Cruise Critic Community
Stickman1990

Live : Accents on the Orient – Crystal Symphony Hong Kong to Tokyo 9-26 May 2019

On 5/25/2019 at 10:27 AM, ClefsDor said:

Well it's just after 5.00pm and I'm sitting here amongst our suitcases trying to get motivated to finish packing. I'm reflecting on what has been, for us, an epic cruise. We've met some amazing people some of whom I know we'll be life long friends with and others who I'm hoping to get reacquainted with on future cruises. I honestly can't fault this cruise - the ports have all been lovely. Some have had less to see and do than others but they have been very scenic nonetheless. The food in all the venues that we've tried has been on the whole excellent. Unfortunately we didn't get to try the Churrascaria this cruise. We dined at Prego 3 times, Uma Uma 2 times, Silk 2 times and the rest at Waterside. Lunch has mainly been at Trident/Marketplace with just a few lunches at Waterside. Service has been top notch. All the Waterside waiters we've had have been wonderful and the pool deck/trident guys are as amazing as ever. I'm in awe of all the crew who work tirelessly to ensure we are all so well looked after. 

One special mention I would like to make is about the new Cruise Director Russ Grieves. He is amazing and a wonderful asset for Crystal. We've cruised 9 times with Crystal and this is the first time that a CD has actually made an effort to come and speak with us. Yes, I've spoken to other CD's but only because I've approached them with a comment or a question. Russ is always present, always approachable and always making an effort to speak and interact with passengers, for us he's in another league altogether. Like Mark Farris I wish they could clone him so as we could cruise with him every single time.

Well I better finish off that packing and get ready for our last pre dinner drink at the Cove. Tomorrow we plan to disembark at around 9.0am and we have a couple of nights at the Peninsula before heading home. Thanks, Terry for starting this thread and allowing us all to chime in!

Thanks for sharing your impressions on Russ. He is truly a very accesible and friendly cruise director. I know him from my cruises with Azamara. Looking forward to cruising with him again.

Ivi

We’ve had a great 24 hours in Tokyo - helping ease the transition to life without Crystal 

Last night a group of us attended a Japanese Baseball game - the Tokyo team playing was the Yakult Swallows - the crowd is something else with their loud cheering throughout the game - and a tradition of twirling small umbrellas when their team scores - we joined in of course. We had great seats right behind home plate. Sadly the Swallows lost 10-8 - extending their current losing streak to 11 games - but it was a close game and lots of runs which kept the crowd animated. I would recommend this activity to anyone who enjoys sports and wants to experience the atmosphere of another countries action and supporters 

On our last night in Waterside Santana organised a carrot cake for the three ladies at our table who are dairy free - it was a nice gesture to do that - and for those who weren’t dairy free there were lashing of whipped cream and ice cream 

Today was again very hot in Tokyo and reasonably humid (32c) - so we tried to stay in the shade - we found a nice restaurant which served Prawns and Pork (from Kagoshima where we were last week) coated in Panko crumbs 

Symphony sails away in around 15 minutes - do Bon Voyage to all those onboard - have a great voyage and enjoy the Film & Theatre theme

9D4CAFB4-5257-493D-9734-3C2B41211ED7.jpeg

B6DF1545-5F5A-4B0C-A21C-FD64243EC64E.jpeg

537673FE-9116-498A-BC1C-DB4272AA3306.jpeg

ACA4D3FE-61F4-4D2F-B9CA-FB18D7C26DC9.jpeg

160DF45E-825A-4A99-BC61-E146E87A44C0.jpeg

4A682086-C0C5-45D9-8978-F38A59E4AC45.jpeg

46D31B2C-C920-4252-A14A-2AFB2C81AFB0.jpeg

B9DDEDE5-ECC2-4778-9F62-CFB3EDE6907D.jpeg

Terry...I enjoyed the photos and the narrative from you along with posts from Shirin and Glen and others who have posted on your live thread.

Being an avid baseball fan I had never thought of attending a game in Japan but you have given me the inspiration to do just that so I will be sure to investigate this for a trip we have planned.

Wish some of that warmer weather in Japan could have been sent to Austria when we were on that River Cruise.  😀

Keith

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences in such detail — it was great to read along about such an exotic journey where everyone was having such fun.  Thanks also for the beautiful pictures and videos, and taking the time to attach the documentation Terry!

Vince

Excellent photos and narration.  We look forward in the future to sail with you again.  Last year we had so much fun especially in Palm Court when tea was served.

Thanks to everyone for posting. 

If you ever want to experience international baseball a little closer to home try the World Baseball Classic held every few years by Major League Baseball. Those Japanese and South Korea fans are great. The next one will be held in 2020/21. Information about the next Classic can be found at the WBC web site.

Howard

The fun continues in Tokyo as we unwind from our cruise and try to get back to reality (I’m not sure that Tokyo is the place for that) 

Thankfully the weather has cooled a little from the stifling heat when we first arrived on Symphony on the weekend

Yesterday we enjoyed a walk in one of our favourite parks - Hamarikyu Gardens which provides tranquility nestled amongst the high rises of Shiodome. We also visited Sensoji Temple in Asakusa and took a cruise down the Sumida River to the gardens  

Last night we literally fished for our dinner at Zauo Restaurant at the Washington Hotel in Shinjuku - what a lot of fun that was and they prepare your catch in a range of styles such as sashimi, sushi, crumbed, boiled or deep fried. We loved watching the fun and celebration of a successful catch - enjoy the photos and video and we recommend this to anyone up for a night of fun while in Tokyo

6E60F6D0-E47F-4986-AFF8-92ABFF4CAD93.jpeg

899016BA-A4BF-4D79-B347-C14DBF7E242B.jpeg

6C2E2B20-E6F4-42A9-B5AD-2B2AFB6C13EE.jpeg

FDCDEA37-1C5B-48BC-9CD0-7C3623584B24.jpeg

37D813A7-8EDD-40A5-A8F2-58156182B53F.jpeg

4912E5DE-1B96-45A3-B611-1F443049516C.jpeg

DE603155-8836-48CF-B1A0-7E175E7AD959.jpeg

Thank you for this wonderful review! I don't know when we'll begin our world travels, but this review sure makes me want to cruise out of Tokyo.