What's up with luggage tags?

Scootoir

DH and I will be on our first cruise this summer and I have read references to luggage tags and special holders for them.  As I understand it the Cruise Line will put tags on our luggage to get the bags to our room.  We are sailing with Viking Ocean and our room will be available when we land and Viking transports us from the airport.  May we take our bags to our cabin ourselves?  If not do we need special holders to protect the luggage tags?  We travel light with rolling carry-on sized bags and a smaller bag that stacks (each).

29 minutes ago, Scootoir said:

DH and I will be on our first cruise this summer and I have read references to luggage tags and special holders for them.  As I understand it the Cruise Line will put tags on our luggage to get the bags to our room.  We are sailing with Viking Ocean and our room will be available when we land and Viking transports us from the airport.  May we take our bags to our cabin ourselves?  If not do we need special holders to protect the luggage tags?  We travel light with rolling carry-on sized bags and a smaller bag that stacks (each).

Since this is your first cruise, you may not have considered that the somewhat confined spaces on a cruise ship are not particularly suited to numerous people carting around multiple roll-aboards on embarkation day. Expect some angry looks if/when you roll over people's feet.

Some cruise lines mail out true luggage tags (same as what airlines put on checked bags). Put them on when you arrive at the port and transfer them to the porter. It's that easy.

For cruise lines that "cut corners,"' you'll have to download the tags and print them. If you use regular printer paper for that (instead of the specialized "tag" material), you will need to protect them by lamination or tag holders, etc.

• Like 1

I am glad I posted this.  These are all things I did not know--thank you!  We expect to arrive at the ship around dinner time, perhaps we'll put clean shirts in our carry-on so we don't have to wear the same clothes we flew overnight in to dinner.  We can take our own carry-ons to the cabin ourselves can't we?

You can take your carry-ons on board by yourself - mine has things like meds, electronics etc in it.

In all probability you will have your "checked" bags outside your room by late afternoon, so you shouldnt need fresh clothing for dinner in your carry on.

If you print your own tags, you can just put a layer of clear tape over them to make them last long enough. 

Or Amazon has nice tag holders for a few bucks.  They are plastic pouches for the tags with a wire loop to attach.  Nice when you fly in, as you can carry the tags in the pouches, and then easily attach after you get to your destination.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Scootoir said:

Your cruise package from Viking will arrive about 3 weeks before departure, direct from Viking if you booked with them, or from your TA.

Come over to the Viking Ocean Board, where you will get responses from many seasoned VO cruisers.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/689-viking-ocean/

Cruise ships (and many port) follow a security protocol similar to what is done with the airlines.  This is done to protect the cruisers (and others aboard).  As a general rule you cannot carry luggage into the cruise terminal that is too large to go through the x-ray scanners used for carry-on.  Larger luggage must be turned over to the porters and will be screened by either the port or when it comes onboard the ship.  

As to luggage tags, each cruise line has their own policy.  The norm is that you can print out your luggage tags by going to the online site of your cruise line and pulling up your reservations.  But if you do arrive at a port without luggage tags it is not a big deal as you can have the porters (outside the terminal) tag your luggage.  Just keep an eye on those folks and make sure they put the proper cabin number on your tag.

Personally, we just print-out the luggage tags online.  Most cruise lines have software that gives you a print out of a tag which you then fold (which gives it strength) and can later staple or tape it onto your luggage.  There are still a few lines (such as Celebrity) who will mail you luggage tags (sometimes this must be requested).

Hank 

OP, I don't know anything about Viking Ocean, but if the luggage scanners at their terminals are anything like the ones used at terminals for other lines like Carnival etc., they easily fit the most common sizes of luggage. Even the large ones (e.g. 28 in.). Using luggage tag sleeves is entirely up to you. I used to cover our tags with clear packing tape, but that's a bit of a pain, so we bought some sleeves from Amazon. Most of them come in multi-packs and are fairly cheap. To us, they're worth it.

On 5/1/2019 at 7:01 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

For cruise lines that "cut corners,"' you'll have to download the tags and print them.

Cruise lines who have passengers print their own luggage tags are "cutting corners." I've read a lot of talk about nickel & diming, but this is new. Let's take Carnival, for example. They currently have 26 ships in their fleet. Thousands of people per ship. Around 5 million passengers sail Carnival every year. Having those passengers print out their own luggage tags isn't cutting corners, it's operational efficiency. Sure it saves them money, but mailing out multiple luggage tags to 5 million people every single year just isn't a good way to go about doing it.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 5:01 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Since this is your first cruise, you may not have considered that the somewhat confined spaces on a cruise ship are not particularly suited to numerous people carting around multiple roll-aboards on embarkation day. Expect some angry looks if/when you roll over people's feet.

Some cruise lines mail out true luggage tags (same as what airlines put on checked bags). Put them on when you arrive at the port and transfer them to the porter. It's that easy.

For cruise lines that "cut corners,"' you'll have to download the tags and print them. If you use regular printer paper for that (instead of the specialized "tag" material), you will need to protect them by lamination or tag holders, etc.

Thank you, we are not aware of how confined the spaces will be.  This makes so much sense.

2 hours ago, Scootoir said:

Thank you, we are not aware of how confined the spaces will be.  This makes so much sense.

You mentioned that your rooms will be ready when you get on board, is that correct? If so, then don't worry about what others think if you decide to carry on your own luggage. Plenty of people do it all the time. You can take it straight to your room and won't have to worry about it. I can only speak for Carnival cruises, but the biggest hassle on embarkation day is having to take any luggage, even if it's just a carry-on, to lunch with you when you get on board. Their cabins aren't ready until around 1:00-1:30 and the only way you can get immediate access to your cabin is by being Platinum or Diamond level, or purchasing their Faster To The Fun package. Everyone else has to wait. The Lido buffet gets real crowded once they start boarding general passengers, so anyone who can't go to their cabin right away, and has any carry-ons, has to navigate the crowds with their bags. Other than that, yeah there are small spaces, narrow corridors & hallways, things like that, but it's not like I'm trying to plow everyone over with my luggage. If you're thinking of taking yours on yourself and can go to your cabin right away, it shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Scootoir said:

Scootair - as per my previous post, suggest you come over to the Viking Board, where you will get responses to questions from experienced Viking Ocean cruisers. Many responses on this thread are generic and based on Mainstream Lines.

Viking has no loyalty levels, early boarding packages, has lots of space to relax and you might even receive luggage tags in your documents package that is mailed from Viking..

Cabins are available based on your cabin category and will be included in your cruise documents. You can normally drop luggage in the cabin before they are available, but if not, there is lots of space throughout the ship.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SRF said:

It is a vacation?  Why work as a porter when their are porters?????

Everyone handles their own vacations differently. Some prefer to handle their own luggage when they know they can go straight to their cabin and not have to worry about when it'll arrive when checked. I don't know how long that typically takes on Viking, but on Carnival, you can be waiting a few hours for your checked bags.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SRF said:

It is a vacation?  Why work as a porter when their are porters?????

Wow SRF, lighten up.  If you read the original post you would see I said this was our first cruise, how would I know there are porters at embarkation?  

• Like 3

My past experience and the reason why I immediately bought luggage tag holders on Amazon:

The cruise line printed out luggage tags and tied them onto our two suitcases. Paper tags, pretty similar to what the airports use, but the name and room number was hand-written. After we got back from dinner one of our two suitcases was waiting for us in the hallway in front of our room, but the second suitcase never arrived. We went to guest services and were taken to the unclaimed luggage area and after about 15 minutes of looking found our suitcase. At some point the paper tag had gotten ripped so they didn't know where to deliver it. 

After that cruise I immediately bought these: https://amzn.to/2LlLzaq Each cruise line does slightly different sized luggage tags, so those are specific for Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. They also have versions for the other companies. I'm not sure what style Viking uses offhand.

Most of my friends and family didn't bother getting the holders and have never had an issue, but since we only sail Royal Caribbean, the one time $7 investment was well worth the peace of mind for me. If you do get holders, just make sure to get the metal loops. They work a lot better than the ones with the string

16 hours ago, Scootoir said:

Wow SRF, lighten up.  If you read the original post you would see I said this was our first cruise, how would I know there are porters at embarkation?  

I am JOKING about it. 😄

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, awestover89 said:

My past experience and the reason why I immediately bought luggage tag holders on Amazon:

The cruise line printed out luggage tags and tied them onto our two suitcases. Paper tags, pretty similar to what the airports use, but the name and room number was hand-written. After we got back from dinner one of our two suitcases was waiting for us in the hallway in front of our room, but the second suitcase never arrived. We went to guest services and were taken to the unclaimed luggage area and after about 15 minutes of looking found our suitcase. At some point the paper tag had gotten ripped so they didn't know where to deliver it. 

After that cruise I immediately bought these: https://amzn.to/2LlLzaq Each cruise line does slightly different sized luggage tags, so those are specific for Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. They also have versions for the other companies. I'm not sure what style Viking uses offhand.

Most of my friends and family didn't bother getting the holders and have never had an issue, but since we only sail Royal Caribbean, the one time $7 investment was well worth the peace of mind for me. If you do get holders, just make sure to get the metal loops. They work a lot better than the ones with the string

Thanks, I will order the holders if I can find out the dimensions of Viking's tags.  I've checked for the chat option on their website a couple times today and it was not available.  I'll keep trying.

23 hours ago, Scootoir said:

Thanks, I will order the holders if I can find out the dimensions of Viking's tags.  I've checked for the chat option on their website a couple times today and it was not available.  I'll keep trying.

You can actually search Amazon for Viking specific luggage tags.  

I've not sailed on Viking Ocean either, but if it's similar to others, when you arrive at the port, it will seem like chaos.  Fortunately, it is usually controlled chaos...these folks have done these things a million times.  But you'll want to have your luggage tags on in advance.  I find that my stress level drops the moment the porter comes and politely takes my pre-tagged luggage away...usually very quickly.  I've never had to wait for more than 60 seconds for a porter to appear.  Be ready to tip them a few bucks.

Usually they will ask, but I will tell you also:  be sure to NOT leave you passports, boarding documents, important meds in a bag the porter takes away.  It's really tough to check in for the cruise without them!  But letting the porter lighten your load is really nice.  Your bags will show up by your room a few hours later.  Yes, you can pack a change of clothes to bring on with you...but it's worth noting that the first night on ships tends to be more casual, because not everyone gets their bags prior to their dinner time.  Viking, a more premium line, may be different.

Enjoy your first cruise!  Nothing beats cruising!!!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, rmurray847 said:

You can actually search Amazon for Viking specific luggage tags.  

I've not sailed on Viking Ocean either, but if it's similar to others, when you arrive at the port, it will seem like chaos.  Fortunately, it is usually controlled chaos...these folks have done these things a million times.  But you'll want to have your luggage tags on in advance.  I find that my stress level drops the moment the porter comes and politely takes my pre-tagged luggage away...usually very quickly.  I've never had to wait for more than 60 seconds for a porter to appear.  Be ready to tip them a few bucks.

Usually they will ask, but I will tell you also:  be sure to NOT leave you passports, boarding documents, important meds in a bag the porter takes away.  It's really tough to check in for the cruise without them!  But letting the porter lighten your load is really nice.  Your bags will show up by your room a few hours later.  Yes, you can pack a change of clothes to bring on with you...but it's worth noting that the first night on ships tends to be more casual, because not everyone gets their bags prior to their dinner time.  Viking, a more premium line, may be different.

Enjoy your first cruise!  Nothing beats cruising!!!

I did not have luck finding holders for Viking tags on Amazon but will search again.  Good to know to have some cash ready for the porter, we planned to get some Norwegian Krone before leaving home.  Thanks for the warning about controlled chaos, we'll be ready and we always have passports and other docs with us as well as a photo of same on our phones.

Murray847, of all the cruises in your signature which itinerary did you most enjoy and which ship was your favorite?

Edited by Scootoir

On 5/1/2019 at 8:02 PM, 1025cruise said:

Not sure about Viking, but keep in mind the bags need to fit through a scanner, like at the airport. If it doesn't fit, it needs to be checked.

Cruise port scanners are not necessarily as restricted in size as airport scanners. When I carry wine onboard Queen Mary 2 the wine carrier fits through the scanner with the bottles standing up.

17 hours ago, Scootoir said:

Murray847, of all the cruises in your signature which itinerary did you most enjoy and which ship was your favorite?

Oh my, that's a REALLY tough (maybe impossible) question.  We've enjoyed all our cruises for various reasons.  Some because the ports were so great.  Some because the ship was awesome.  Usually some combination of the 2.  If forced to decide, the ones we reminisce about the most involve Europe.  Those were all just full of amazing sights and experiences.  Our Caribbean cruises were fun too...but we're not so strongly "beach" people, so, for example, we were blown away by ALLURE OF THE SEAS as a great ship to have fun on, no matter than ports.  And even our Pacific Coast Cruise was great...it was very relaxing and low stress.  Everyone spoke English, our phones worked, commerce was easy and the places we visited were sensational.  I think we'd have to work hard to dislike a cruise.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2019 at 8:01 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

This is baloney.

The "corner cutting" paper tags don't need any specialized protection at all.  

If you take a sheet of printer paper and fold it in half repeatedly until it is two inches wide, you'll see exactly how difficult it would be to tear that strip in half.  Folded paper is STRONG paper.  

That I see fail most often is the STAPLE that is used to affix the tag.  I always staple CLOSE TO THE HANDLE on two sides, plus the far end of the tag.  I also put two tags on each bag -- one on the end handle, and one on the side handle.  

Stapling near the handle of the bag means that the open loop part isn't large.  If you just staple the end, you have a big open loop that is more likely to get caught on other bags or grabbing hands and tear off completely.  If you staple it near the handle of the bag, then the tag part is more of a flat flap that can't catch on anything, instead of a big circular loop.  

• Like 1