Price decrease

Wonder18

Here's OP's dilemma as I see it IMHO: these are neighbors that she has sn ongoing relationship with. So although she can save money and perhaps increase her perks while continuing to socialize with them onboard, only she can decide if that's worth possibly straining her relationship with the group leader 

I don't feel that this issue needs to be a divisive one. It is most likely simply solved. 

Princess works well with groups and has one of the most user friendly programs in the business. I work with them often in this area. 

Most likely, the OP can have her cabin refared on the new promo and still retain her original booking number, and her place in the group. The group prices that were contracted when the group was established are more of a hold by Princess to allow that the prices do not increase, as long as group space has not been recalled by Princess, allowing group members to book at this price even when the public rate has increased. The travel agent who is booking the group can also book the member at the lowest price/best deal going independently, and then move them into the group.

If the promo the guest wants is for new bookings only, it becomes a bit more complicated as it involves a cancel and rebook, risking losing the cabin, if EZ Air is on the reservation this is washed away. Although, still the guest should be able to have the travel agent cancel the booking, rebook at the new promo, and then move the guest into the group. 

As to the group leader wanting the TC credit, I don't see a problem with this, that is a perk of being a group leader and often times there is quite a bit of work involved, in both time and emotional calming. And to be clear, a TC credit is not that great of shakes, it is generally that the 16th berth (bed) is free on 15 paid berths; on rare occasions this is a different ratio. It also calculates based on double occupancy. It also does not include NCF's or taxes and port fees. The actual credit is rather small in exchange for all the work, planning and hand holding involved; many group leaders come away from the experience feeling like it wasn't a good trade off. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for you input and suggestions on this topic.  You all have been a great source of information. I think I understand this booking now. I assumed when we all made our own booking with the travel agent that we were individual bookings and we would be grouped by our booking numbers just like when I have gone before with friends. I misunderstood we were booked as a one entity.

i beleive our transatlantic cruise is divided into five countries that you can board and Princess has assigned so many cabins for each boarding port. Our embarking Port has so many cabins assigned to it and I beleive we have used up most of them.

i also didn't realize I had to go through our group leader to change anything on my booking. Apparently because of the closed group and the lack of space in my category I would have to cancel and rebook causing me to loose the cabin. I would then be put on a guarantee  and have to take whatever cabin is available when Princess assigns them. I have never came across this before. In fact I was shocked.

i have no interest who gets what for booking the cabins I just have never came accross this problem of not being able to take avantages of promotions and price deductions if they occur when booking so far in advance.

We are paying a premium price for this transatlantic cruise. 

I put it out here to get advice on how to handle my booking quietly without causing any trouble within the group.

Edited by cruisinggran
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, terry&mike said:

As to the group leader wanting the TC credit, I don't see a problem with this, that is a perk of being a group leader and often times there is quite a bit of work involved, in both time and emotional calming. And to be clear, a TC credit is not that great of shakes, it is generally that the 16th berth (bed) is free on 15 paid berths; on rare occasions this is a different ratio. It also calculates based on double occupancy. It also does not include NCF's or taxes and port fees. The actual credit is rather small in exchange for all the work, planning and hand holding involved; many group leaders come away from the experience feeling like it wasn't a good trade off. 

I am ok with this as long as things are transparent. I had a sibling go on a cruise several years ago "a friend organized". When it was found out that they had a free cabin, most in the group stopped speaking with that individual. They felt they were misled. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Coral said:

I am ok with this as long as things are transparent. I had a sibling go on a cruise several years ago "a friend organized". When it was found out that they had a free cabin, most in the group stopped speaking with that individual. They felt they were misled. 

That's one way to look at it. Or, you could look at it like at least someone you know got the TC credit, rather than someone you didn't know (ie the agency) getting the TC credit, which happens often. When cruise lines release their sailings, major travel agencies hold group space on many, many sailings. Most major travel companies have thousands of "groups" via group space held, their individual agents book clients on cruises at the current best rate available at the time the client is booking, and then move that client into the group for extra perks for the client. At the same time this agency is building towards their TC credits, which come to the agency after the sailing in the form of additional commission. 

This is how you can sometimes find a better perk or better offer from a company. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, terry&mike said:

That's one way to look at it. Or, you could look at it like at least someone you know got the TC credit, rather than someone you didn't know (ie the agency) getting the TC credit, which happens often. When cruise lines release their sailings, major travel agencies hold group space on many, many sailings. Most major travel companies have thousands of "groups" via group space held, their individual agents book clients on cruises at the current best rate available at the time the client is booking, and then move that client into the group for extra perks for the client. At the same time this agency is building towards their TC credits, which come to the agency after the sailing in the form of additional commission. 

This is how you can sometimes find a better perk or better offer from a company. 

I understand this completely. I still think if a friend was organizing this -they should be transparent. I have a friend who is an agent so I understand groups and how they work.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2019 at 6:01 PM, polmcs said:

Anyone had success doing a refare, but into a lower class cabin without having to cancel/rebook? I’m currently booked into a full suite on a Vancouver to Los Angeles cruise later this year. I booked the suite as I needed 2 further cruise credits to get to elite. 

I just completed the same cruise but in reverse reverse over the weekend and prior to taking the cruise, I took an upsell to a full suite, so I now only need 1 more credit to make elite. All cabins except suites came down in price last week, so by opting for my usual Caribe deck balcony cabin, I’ll save about $1400 for 2 when compared to the suite price on what is just a 3 day cruise.

I’d like to avoid going the cancel/rebook route as I have an EZAir flight associated with the booking and current fares are about 50% higher than when I booked the flexible fare flights.

To answer my own question, yes it is possible to keep the same booking number, FCD and the same EZ Air reservation and to switch to a lower priced stateroom category. I called my TA and they got Princess on the other line and between them, they moved me to my requested BE balcony cabin on the Caribe deck and refare the itinerary. 

I did have to OK all the Visa, smoking, etc. pop ups when going into the booking on Princess for the first time, but all the other information from before was still on the booking and I didn’t have to reaccept the conditions of carriage either. As I’m no longer eligible for Club class dinning, I switched to the late traditional seating, which we prefer any way and that was me done.

On 5/1/2019 at 11:50 AM, Wonder18 said:

Need help please! I booked a mini suite on the Sky Princess  last  November  for February  Today the price of the mini suite has gone down $200 per person Question :would I be able to get the Lower price if I called princess. Cruise is still 300 days away  thanks

Yes.

On 6/3/2019 at 6:38 PM, polmcs said:

To answer my own question, yes it is possible to keep the same booking number, FCD and the same EZ Air reservation and to switch to a lower priced stateroom category. I called my TA and they got Princess on the other line and between them, they moved me to my requested BE balcony cabin on the Caribe deck and refare the itinerary. 

I did have to OK all the Visa, smoking, etc. pop ups when going into the booking on Princess for the first time, but all the other information from before was still on the booking and I didn’t have to reaccept the conditions of carriage either. As I’m no longer eligible for Club class dinning, I switched to the late traditional seating, which we prefer any way and that was me done.

And 2 days later Princess drops the price across all cabins, so I had another quick call to my TA to get a refare for my BE balcony cabin. I did say to her that even the suites had dropped in price this go round and she asked if I wanted my old suite back.  I said that I was happy with my Caribe balcony. Upshot is that the total cabin fare is now $948 including port fees and airfare for 2 compared to $949 for 1 person’s base fare for the original suite (adding port fees and flights adds another $200 to that total), so I’m happy with that for a 3 day cruise. 

Now I just need the PBP to re-appear on my cruise personalizer.