Tipping in Italy ports of call

DENIE

1 hour ago, Truluv said:

Just verifying - does the "no tipping" policy also apply to hotel maids?  Or hotel concierage?  Is tipping EVER expected - if so, under what circumstances?

Applies to them too!  They are Service Industry Professionals and do not require tipping!  This includes barmen/bar staff.

Only time we tip is in a restaurant for very good service/food when we will round up a couple (1,2 or 3 max) of euro for a meal up to €40 or so and maybe, maybe $5 for a very good meal with matching service if the bill come to €50 or €60.

Taxis - just round up.

P.S.  we feel absolutely no guilt in doing this and you should feel the same when here.

1 hour ago, Truluv said:

our prepaid hotel confirmation in Rome mentioned an 8 Euro tax per night that will be collected during our stay as an add-on.  Can this tax be paid by credit card?  Does it count as a VAT tax if planning to apply for a refund? 

it is 'City Tax' and is not VAT therefore it is not subject to refund.

Unless you are staying in a very small hotel, then they will take credit cards.  Easiest way to check is to read your booking confirmation and if it mentions that a credit card needs to be presented at check in to guarantee any additional charges, then they will most certainly take a credit card for the charge.  Note that Visa/Mastercard are ok, but American Express is not widely accepted (except in large hotels!).

• 4 months later...

I really appreciate this tread. My husband is a restaurant server & relies on tips so he is a big tipper & we are going to Rome and cruising the Med in 2021.  I'm a bit relieved as I'm trying to plan a budget & it's interesting to hear Europeans feel almost insulted by our over tipping. It's such a part of our culture. So glad for these other points of view!

• Like 2

On 1/2/2020 at 9:24 PM, Jax129 said:

I really appreciate this tread. My husband is a restaurant server & relies on tips so he is a big tipper & we are going to Rome and cruising the Med in 2021.  I'm a bit relieved as I'm trying to plan a budget & it's interesting to hear Europeans feel almost insulted by our over tipping. It's such a part of our culture. So glad for these other points of view!

Glad you found the info helpful Jax. Before I went to college I worked for tips as well and ever since, I tip well; only because I know that life and it is what it is. But when I traveled, I feel responsible to do my best to respect the culture of wherever I am visiting, even if it's not so easy...and it isn't always, though it's not a big deal. Especially if we have the information ahead of time and can plan. 

Enjoy this part of the process, it's exciting and before you know it, you'll be on your way. 🙂 

I notice the website info for airport transfers in Rome states the following. It makes it seem like a gratuity is expected.  I am confused. 

Your quoted fare includes a private deluxe vehicle with a professional chauffeur licensed by the municipality of Rome, fuel cost (which runs approximately 20% of the fare) applicable tolls, insurance, airport parking fees, Italy’s 23% VAT tax. Gratuity is not included.”

2 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

I notice the website info for airport transfers in Rome states the following. It makes it seem like a gratuity is expected.  I am confused. 

Your quoted fare includes a private deluxe vehicle with a professional chauffeur licensed by the municipality of Rome, fuel cost (which runs approximately 20% of the fare) applicable tolls, insurance, airport parking fees, Italy’s 23% VAT tax. Gratuity is not included.”

The English language is a wonderful weapon! Gratuity is not included means exactly that - it is not included. Why is it not included - because it is not necessary. 

As mentioned previously in the thread, if you get exceptional service then feel free to tip a small amount. If the service is not exceptional then no tip is required or expected.

Edited by VMax1700
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

You are quoting from an English language web site (with no option for the Italian language) with a .com address (not .uk or .au or .it), the target audience is Americans and they are speaking "American" more than English.   It feels comfortable to Americans, and don't we all want to do business with individuals and companies that feel comfortable?

There are lots of professional drivers in Italy, but only a small percent of them are fluent in English, outgoing and comfortable chatting up strangers for hours a day.  All of the car service companies that target the American business are competing for the services of this small percentage of drivers and one way to do that is to promise them that the company will do what it can to get Americans to tip.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/2/2020 at 9:24 PM, Jax129 said:

I waited tables many years ago and what brought the hourly wage down was that the government assumed the waiter was making at least 7% in tips off of the amount of sales for the night. So, if I served $100 of food/beverages to a table the government would assume I made at least $7 in tips from that table and I was taxed on that in my paycheck from the restaurant.  Is that the case now?  Just curious...

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 3:00 PM, Despegue said:

These websites are basically scamming US citizens in making them believe that a tip is necessary.

IT IS NOT.

Totally agree no need to tip in Europe or Italy :Proper wages are paid, not the US slave rates which rely on tipping, the whole process of this is  not required in 21st century Europe. 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Not the first time I see posts on this forum about tipping - to tip or not to tip :). I personally think the European model is much better than the one we are used to in the US, it always gives you a choice - if you like the service, you can always give some extra coins, but this is not a must.  

I have been to Italy not just once, and I have never noticed anyone got insulted when I left 1-2 euros extra for a dinner, but on the other hand it was always clear they never made a big deal of it, I am pretty sure the service would have been same even if I just 'd paid my bill and that's it.