Can we use our Telstra phone in Japan

Hi Guys,

Is it better to get a Japanese sim in Japan than use our prepaid Telstra phone. We have about $300 credit on our phones that we can use from overseas but as are going to be there for 1 month, I wonder if thats enough. We get free wi-fi in our hotels and I know theres hot spots but we're mainly going to use the data for maps and translator if needed.

Is it easy to get a sim in Japan and the cost of course. I believe there pretty cheap.

I have googled and searched and theres so many different opinions out there, I thought I'd go to the people who know.

Thanks in advance

Pauline

It comes down to your own needs (in terms of how much you use it), and also where you're going.

In your situation, if the credit would be wasted/not used anyway, I'd go for:

a) wifi

b) credit

For myself, I don't even use any SIM when there and e.g. download maps in advance so they're offline, and just use hotel/other sources (e.g. the Tokyo metro includes free wifi at stations) occasionally.

But you can get cheap SIMS in advance too if you're going to be needing it more intensively.

We are in Tokyo now have a iPhone we use hotel internet to work out what we are doing, maps works when we are outside walking around,comes in hand to find your way around, and when we call back to Australia we use face time and messenger to keep in contact with family. Hasn’t  cost us a cent to us phone that way.

The problem you will have with sim cards is the phone has to be completely unlocked to accept the sim card otherwise it will not recognise it.

I always hire a wifi pack as it is much better value for money and you can charge it up in the morning and take it with you all day for wi-fi. There is pick up at the major airports and drop off as well. Several companies offer this and you just have to search for wifi hire in Japan to find many companies.

You might find it difficult hooking up to wifi hotspots unless it is a hotel opposed to a public place.

We dont bother buying sim or mobile wifi.  Just use wifi in hotels and trains etc.  We did have to phone our hotel yesterday and just used our mobile for the short call.

If you do decide to rent take at look at cruise port navigation website. Owned and operated by heather hopkins Clement who previously was the port lecturer in diamond princess cruises around Japan. 

We use viber to connect with family back home for free.

Pauline,

Telstra works in Japan but you need to turn on International Roaming before you leave. if you can log into your mobile account you can do this yourself, or a Telstra rep at a store can help.

Cheers, Rose 🌹

Edited by Porky55