Lonsdale Quay & Granville Island

Affirmative, Lonsdale Quay & Granville Island are different places. Lonsdale Quay is in North Vancouver, on the north shore of Burrard Inlet, directly opposite the cruise terminal at Canada Place. Take the Seabus across the inlet 10 - 15 mins and the north shore terminal is right at Lonsdale Quay.

Granville Market is in False Creek to the south of downtown. Suggest taking a bus down Burrard Street, then the Aqua Bus over to Granville Island.

• Like 1

You've got the options down OP (though as Heidi noted, Aquabus also serve Granville Island so you have a choice of ferries on that side). But unless you are in town a LONG while, it's pretty redundant visiting both - GI has a much larger food market, many more shops, and more stuff to see in general. Lonsdale is a poor second in scale, though definitely quieter than GI in terms of foot traffic so you can more easily navigate it during the day; if you are visiting on a summer weekend evening they may have live entertainment and food trucks lined up; and if you were visiting Grouse Mountain or Capilano Bridge Lonsdale is a transit hub for public buses to both.

Which of the two would be best for you is dependent on time/date/personal tastes/what else you're doing, but it's hard to imagine anyone would find visiting both of these worthwhile unless they have also got enough time to do all the many other totally different things around the area. Although if all you want to do is shop, both of them plus some time on Robson Street should be your priorities I guess 😉

For me, I love visiting street/farmers markets where I can chat with local folk, eat local, and find unique local items.  I dont like to shop, I love to eat!!...lol 

I wont be visiting Robson street other than to pick up the City passport book that may or may not be worth anything.  But for the few bucks I paid for it, all is good.

On our way out of town on Day 2, we will pay it forward and give the City Pass book to someone we pass by or say hello to and is staying in town longer than we...

The plan is: 

• Drop luggage off at Canada place or use porter genie (probably Canada Place) 
  • 4 hour tour with Best Vancouver Tours (9-1), Friday May 10 - We should see (Gastown, English Bay, Lookout, Granville Island, Stanley Park, the typical attractions etc) 
  • Take train from Waterfront to Airport - hotel will pick us up there 
  • Check in, rest a bit
  • Turn around and go back to airport, take train to waterfront & hop on sea bus to N Vancouver to the Shipyard Market that starts for the season, that day. 
  • Train back (note to self, check to see what time hotel shuttle stops or 24/7) 

Next day: 

• Hop on train, get to Stanley Park 
  • (may or may not do the horse drawn carriage).  Depends on how much we see of the park on our tour the day before 
  • Factory Restaurant for lunch (cant remember the full name of it) or Go Fish or some suggested local place that is a greatest hole in the wall
  • Granville Island 

- Here we do/see/go where ever we want  We have entertainment.com digital membership & City Pass book for discounts. 

Possibly do West Coast Sightseeing Hop on Hop off  OR head to the Cannery area to see the Village OR back to Richmond for some Dim Sum OR check out a few of the Dumplin Trail restaurants

So whatever floats the rest of the groups boat, as my boat is full with the above schedule...LOL 

I think Ive got transportation cost down while in town.  False Creek Ferry we will do a day pass, as we have buy 1 get 1 coupons. So $8 pp for a day pass. Plus I enjoy seeing the city from the water perspective. 

The fares are this?--

Day 1

1 zone $2.50 fare to get from waterfront station cruise stop to airport to be picked up by hotel

Then afternoon:  /2 zone $3.75 fare (if we are going before 6:30 pm which we probably will)

Then back on seabus & train for 1 zone $2.50 (after 6:30) = $8.75 

2nd Day – 1 zone for all lines & sea bus $2.50 per 90 minutes of travel.  

Hope I got the fares right, as it took me a bit to get a grip on the zone stuff. 

-- Next day, pick up rental car at airport and drive to Seattle for the next stop. 

Sound like a plan? 

p.s if we were going to do the suspension bridge we would go to Lynn Canyon vs Capilano. I personally will pass on both. Heights are not my friend 🙂 

1 hour ago, greatestvalue said:

For me, I love visiting street/farmers markets where I can chat with local folk, eat local, and find unique local items.  I dont like to shop, I love to eat!!...lol 

Sound like a plan? 

p.s if we were going to do the suspension bridge we would go to Lynn Canyon vs Capilano. I personally will pass on both. Heights are not my friend 🙂

Your Translink fare info several years out of date (I'm guessing it came from one of the many 'helpful' Vancouver touring websites, that are usually pretty OK at the time they're published but then never updated...) Horses mouth on pricing is translink dot ca but a brief summary - 1 zone now $2.85pp, 2 zone $4.20 (Seniors get discounts, Compass cards give discounts, but with only those indicated trips you're better just paying 'cash' as you go - you can actually tap credit cards now, if they have NFC chips on them, as you enter and leave and it does the calculation for you).

Only thing I'd say Don't Do from them above, given your criteria for enjoying yourself, is the Factory for food (if it's actually The Factory on Granville then it's not a great hole in the wall so much as an aggressively-mediocre-but-dirt-cheap place that no self-respecting foodie would touch with a ten foot pole - the same folks have branches all over Canada now, and despite the gussying-up of the marketing - renaming themselves El Warehouse - fundamentally any menu that everything is the same price on obviously compromises quality and portion size all over the place! It's a cheap way for drunks to line their stomachs before a n9igth of partying hearty basically!!!)

Kudos in flagging Lynn Canyon - but do be aware that the distances you're talking about are not small, delays on transferring between modes of transit add up, and especially an airport hotel with a shuttle is very dependent on that shuttle for the first leg... if it just headed out to YVR, you could have anything from 15ish to 40+ minutes before it is back to take you anywhere. A Day Pass on transit would enable seamless use of local buses near your hotel connecting to SkyTrain etc. - definitely useful if you decide that Steveston is where you want to go as that's bus only down there, which is fine on the way out but if you want to come back you have to pay again to get onto SkyTrain as bus tickets are no longer valid to transfer to any other mode... and if you don't have NFC credit cards, it's a hassle to find exact change in CAD!

• Like 1