Docking in Auckland

jshli

Our ship docks in Auckland at 6:30 AM. I am trying to figure out what time to make reservations to be picked up at the pier (taking customs into account). We are in no hurry as we are staying downtown in Auckland for a few days after the cruise. I would appreciate any suggestions.

15 minutes ago, jshli said:

Our ship docks in Auckland at 6:30 AM. I am trying to figure out what time to make reservations to be picked up at the pier (taking customs into account). We are in no hurry as we are staying downtown in Auckland for a few days after the cruise. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Given your scenario we would relax onboard and take our time that last morning.  Perhaps arrange for a transfer around 9 or 9:15, of simply walk off the ship and grab a taxi. 

Hank

When we sailed out of Auckland, we were staying at the Hilton, which was right next to the ship.  That morning we walked around before boarding and noticed that the line for taxis for those disembarking was incredibly long - I mean really long!  And it was a really crowded area, hard for the cars to get to.  You may want to arrange private transportation.

Funny, my husband said 9:00 and I said 9:15. We plan on  booking a private transfer. Thank you both for confirming that we were on the right track.

Do either of you remember how long it took to get through customs?

Keep in mind that you must be out of your cabin by 8 and breakfast service closes at 8.  There will be waiting areas but for the most part focus shifts to cleaning the ship & preping for the next guests.  

3 hours ago, jshli said:

depends where you are staying downtown - it may be in walking distance of the pier / port and if that's the case and the weather is fine then it will be a nice walk.

We got off our cruise in Sydney and walked from the pier to our hotel and it was no more than a 20 minute walk

We boarded our recent Solstice cruise in Auckland. We were staying in an apartment on the other side of the wharf from the cruise terminal and, as Beachlover1989 said, the taxi lineup was insane first thing in the morning.

What we tend to do when disembarking a Solstice cruise is to vacate our cabin around 7:45am and go to breakfast in the MDR. We have a leisurely breakfast and by the time we disembark the worst of the rush is over.

There is a left luggage place right on Princes Wharf, in the middle wharf building (Shed 22, I think) so that could be an option if you want to wander around the waterfront area before going to your hotel.

5 hours ago, jshli said:

Funny, my husband said 9:00 and I said 9:15. We plan on  booking a private transfer. Thank you both for confirming that we were on the right track.

Do either of you remember how long it took to get through customs?

It took no time to get through customs.  Once our ships have been cleared (which usually takes about a half hour) we could just walk off.  The Pier is located downtown and some hotels are actually within walking distance while others would need a taxi.  By waiting until 9 (or a bit later) you should miss the busy time when folks are all scrambling to get off at the same time.  Our long term philosophy has been to be among the last to get off any cruise.  While folks are waiting in queues and pushing their way off the ship we are relaxing on deck with a cup of coffee.  Once most have disembarked we simply walk off, grab a taxi (or take a bus) and are on our way.  Auckland is very convenient since the port is right in town.  Even when we want to go directly to the airport there is a local bus stop in front of the port where we  can hop on an inexpensive bus.  

One other thing.  Since you are staying at a local hotel there is no reason to rush off the ship.  You will unlikely not be able to get to your hotel room in the morning (although you can leave your luggage with your hotel's staff) and there really is not a lot to do and see early in the morning...unless you get your kicks watching rush hour :).  Many cruisers seem to love to "hurry up and wait" but some of us like to slow down and relax :).   In fact, you might want to ask at the ship's Guest Relations desk how late you are permitted to stay on the ship.  Unlike the USA they do not have to "zero out" the vessel so it might be OK to stay aboard until later in the morning.    And if you have never been to NZ....it is a very friendly laid back country!   In Auckland you can even kill some time by jumping off a building and falling about 600 feet  (it is called the Skyjump).   Just head for the tallest building in town :).

Hank

17 hours ago, farmermd said:

The Auckland port is a cluster-duck! I suggest you walk out of the port and across the street to a hotel and grab a taxi. It will save you a lot of time and headache. 

It certainly is! Cluster-duck is an understatement. We ended a Solstice cruise in Auckland back in January 2017, had booked the Rydges hotel (don't recommend, btw.) The taxi line was insane and the entrance to the port was gridlock. We wheeled our luggage uphill to the hotel, not an experience I wish to repeat.

We highly recommend taking the Ferry over to Waiheke Island and doing the HoHo bus around the island. Great wineries, lovely restaurants and beautiful scenery.

• Like 1