Kauai Trolley or Hop on Hop off

lisagro

Have any of you had experience with either the trolley in Kauai or the Hop on Hop off bus? I know that you can take the free trolley from the pier to get to either one, and that the bus is $25 and the trolley is $50. I would like to hear from anyone who has tried either or both about their pros and cons. Thanks very much for your input!

• Like 1

I haven't taken the trolley but have visited all of the sites along its route.  We spend much of January each year in the area of Wailua/Kapaa.  I like the trolley's choice of sites to visit.  They show the culture and tropical beauty of Kauai without making the long drive to the North Shore or the more touristy area around Poipu.

Lydgate Beach Park is a beautiful beach park with walking trails, sheltered and calm swimming beaches, and food trucks.  It is definitely a good hop-on-hop-off stop.  The tour's ancient cultural sites are beautiful and easy to approach on foot.

The pickup point for the tour at Kalapaki is walkable from the ship if you don't want to take the shuttle.

• Like 1

I believe that the Kona trolley is only $2 per person; their website says 'per transfer' so maybe you pay another $2 when you reboard each time, but it would be very difficult to get to a cost of $50!   Here's a link to the website:    https://www.robertshawaii.com/transportation/kona-trolley/

The only problem with the trolley is that it's small and could get crowded, so make sure you leave plenty of time to get back to the pier before boarding time.   I'd have a backup plan - check to see if Uber is available or carry the phone number of a local taxi company.   

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 5/8/2019 at 9:52 PM, Kartgv said:

I believe that the Kona trolley is only $2 per person; their website says 'per transfer' so maybe you pay another $2 when you reboard each time, but it would be very difficult to get to a cost of $50!   Here's a link to the website:    https://www.robertshawaii.com/transportation/kona-trolley/

The only problem with the trolley is that it's small and could get crowded, so make sure you leave plenty of time to get back to the pier before boarding time.   I'd have a backup plan - check to see if Uber is available or carry the phone number of a local taxi company.   

Lisagro is asking about Kauai and I think you're talking about the Big Island of Hawaii.

• 2 weeks later...

My suggestion.  Forget the trolley and rent a car for the day. Enterprise in Kauai will send their driver to get you and you can spend the day going to Waimea Canyon, the Beach at Poipu and just generally touring yourselves for the same price as the trolley (you say $25 or $50 per person).  Sounds outrageously expensive.  Or SUV cost us $42 for the day.  

• 3 months later...
On 5/9/2019 at 12:52 AM, Kartgv said:

Great tip!!!!