Scenic Eclipse News

Thanks goorawin.  This would be an area where cruise line cooperation would help everybody.  Surely they all want mainly the same information, so if there were a central clearing house you could input the info once and then only need to update it for subsequent cruises.  

43 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thanks goorawin.  This would be an area where cruise line cooperation would help everybody.  Surely they all want mainly the same information, so if there were a central clearing house you could input the info once and then only need to update it for subsequent cruises.   

Sadly it does not work that way. Different Company's seem to want different information. The other issue is they require the information to be no older than 90 days which means in most cases you need a new Doctors certificate for every cruise.

11 hours ago, goorawin said:

I'll let you know when we get the final documentation and keep you posted on our experiences.

I'm certainly looking forward to it.

Regarding the medical certificate, any expedition cruise normally require a medical certificate from your Doctor to say that you are fit for the intended cruise. Normally you are sent a hard copy or PDF file of the required form that your Doctor has to complete. That is sent back to the Company and made available to the ships Doctor. In the event of you requiring treatment by the ships Doctor, he then has all your important details on hand, which make sense in a remote location.

However in Scenic's case they insisted on the Doctor doing it all online, which is all very well and good, until the system break down and does not work, as happened with my wife.

After more than 2 hours at the Doctor and many phone calls to Scenic, they were finally able to get online and complete the form. It  certainly was not a good situation to be in and one that should never have occurred.

Even before my wife went to her Doctor I had tried to get Scenic to supply a hard copy, just in case there were problems, but they refused.

However after her experience, they did reluctantly agree to supply a hard copy for my medical examination, fortunately it was not required this time and there were no problems.

So my advise to anyone needing to complete Scenic's medical form is to insist on taking a hard copy just in case. A Doctors time is far too important, to waste trying to get onto an unfamiliar web site that's not even Scenic's, and that may have issues from time to time.

I hope this explains it all to you.

We went on an expedition cruise in 2018 on Silversea to Antarctica. We were not asked to complete any medical forms. 

This is on Scenic's website:

We will supply a Health and Fitness form in your travel wallet. These forms are designed to provide us with instant information if an emergency should arise. These forms will be returned unopened at the completion of the tour. It is not compulsory to fill out these forms but is strongly recommended.

• We strongly recommend a visit to your doctor and dentist prior to your tour.
  • If you are aged 70 or over at the Tour Departure date you must provide us with a doctor’s letter confirming you are fit and healthy enough to take part in the specified tour including reference to the itinerary, destinations and tour departure date.
  • You must advise us of any pre-existing medical conditions that might reasonably be expected to increase your risk of requiring medical attention, affect the normal conduct of the tour and/or the enjoyment of other tour members.
  • You will be required to fill in our Health and Fitness form and hand it to your Tour Director on the tour departure date.

Goorawin we were on the August sailing initially.however we just don't want to be on any maiden cruise so cancelled without problems back in May.We had prebooked a lot of accommodation so we are staying very near the dock in Quebec when the Eclipse sails in.Would like to see a report on what we will miss.,

All the best and enjoy your cruise.

PS We have been on 9 Silversea Expedition voyages and not once had to fill in a medical form.

Edited by drron29

On 6/16/2019 at 2:21 AM, Carol From California said:
  • If you are aged 70 or over at the Tour Departure date you must provide us with a doctor’s letter confirming you are fit and healthy enough to take part in the specified tour including reference to the itinerary, destinations and tour departure date. 

I'm sure Scenic must have changed their policy for the Eclipse.

It still may be age related, but their login site for each passenger will not now accept the medical form not being completed by your Doctor. In fact it looks as though you may not even be issued with documentation until it is completed.

19 hours ago, drron29 said:

Goorawin we were on the August sailing initially.however we just don't want to be on any maiden cruise so cancelled without problems back in May.We had prebooked a lot of accommodation so we are staying very near the dock in Quebec when the Eclipse sails in.Would like to see a report on what we will miss.,

All the best and enjoy your cruise. 

PS We have been on 9 Silversea Expedition voyages and not once had to fill in a medical form.

We may have done the same except we had already booked pre and post cruise touring which would have meant a lot of changes. So we decided to stay booked on the Iceland to Canada section in the hope that it was completed on time and everything on the ship functions OK. And one can only hope that all the staff and crew work together as a team, first up.

We have just completed a Silverseas Expedition cruise on the Cloud. For that we had to complete a medical form, which I do not have a problem with.

Here's hoping that our experience on the Eclipse is as good if not better, than that we had on the Cloud.

• Like 1

Hi Carol,

My wife and I are also booked on that cruise and are very much looking forward to it. We have been booked on the 2019 version of that cruise which was unfortunately canceled. However we agree with you that things are looking very promising especially now that the ship has cleared its ocean trials. And of course it helps that they have named a captain.  We look forward to meeting you on board and are going to also cruise on the eclipse this coming September for the Maritime discoveries cruise  departing out of New York and ending in Halifax. Hoping that that cruise actually takes place we will then post a review online and share any advice or details.

We have several rather practical questions which we are having trouble getting an answer at the moment like what kind of voltage options are available on the ship, whether dry cleaning or pressing would be available for clothing, and whether there will be a cruise director and if so who the cruise director will be.   Of course we also have questions about things like the anticipated connectivity to the Internet and staff available on the ship to help with connectivity issues for those of us who do need to keep in touch with offices and family while away.   We are also curious to know whether or not the submarine will be operational for the our September 2019 cruise.

Thank you for starting this new thread. We hope to have many positive things to share as time goes by. 

We are set to see you all on the Maritime discoveries cruise out of New York City mid September 2019. We had to complete the medical forms online and it did not require a doctor signature. They were completed and submitted with relative ease and took less than five minutes to complete.  Of course this is not a discovery cruise like an arctic or northwest passage sailing so the standards may be different.

2 hours ago, RockyandMoose said:

Hi Carol,

My wife and I are also booked on that cruise and are very much looking forward to it. We have been booked on the 2019 version of that cruise which was unfortunately canceled. However we agree with you that things are looking very promising especially now that the ship has cleared its ocean trials. And of course it helps that they have named a captain.  We look forward to meeting you on board and are going to also cruise on the eclipse this coming September for the Maritime discoveries cruise  departing out of New York and ending in Halifax. Hoping that that cruise actually takes place we will then post a review online and share any advice or details.

We have several rather practical questions which we are having trouble getting an answer at the moment like what kind of voltage options are available on the ship, whether dry cleaning or pressing would be available for clothing, and whether there will be a cruise director and if so who the cruise director will be.   Of course we also have questions about things like the anticipated connectivity to the Internet and staff available on the ship to help with connectivity issues for those of us who do need to keep in touch with offices and family while away.   We are also curious to know whether or not the submarine will be operational for the our September 2019 cruise.

Thank you for starting this new thread. We hope to have many positive things to share as time goes by. 

We also were booked on a 2019 Arctic cruise which we ended up having to cancel like you.  How exciting that you get to cruise this September on the Eclipse.  I saw that itinerary you are on and it looks amazing! 

We were on an expedition cruise last year, on Silversea. There were laundry services on the ship. I would imagine the Eclipse will also have. As far as a cruise director, on Silversea there was an expedition team leader. The same cruise director (Kara Weller) was snagged by Scenic and so she is supposedly going to be the team leader on the Eclipse. She and the entire team were fantastic! Internet will most likely be like other ships. We will have Internet, but the connection may be a little spotty at times. I would think the submarine will be operational on your trip.  

Would love to chat with you off of this forum. My email address is Carol@CarolWolfe.com. Look forward to meeting you on the cruise! 

• 3 weeks later...

Just received this email from Scenic. Looks like it is really going to happen!  😁

One Month to Go, So Much to Discover

We're now just one month away from the inaugural voyage of Scenic Eclipse, the World's First Discovery Yacht. Following the completion of extensive sea trials last month, anticipation is building toward her maiden departure on August 15, 2019.

With a new era of 6-star exploration cruising just over the horizon, we can't wait to welcome our guests on-board and there's still plenty of time for you to join them. We still have a limited number of suites available on selected itineraries throughout the Americas and the Mediterranean, plus two new Caribbean itineraries to reveal. 

To book your suite aboard Scenic Eclipse, contact your Travel Professional or call our dedicated Reservations Team at at (857) 228-5566 today.

10 minutes ago, Carol From California said:

Just received this email from Scenic. Looks like it is really going to happen!  😁

One Month to Go, So Much to Discover

We also received the email and it really gave us the feeling that the cruise was actually happening!

We have already booked flights and hotels for our pre cruise vacation in Chile and Argentina and post cruise in Lisbon so this email is the final piece of the puzzle.

6 minutes ago, TRIPACIAN said:

We also received the email and it really gave us the feeling that the cruise was actually happening!

We have already booked flights and hotels for our pre cruise vacation in Chile and Argentina and post cruise in Lisbon so this email is the final piece of the puzzle.

I looked back at one of your earlier posts and see that you are sailing in April, 2020.  We are not too far behind you, sailing in July, 2020.  Almost time to start looking for flights for ours.  This is all very exciting!

3 hours ago, TRIPACIAN said:

Our cruise is right after yours, Lisbon to Barcelona from April 25 to May 3, 2020. But we haven't received email yet, may be I should contact my TA.  We always receive building progress email from our TA.

A quick update.  Just returned from our Baltic cruise with Seabourn which was excellent.  On board they're great and both the pre- and post-cruise transfers, hotels and communications were good.  We are still expecting to sail on the Scenic Eclipse from Miami to Lima in October.  The revised itinerary is disappointing with the loss of Cuba (thanks to the Trump edict) but it was difficult to find anything else suitable at short notice.  I feel that Scenic were not very helpful with the change but had a rather "take it or leave it" attitude, unlike Silversea.  This spoils the experience somewhat and makes me concerned about Scenic, both in terms of finance and customer focus.  Nevertheless, we have confirmed the booking and will see how it turns out.  With all the turmoil I am not booking another cruise until we return

We went on a river cruise with Scenic a few years ago and they were then and now really bad with customer communication etc.  However their onboard experience was excellent and hence why we have opted to go with them on the Eclipse despite the delay by 1 year.  I'm feeling quite confident now that it will sail and hopefully a great experience will be had by all 🤞.  The outside looks as sleek and magnificent as advertised but just wish we could now get a view of the inside.

BTW we will be on the Cartagena to Lima leg so see you onboard hopefully

3 hours ago, salbags said:

All looking good for launch but I wish they would give us some inside/onboard shots 🤷‍♀️

For your information the latest Scenic update, posted today:

https://www.scenic.com.au/eclipse/diary

Our TA has received the documentation from Scenic for our departure on 15th August, so hopefully we be able to see it tomorrow and make sure everything is in order.

Certainly seems as though it will make this schedule, much to some peoples disbelief.

2 hours ago, drron29 said:

We will be in Quebec to welcome you in.

That sound great, 8AM maybe a bit early though.

I hope you enjoy your time in Quebec, looks an interesting city, so spending a few night there after the cruise.

We received our documentation today. For a comment about it I posted it on the original Eclipse post.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2319745-scenic-eclipse/page/23/

We were booked on the August 15th cruise but bailed when it became the inaugural cruise as we don't like those.Added a couple of nights before the Eclipse arrives to the nights after.hotel has a good view of the dock and river.

Great to see you got your documentation and hopefully they flesh it out a bit before you board.