Single Cabin - Celebration

My single friend stayed in one in 2016. We went and visited it. Was impressed at how large they are for a single person. The bathroom is the same size as all over cabin bathrooms. There was little to no noise and as she is a light sleeper, the noise wasn't enough to disturb her. All the singles are together so should all be the same level of noise.

Enjoy

I had a single inside cabin on Celebration. I cannot remember which cabin. It was a (shop) crew cabin in the Holland America days for Celebration.  I have never had such a noisy and vibrating cabin.  It was even bad in port. At sea it was unbelievable.  The water in the toilet bowl had a wave pattern.  Otherwise a nice cabin. 

Best wishes, Stephen. 

Just spent 4 weeks on Celebration and very disappointed with the new layout and food There are no longer sunbeds on the wings outside Liberties - only very large wicker chairs which meant lots of people used two chairs to sunbathe and many ended up with a pattern across the back of their legs The carvery meat in the Lido was like cardboard - over cooked and often sliced against the grain On Captains night lots of complaints about the beef wellington which was also like cardboard and the bottom of the pastry underdone Prawns were a rarity and the cheese selection abysmal - no extras like celery or walnuts and then blue cheese in the salad section After 9 enjoyable cruises on this ship my 10th was so disappointing and I won't be sailing her again

Pensioncruiser I was on Celebration in Jan 2018 from Dominican Republic and there were sunbeds on both wings deck 6 They only changed it for the winter season 18/19

Sheila - as you are booking Celebration just wanted to warn you of the changes Unfortunately I have not stayed in a single cabin but friends who were on with us in front cabins on deck 1 and 2 had vibration and noise from the anchors dropping when on tender We were midships/aft on deck 7 and also had vibration and not only on the TA but having sailed her many times we knew about this and it does not bother us The whole ship vibrates even when in port

On 5/1/2019 at 9:13 AM, Sheila127 said:

I see that the single cabins are on Deck 2 at the back. Just concerned about noise/vibrations.  Has anyone actually stayed in one of these cabins? and if so did you experience any problems? 

Our daughter had a single cabin on deck 2. Sorry can't remember the number but it was the last cabin next to a crew door. The noise and vibration was horrific especially when the ship docked. The doors and everything else in the cabin rattled. Reception did not help.  They said the the ship was full and they could not move her. Her holiday was ruined due to lack of sleep and we were  also very upset for her. She was in tears.  Tui are well aware that some of these single cabins are unsuitable but continue to put people in them.  The reception team have to deal with complaints about them week after week and they have become immune to the complaints and just brush them aside.  The supplement for single cabins is almost double at times. Solo passengers deserve better.

Solo people are often treated like second class citizens.  I have had many rooms overlooking the bins or carparks.  I have expressed my concerns to Tui as booking a single cabin has cost me an extra £700.  I can accept some noise and vibration but it has to be at an acceptable level. 

I have cruised 4 times on Celebration, my first cruise was on her about 14 years ago. I had cabin 720 which was large and probably the least noisy of them all. I liked the ship but now appreciate a good nights sleep so I have avoided Celebration for several years. The funny thing is I met people who had single occupancy of cabins in better locations but never found out how they managed it.

On 5/10/2019 at 5:16 PM, Sheila127 said:

Solo people are often treated like second class citizens.  I have had many rooms overlooking the bins or carparks.  I have expressed my concerns to Tui as booking a single cabin has cost me an extra £700.  I can accept some noise and vibration but it has to be at an acceptable level. 

These were crew cabins in the Holland America Line days. The noise and vibration was known about then. The corridor narrows noticeably as you approach too. And this costs you an extra ...   

Somewhere I have video of the noise and vibration. 

I would avoid these cabins. I do not know what single occupancy of a twin cabin would cost elsewhere on the ship. 

Best wishes, Stephen. 

On 5/1/2019 at 4:22 PM, SausPud said:

My single friend stayed in one in 2016. We went and visited it. Was impressed at how large they are for a single person. The bathroom is the same size as all over cabin bathrooms. There was little to no noise and as she is a light sleeper, the noise wasn't enough to disturb her. All the singles are together so should all be the same level of noise.

Enjoy

Perhaps your friend had a twin cabin for sole occupancy. 

I wouldn't recommend the single cabins  on Celebration to anyone. Unless they were drunk or deaf they will get very little sleep and no help from reception who are well aware of the terrible noise and vibration in these cabins as people complain about them continually. 

As someone said these cabins were once crew cabins.  Trust Tui to try to make more money out of them by turning them into guest cabins. 

The noisiest single cabins I have had the misfortune to occupy were on Thomson Spirit, one of the ex crew ones and P&O Ventura, one of the new retrofitted ones in what was part of the main bar area.. The Spirit cabin was noise and vibration and the Ventura cabin was loud creaking and squeaking whenever the ship was moving.. Apparently when a similar retrofit was carried out on a Cunard ship they spent some time eliminating the noise before the cabins were put on sale. not just TUI putting profit before passenger comfort!

On 5/23/2019 at 5:30 PM, nancyneptune said:

Perhaps your friend had a twin cabin for sole occupancy. 

I wouldn't recommend the single cabins  on Celebration to anyone. Unless they were drunk or deaf they will get very little sleep and no help from reception who are well aware of the terrible noise and vibration in these cabins as people complain about them continually. 

As someone said these cabins were once crew cabins.  Trust Tui to try to make more money out of them by turning them into guest cabins. 

The cabin was Number 718 on Deck 2. 

Definitely not a twin cabin. I know this as I booked it and visited this cabin. There were no complaints from my friend and no disturbed sleep. 

I can only comment on what the person who stayed in that room reported. 

The vibration is shipwide and only really felt in port rather than at sea.

On 5/28/2019 at 4:29 PM, SausPud said:

The cabin was Number 718 on Deck 2. 

Definitely not a twin cabin. I know this as I booked it and visited this cabin. There were no complaints from my friend and no disturbed sleep. 

I can only comment on what the person who stayed in that room reported. 

The vibration is shipwide and only really felt in port rather than at sea.

718 is ok actually as it's the first single cabin in the passageway.  We had 714 a few years ago when we booked late and it was fine.  My daughter was in the last outside cabin 744.   This cabin should be avoided at all costs. 

We all know the Celebration and the Spirit have vibration issues.  Not a problem for us as we have sailed on both these ships for years and been on most decks,  we love them  ( will miss the Spirit and all the fantastic crew ) but the noise level and vibration in  cabin 744 is totally unacceptable.

Several people we spoke  to had problems with noise and requested a move but as usual reception say the ship is full and there is nothing they can do.  This happens week in week out so reception staff know full well the problems with these cabins but they still continue to use them.

Solo passengers pay a lot of money for their cruise and get the worst location on the ship. They should at least have a decent nights sleep.

On 5/1/2019 at 9:13 AM, Sheila127 said:

I see that the single cabins are on Deck 2 at the back. Just concerned about noise/vibrations.  Has anyone actually stayed in one of these cabins? and if so did you experience any problems? 

Sorry but no experience of a single, ours was a double and we loved the smaller ship atmosphere. If you go to Tui's Cruise planner, no obligation to buy and it will give you all prices and options :-

https://www.tui.co.uk/cruise/?im_id=PPC&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9MK4tcj_3gIVSOh3Ch3AvQGKEAAYASAAEgJNFvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Not sure when/where you're thinking of going but I selected : Jan 5th '20, single cabin, any airport and it did confirm that the singles were on Deck 2 and the difference between Inside and outside cabins was £50 (about £7 per night).

However, better value is to reserve a cabin for a one-off payment of £48. Make a note of the good cabins mentioned above (714 and 718) and also the bad ones and phone 0203 4512682 in office hours. The TUI operator will know exactly which cabins are the quiet ones. Well worth the £48 in my humble opinion.

I would be grateful if you would report back here, to this forum, your experience with this cabin. I would like to try a cruise on Celebration someday but like yourself am a little concerned about the possibility of getting a noisy wobbly cabin.

Thanks......Paul

Hi Sheila 127, I stayed in cabin 722 last year, it could be a bit noisy at times but it didn’t affect sleep.  I didn’t spend much time in the cabin only to sleep and change etc.

I wasn’t used to was a single bed though and was worried I would bang my head on the bedside cabinet in the night so put the cushion in the space between.  

It was my first cruise so can’t compare with others but still had a fantastic time and have booked the Discovery for next year.

By the way I completely agree with you about the unfair increased prices for solo travellers across the travel industry. I get that more often than not a single person is occupying a double space, so less revenue, but in this case it isn’t, plus it’s all inclusive. But if you don’t pay you don’t go!

Have a great time :classic_rolleyes:

20180724_205652.jpg

Edited by SuseaM

Hi SuseaM, Thank you for your comments, very much appreciated. I have actually changed to Cabin 726 which is the one next door. The cabin is bigger and has a double bed.  On the Facebook group for the Celebration, people have stayed in this cabin with little problem. Having paid so much for the cruise just want to ensure I have a reasonable night's sleep so I can enjoy visiting the islands!