Saga Christmas

VK3DQ

Hi Folks

I have been considering a cruise on one of Sag's new ships and this cruise for Christmas 2020/21 would fit the bill... any thoughts

https://travel.saga.co.uk/cruises/ocean/where-we-go/canaries-cruises/canary-island-christmas.aspx?availability=2&duration=1-999&startdate=01/01/2020&enddate=31/12/2020&boardbasis=AI

Comments most welcome

Regards

John

The Brits want to escape the cold and go somewhere warm that time of year, so this makes sense for them. However, most of the destinations are more resort style places - think Hamilton Island - where you're only there for a day, hence why it's not a typical cruise focus destination. 

Is that what you're looking for? 

Just seems a long way to go for a cruise with almost half sea days, on a small ship so less entertainment, and without standout destinations. Makes sense if you lived there, but not something I'd be looking at as a trip from here.

15 hours ago, VK3DQ said:

Hi Folks

I have been considering a cruise on one of Sag's new ships and this cruise for Christmas 2020/21 would fit the bill... any thoughts

https://travel.saga.co.uk/cruises/ocean/where-we-go/canaries-cruises/canary-island-christmas.aspx?availability=2&duration=1-999&startdate=01/01/2020&enddate=31/12/2020&boardbasis=AI

Comments most welcome

Regards

John

I recently looked at a Saga cruise.  They have a new small ship and have some interesting itineraries.  They only take bookings through an Australian TA.  When I book overseas travel, I like to book direct.  In the end, I chose Noble Caledonian because I could make enquiries and book direct.  

Later - Sounds a fabulous cruise, visiting five islands, as well as Lisbon - my favourite kind of cruise.  Would be a memorable Christmas!

Edited by MMDown Under

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I recently looked at a Saga cruise.  They have a new small ship and have some interesting itineraries.  They only take bookings through an Australian TA.  When I book overseas travel, I like to book direct.  In the end, I chose Noble Caledonian because I could make enquiries and book direct.  

Later - Sounds a fabulous cruise, visiting five islands, as well as Lisbon - my favourite kind of cruise.  Would be a memorable Christmas!

Agreed, I would go to Lisbon again just for the Tarts

Certainly they have more than resorts like almost everywhere, hadn't been said otherwise. But that's what people primarily visit them for; the island vacation. And there are a lot closer islands to visit, or if you're going so far away, more unique things that could be visited.

15 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

The Brits want to escape the cold and go somewhere warm that time of year, so this makes sense for them. However, most of the destinations are more resort style places - think Hamilton Island - where you're only there for a day, hence why it's not a typical cruise focus destination. 

Is that what you're looking for? 

Just seems a long way to go for a cruise with almost half sea days, on a small ship so less entertainment, and without standout destinations. Makes sense if you lived there, but not something I'd be looking at as a trip from here.

Unfortunately, we have very few modern small ships which visit exotic islands from here.  I enjoyed my cruise which visited Madeira and Tenerife. 

9 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Unfortunately, we have very few modern small ships which visit exotic islands from here.  I enjoyed my cruise which visited Madeira and Tenerife. 

I can see the appeal if you were already based there, especially wanting a break from the cold.

Just seems a long way to go from here, especially at that time of year when it's already warm here, and there are many island cruises if that's what you're looking for.

You can't take your money with you so why not enjoy it while your here.

If you can easily afford it I say go for it.

The nativity scences upon research sound like the best in the world with all the towns and villages having them in many places. The businesses and town people seem to have gotten right behind this with some of them making very detailed models of entire villages showing poeple in all aspects of daily life.

I even saw a photo of the three wise men carved out of sand on one of the beaches.

It sounds like the Christmas concert which has been been held for the last ten years is growing in popularity and is now attracting international artists. I did find one photo of it and its looks very professional with a big video screen at the back of the stage.

It seems like Christmas is a big thing in the Canary Islands and seems to be working to draw in the Europeans for a sunny warm Xmas.

John if you do go on this cruise come back and share some photos of the Christmas festivities on the islands. I would love to see them.

42 minutes ago, sewgood said:

You can't take your money with you so why not enjoy it while your here.

If you can easily afford it I say go for it.

The nativity scences upon research sound like the best in the world with all the towns and villages having them in many places. The businesses and town people seem to have gotten right behind this with some of them making very detailed models of entire villages showing poeple in all aspects of daily life.

I even saw a photo of the three wise men carved out of sand on one of the beaches.

It sounds like the Christmas concert which has been been held for the last ten years is growing in popularity and is now attracting international artists. I did find one photo of it and its looks very professional with a big video screen at the back of the stage.

It seems like Christmas is a big thing in the Canary Islands and seems to be working to draw in the Europeans for a sunny warm Xmas.

John if you do go on this cruise come back and share some photos of the Christmas festivities on the islands. I would love to see them.

Hi

Oh yes if I went on this I would certainly send you lots of pictures ,, If you recall I was scheduled to to a trip to Madeira for our 50th wedding last year but was taken ill and ended up in hospital and we took a couple of local cruises to make up for this as I was not well enough to go to Europe

It a long term wish to return to Madeira its about 55 years since I was last there, I'm torn between a cruise or staying on the Island for a couple of weeks . In the old days you could get  a cruise  from STON to Funchal and stay and catch a later one back having 2 or 3 weeks on the Island , this was of course before the airport opened  around 1964 I think  (Bergen Line operated Venus on this service)

venus.jpg

Saga is for the over 50's and is no kids this is what I want ,and they have two new ships with all the bells and whistles that suit that age group so I think they would suit us , the Christmas cruise has an overnight in Funchal for the fireworks for New Year  and of course all of the Islands and very spectacular in regards to Christmas celebrations  both secular and religious.

I could fly for a lot less than the cruise , however I will not do long haul flights in economy so its not all that cheaper to fly and stay somewhere very nice or fly and take the cruise 

I am very tempted but would like to see Saga's offerings for March and September 2021 where I suspect I might get a similar cruise for a lot less than the Christmas one

The Cruise also calls in Lisbon which would allow me to visit the Amalia Rodrigues museum  http://amaliarodrigues.pt  which has been on my wish list for some time

It does cover a lot of bases , a quick trip to the UK  and some of my favorite Atlantic Islands , I expect it to be my last trip to Europe due to slowly declining health if I dont do it soon it wont be possible ... (sigh)

But rest assured whatever happens I will report back to Cruse Critic 

Best Regards

John

John I supect you might be right about getting a cruise in March or September for a cheaper price.

I would think that like here you pay a premium for Xmas cruises.

When I had some serious health issues years ago I was so glad that in my younger years I had done a fair bit of overseas travel. I realised how lucky I had been. I didn't regret spending the money on what others would see as a luxury. Nobody can take away those memories.

• 4 weeks later...

One thing regarding prices on Saga, they offer a 35% discount on the cabin price initially and as cabins in a certain grade sell then the discount reduces in 5% stages.

So theoretically the sooner you book the cheaper the price. 

We are looking forward to the release of the 2021 itineraries. We have put down an advance deposit of £90 each which will entitle us to a further 5% of the initial prices.