machine shuts off completely. Additionally the machine is prone to shutting off whenever it feels the items in it are dry even if they are still very damp. The typical drying interval is between 10 and 15 minutes but it rarely runs a full cycle before improperly shutting down. We started the washing experience at about 6:35 in the evening expecting to make an 830 dinner. We did not reach the restaurant until a 8:45. What should have lasted about An hour and five minutes for washing and drying ended up taking all of that time – – almost 2 hours. We ultimately through in the proverbial towel, called R Butler and handed him the damn clothing which have not dried despite are standing by the dryers and resetting them every two minutes when they went off and I asked him to take care of it for us which he gladly agreed to do. We do not expect scenic to charge us for the cost of drying the laundry.

Our conclusion is that a slightly more common manufactured series of washers and dryer’s with easy instructions to follow clearly printed and placed on each machine – – machines which are accustomed to frequent use rather than machines designed to be used in a household where they might be used a couple of times a week or so would be a better choice for the ship. Hopefully this will be attended to by the time we next come on board but for those traveling in the next several weeks we would suggest that you Bring sufficient basic clothing items so that you do not have to do laundry on board or be prepared to pay for a laundry service using the pre-printed form which I posted earlier in my postings as a guide to how much you will pay to launder each pair of socks, underwear, shirts, slacks etCetera.

Additionally with only three washing machines and three dryers to potentially serve 200 people, the Launderette is a bit insufficient to meet the need of passengers who, depending on the itinerary, may need to wash certain garments multiple times during the cruise. This especially may be necessary in colder climbs Where layers are the name of the game. The laundry facilities are open 24 hours a day and one has to question  how we would have dealt with this problem how we opted to do laundry as we have been known to do another cruise lines as late as 1 o’clock in the morning and been in the posture of being unable to open the washing machine with a load in progress. Of course we would have called the front desk but I don’t know that the plumber would have appreciated being awakened to come to the laundry room in the middle of the night to squeeze in between the machine on the wall to clear out tiny filters in an effort to restore water in flow.

As we noted early in our postings we tend to look at things and have a clear eye toward understanding the difference between first world and third world problems and this was at best an inconvenience. But a visit to the laundry room itself shows what we believe to be somewhat of a lack of space management and design. That room needs at least for washing machines in it, a  rack from which hangers can be hemmed when you want to hang up shirts as they come out of the dryer or blouses for that matter and accessibility so that you don’t have to find the thinnest plumber on the ship to squeeze in and behind the machines to deal with the problem involving water flow.

For our parts our game plan for our next scenic cruise next year will be to bring enough basics so that we do not have to launder them and to use the ships laundry even though it will cost us Some money so that the laundry master can take care of our other laundry and we can enjoy leisurely Dining and other activities on the ship without having to yo-yo back-and-forth from our state room to the laundry to check the status of our laundry and to assure that the dryer is not shutting off every other minute because it proceeds damp clothes to be bone dry.

Last but not least, to end on a happy note through the excellent extra effort’s of the discovery team on board we will now have the opportunity to take the helicopter tomorrow morning for an early morning tour above our next port and on our first day in Halifax to enjoy the submarine in Halifax!  Can’t wait!

• Like 1

Being from the UK we are familiar with this brand and have it ourselves.  It's one of the "Rolls Royce" brands of white goods and in our experience the most reliable.  We find ourselves in a similar quandary when we use American made laundries on other ships with having to learn the operation as it's very different to what we're used to.  I'm sure that the water filters needed cleaning as they no doubt contained a build up of everything during construction and there was inadequate time to flush everything through.   Hopefully now they will be OK. The point about the filters is very relevant as Scenic will need to institute a routine of cleaning these regularly as they are very efficient at collecting the "fluff".

Enjoy the helicopter and the submarine.

Hi Rocky&Moose, thank you for taking the time to post your comments, they are greatly appreciated. My wife and I are travelling next April in the warmer weather from Buenos Aires to Lisbon. Are there sun lounges for laying outdoors? Is there live music or a DJ of an evening to dance to? Also are people dressing up ie cocktail dresses, jackets for dinner? Thank you in advance. Ray & Roz

Holy Roller, Scenic is promising to put a  compendium into each state room eventually with all the details and intricacies not only of the services on board and the items in the state room for maximum efficiency but also to address such things as the laundry equipment. The problem that I see is that whether or not the washing equipment is the Rolls-Royce of equipment, in the absence of some easy to follow explanations put up at the beginning when people need to use it rather than somewhere down the line in the course of the various itineraries needs to be addressed immediately and should not IMHO Sometime down the line. These things will all shake out eventually but sooner rather than later and the timing of it is so crucial.

sometime down the line. These things will all shake out eventually but sooner rather than later and the timing of it is so crucial. 

R&R Cruiser,  There are some loungers on the 10th floor which are available for lying outside in the sun and the roof over the pool which is surrounded by some loungers on three of its four sides retracts in warmer weather.  

In terms of live music there there is a duo that plays and sings during the cocktail hour and after dinner until around 11:30 in the large lobby lounge.  No DJ and no real dance floor.  If you opt to dance it is in a walkway.  This could change over time due to guest feedback.  We have seen a few, and I mean a FEW gents wearing sports jackets.blazers without ties for dinner but it is rare.  And we have not seen much in the way of cocktail attire.  The dress code is very relaxed as the information you receive with your travel documents stresses.  I did not bring a jacket for dinner and am glad I did not.  I would feel over dressed.  But it really is a matter of personal taste and luggage space!

We enjoyed a morning flight on the eclipse two, scenics second of its two helicopters on board the ship. Originally we had signed up for the submarine but plans for that were scrapped when the tides were too great to allow for safe loading and unloading our passengers from the submarine itself. So we opted for the helicopter experience which originally was either a 20 or 30 minute helicopter ride for a maximum of five passengers and the pilot.  Unfortunately when the helicopter ride was originally to occur The cloud ceiling was so low as to make visibility problematic for the pilot and plans to fly the helicopter that day with passengers were scrapped. However the discovery team on board the yard had no intention of allowing us to be disappointed without making a valiant effort to get things accomplished. They were able to reset the helicopter flights for this morning while we were in Rose Blanche, Newfoundland!  The weather even cooperated.

We were taken on a 20 minute flight along the coast and into the interior areas enjoying the views of a beautiful waterfall, the town, the major landmark which is the lighthouse and of course great shots of the ship both as we departed from the helioport deck and landed on it at the end of the journey.  The helicopter is extremely comfortable and is the most modern helicopter offered by Airbus. Every seat has excellent views And security followed by comfort are the two greatest concerns.   Before embarking we were required to sign release forms and watch a 7 1/2 minute Safety video.  Our pilot was Clay who was terrific!  Though at the outset he cautioned that there might be a few bumps along the way the ride was smooth from start to finish. We had a wonderful time.

Last evening we were informed that special arrangements had also been made by the discovery team so that we could hopefully get our som though at the outset he cautioned that there might be a few bumps along the way the ride was smooth from start to finish. We had a wonderful time.

Last evening we were informed that special arrangements had also been made by the discovery team so that we could hopefully get our Submarine expedition in Halifax tomorrow.  Of course a lot of that depends upon the prevailing winds and seas Both of which are beyond the control of the cruise line and the captain of the submarine so we will have to see what the morning brings.

10 hours ago, RockyandMoose said:

Holy Roller, Scenic is promising to put a  compendium into each state room eventually with all the details and intricacies not only of the services on board and the items in the state room for maximum efficiency but also to address such things as the laundry equipment. The problem that I see is that whether or not the washing equipment is the Rolls-Royce of equipment, in the absence of some easy to follow explanations put up at the beginning when people need to use it rather than somewhere down the line in the course of the various itineraries needs to be addressed immediately and should not IMHO Sometime down the line. These things will all shake out eventually but sooner rather than later and the timing of it is so crucial.

sometime down the line. These things will all shake out eventually but sooner rather than later and the timing of it is so crucial. 

R&R Cruiser,  There are some loungers on the 10th floor which are available for lying outside in the sun and the roof over the pool which is surrounded by some loungers on three of its four sides retracts in warmer weather.  

In terms of live music there there is a duo that plays and sings during the cocktail hour and after dinner until around 11:30 in the large lobby lounge.  No DJ and no real dance floor.  If you opt to dance it is in a walkway.  This could change over time due to guest feedback.  We have seen a few, and I mean a FEW gents wearing sports jackets.blazers without ties for dinner but it is rare.  And we have not seen much in the way of cocktail attire.  The dress code is very relaxed as the information you receive with your travel documents stresses.  I did not bring a jacket for dinner and am glad I did not.  I would feel over dressed.  But it really is a matter of personal taste and luggage space!

Thank you R&M - appreciate the feedback!

Dear RockyandMoose,

I agree with you.  I didn’t mean to imply that one should know how these things work intuitively; in fact the opposite.  We tried to use a US washer and dryer on a Seabourn or Silversea ship and with no instructions it took ages to understand it’s workings.  If Scenic are going to supply a guest “instruction manual“ for such facilities I think we would all be appreciative.

I’m sorry to hear that the helicopter and submarine trips have not run as smoothly as desired but maybe the gods will be kind to you tomorrow.

Thanks again for the excellent reviews of the different facilities.

Dear RockyandMoose,

I’m so pleased that you managed to get your trips in the helicopter and the submarine.  You deserved it.  I also think that all of us on the site as well as Scenic owe you a debt of gratitude for the excellent reviews you have placed during your trip.

A safe onward journey to you both.

First and foremost we thank you for your kind expressions of gratitude for our postings. We have now disembarked the cruise and returned to our home on the West Coast. We thought that some of you would be interested in knowing how our last day went at sea, how disembarkation was coordinated and occurred and we thought we would also share some final thoughts.

Our last day in Halifax could not have been better. Coming on the heels a few days earlier of a gorgeous helicopter adventure, the weather in Halifax was magnificent and therefore afforded us the chance to dive on the scenic Neptune – – the submarine. Due to water conditions around Halifax visibility was limited but we were able to discern sea life on the ocean floor and also signs of a ferry wreckage.  One of the interesting factors was that while the six of us on board the submarine were enjoying it, it was hard to beat the enthusiasm of the captain of the submarine, Antony, Who could not have been more excited about the job he has piloting this vessel. His enthusiasm was contagious. We have no doubt that for those of you sailing in warmer climates the views will be even more spectacular and for those of us who are looking forward to cruising in the Arctic Circle or on the Northwest passage, or even down to Antarctica you and we are in for quite a treat!

The day before disembarkation we received in our stateroom a letter with luggage tags and instructions with regard to the disembarkation procedure. The luggage tags were simple to fill out requiring only your name and cabin number. They were also of a variety that cannot be ripped or torn so there was no risk of them becoming separated from the luggage. We were instructed to put the luggage out in the hallway by 11 in the evening on the last night on the ship.   For those who left their luggage out earlier, the luggage was picked up almost immediately. The next morning disembarkation for the two of us took less than five minutes. We planned to stay in Halifax until late in the afternoon when we were going to fly to Boston on route to Los Angeles with an overnight in Beantown to break up the monotony and pressure of trying To make flight connections.   There can be no doubt that Halifax is a beautiful city, but it is a very inconvenient port of embarkation or disembarkation if you are not a Canadian resident or a resident of one of the northern most states of the United States! 

We opted to secure a hotel room for the day by purchasing a severely discounted hotel room with delayed check in for arrival in the morning I’ve just embarkation rather in the afternoon or evening the day before. This was a convenient place for us to attend to business, to have a place to shower if needed, to relax in comfortable surroundings with comfortable furniture and not have to sit at an airport for four or five hours waiting for a flight. We walked around a bit and had lunch.   Then it was off to the airport.

For those who were using scenic to transfer them to the airport they waited in the lobby lounge until called. For the two of us, as our expanded signature on Cruise Critic reflects, our only experience with disembarkation has been on ships with more the 960 passengers. It can be a long process even if efficiently run. The scenic process, because of the smaller amount of guests , Was like a walk in the park!

There were some things leading up to disembark Haitian which were areas that need improvement on scenic’s  part.   First and foremost was the absence of a computer with an air printer to allow guests to print boarding passes for flights later in the day or flights the next morning while on board. There is a computer in the observation lounge but there is no printer attached to it. In order to get our boarding passes for our flight the next afternoon Kim, the front desk expert who is a real pleasure to deal with ha d a solution.   So I forwarded my email tickets to her email address and she printed them off at the front desk. I don’t know that everybody would feel less comfortable doing that as I did. It seems as though scenic is trying to reduce the amount of paper used on the ship but in this area it is not a huge amount of paper that is used to print out boarding passes and compared to the inconvenience of the guests who are unable to do so while on board, scenic should get a computer printer installed that can be operated wirelessly And is available to the guests.

Additionally some of us are still working albeit part time!   I for one would have appreciated having a computer to print out some of the correspondence I had to deal with while on board the ship pertaining to the office I left at home under the supervision of an associate. 

Additionally restaurant hours were adjusted a little bit to accommodate a scenic enRich program at the citadel.   In our particular situation the maître d’ who advised us of that fact several days before our reservation was to occur on the last night agreed to send a note to my room to remind me of the date and time but never followed up. The issue of following up on commitments made to guests by some of the staff leaves a bit to be desired. We had dinner plans one evening at Lumiere and at the last minute were invited to join others at the chef’s table for dinner that night.  When approached quite literally five minutes before the appointed hour for dinner we notified the employee who contacted us about this of our existing reservation that evening at Lumiere and we’re assured that the maître d’ would be notified. He was not. The next morning I went to Lumiere to book a dinner reservation and it became evident that no one had notified him and that he just assumed that we had failed to show up for our reservation. Lumiere is one of the two venues on the ship that requires reservations because of demand outstripping supply.   I felt badly that he had not been notified or at least he stated that he had not been notified. 

In spite of that he graciously agreed that we could book a reservation for dinner a couple nights later and even offered that I could pre-select the table where I wished to be seated. I opted to request the table adjacent to the window into the kitchen but when my wife and I arrived at the appointed hour on the night of our reservation that table was already occupied by another couple and we were given a choice of two tables at the rear of the restaurant instead. Lumiere has a set dinner menu with wine  and champagne pairings. The table is sparsely set.   No tablecloth is used nor are any kinds of elegant placemats. It is simply a table with silverware stemware a plate or two and a napkin. Every effort was made for service to be elegant but between courses when the table should have been wiped off due to crumbs and flour from the rolls this was not done.

Even when the entrée was presented, eating and then cleared which would have been a logical point in time to wipe off the table and reset it for dessert, no such effort was made. Instead the desserts were presented, no inquiry was made about coffee, tea, and after dinner drink and we were left to eat our dessert. When we were done and waited a few minutes, with no sign of any white person following up with us we simply walked out of the restaurant. What should’ve been a rather elegant evening was a grand disappointment.

We also were witnesses to hearing a couple of guests complain that the menu in the restaurant had changed and that had they known that the menu that they were going to be dining from on the evening we were there was not the same as the menu which they are dined on a few nights earlier, then they would not have made a second reservation this sine there again.  Virtually all of the restaurants on board change menus every 3 or 4 days.   This fact should be made clear to guess who want to book the same Restaurant venue for multiple nights during their cruise.   Our conclusion was that the waitstaff and the maître d’ have some work to do in terms of developing and esprit de corps. We witnessed the maître d’ chastising one of the waitstaff in our presence which was quite uncomfortable. When we indicated to the waiter that we were not going to be drinking alcoholic beverages with our meal the waiter acted surprised and after serving two courses came to us and asked if we  wanted him to hurry up with the service so we could get out more quickly. Apparently he did not realize that many people can enjoy food without having alcohol with every course or at all. Again this is a matter of training and finesse and we are confident that this type of behavior will not be in place when we return to the ship in July. 

We have sailed 25 cruises with a highly regarded cruise line as our extended signature indicates on Cruise Critic.  In those times we have provided additional cash gratuity’s above and beyond the included gratuity is built into the fares to those employees we have encountered who have really instead of themselves and gone the extra mile to a sure that we had a wonderful time. We opted to do that this time with a few crew members with whom we had interacted.   In what is a first in our experience, within hours of our Having provided these extra bonuses to the crew members, we received hand written thank you letters from them of several sentences each which was the most thoughtful gesture that we have ever had in response to gratuities that we have offered.

The two of us have now made it home but the glow of the simply magnificent experience we had on board is one which will last us until our next cruise in July. We have already started contemplating additional bookings. The spirit of adventure, the come Ratterree of the crew and the guests, the ease with which we were encouraged to socialize with people we had never met before and develop a rapport with them resulting in the extension of invitations to visit them in Australia when we are next they The two of us have now made it home but the glow of the simply magnificent experience we had on board is one which will last us until our next cruise in July. We have already started contemplating additional bookings. The spirit of adventure, the camaraderie of the crew and the guests, the ease with which we were encouraged to socialize with people we had never met before and develop a rapport with them resulting in the extension of invitations to visit them in Australia when we are next there... these are byproducts of the cruise that we will never forget and which warm our hearts. And the chance to do things which in our life times we never expected to ever be able to do has resulted in us making memories that will last us our lifetimes.

To all of you waiting to board the ship, I hope that your experience will be as wonderful as ours has been.   What we saw was Wonderful, what we experienced was exhilarating and the friendships with new friends that we developed will be cherished by us. The catalyst for this was the vision of the leadership at scenic.   There will always be room for improvement and this particular crew and these particular owners seem ready, willing and able to adjust to accommodate the requests and needs of the traveling public.

We  hope that others of our fellow Cruise Critic members who board the ship will post their thoughts, observations and experiences on this thread so that we can follow the maturation and refinement of the ocean product offered by scenic. Maybe it doesn’t have to be every day but some regular postings will be appreciated on this end. Thank you all for your kind words.   The two of us hoped to meet each of you on board sometime in the future! 

Edited by RockyandMoose

Thanks so much for all your exhaustive information especially the last one regarding evening attire. Whilst we do not subscribe to ball gowns and tiaras we do like to dress smartly for dinner and to be quite honest do not appreciate it when people pitch up at an expensive restaurant (be it on a cruise ship or not) in trainers, baggy jeans etc as this totally ruins the ambiance and experience. We shall be boarding in a few weeks and will certainly update on our experience 

Dear R&M,

thanks again for the daily brief which has been the most explanatory and open reviews of the Scenic Eclipse to date. 

A director of the Travel Agent that I tend to use was invited on your trip and called me on Friday to give his "spin" on the ship.  I was very pleased to hear that his experience concurred with yours and he didn't try to oversell the current experience.  Like you, he felt that this was more of a "shake down" cruise and that crew were still trying to get to grips with everything on board.  He too, felt that the quality of build was very high as was the quality of the food.  Once the service and logistics are sorted out then this should be one of the finest cruise ships on the oceans.  I shall try to add to this wealth of knowledge next month.

I hope to meet with you on a future cruise and I think I speak for everyone on this site when I say thanks for going the extra mile to help us. 

RockyandMoose thank you so much for allowing us to come along on your journey. I loved your whole attitude to the cruise and not sweating the small stuff. You have made me excited for our Antarctic cruise in February and then Iceland & Greenland in August. I feel a huge relief after waiting years for these cruises and all that went on with the delays and cancellations. Thanks again

Czardas,

We has the same concerns after waiting out repeated setbacks.  But was it worth the wait?!?  Absolutely.  Glen had a vision and he saw to it that it was delivered against enormous and seemingly incessant setbacks.  You can judge for yourself when you go onboard.  Also, interestingly enough, if you were taking the cruise that I think you are taking it starts toward the middle or latter part of July and ends around August 12.  We board the ship Again on July 3 and disembark around July 13 or 14.  We return to the ship on August 13 for the northwest passage cruise.  You may be one between our July sailing and our August sailing!

3 hours ago, RockyandMoose said:

Czardas,

Also, interestingly enough, if you were taking the cruise that I think you are taking it starts toward the middle or latter part of July and ends around August 12.  We board the ship Again on July 3 and disembark around July 13 or 14.  We return to the ship on August 13 for the northwest passage cruise.  You may be one between our July sailing and our August sailing!

RockyandMoose we are booked on the Iceland and Greenland Explorer 4th August to 15th August. Are you sure you board on the 13th?

On 9/12/2019 at 9:40 AM, Carol From California said:

Thanks for sharing the photos! Everything looks great! I have always wanted to try the Dyson hair dryer!  LOL!

I'm surprised that your butler hasn't put away your suitcase for you.  LOL

Rocky and Dave, I just finally caught up on reading, and appreciate your postings.

We were booked on the circumnavigation of Iceland, which was the last cruise to be cancelled prior to the maiden voyage.  It sounds like things are looking up and will certainly be considering a future booking.

My apologies if this has been addressed before, but wondering if there is an additional charge for Lumiere, Chef's table, or any other dining venues?

Bob