Wellington Zoo

We will be in port for one day and I'm wondering whether the Wellington Zoo is a good option and how would we get there?  Is there public transit from near the pier or one of the shuttle drop-offs?  We had originally planned to do the cable car, botanical gardens and zoolandia...then I saw an add for the W. Zoo.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  We'll be there in December.  Thank you!

I've never been to Wellington, but IF you're talking about Zealandia, I've read that Zealandia runs a free shuttle every 20 minutes or so from outside of the city's tourist information office, which is called i-SITE.  I don't know exactly where i-SITE is, but I think I read this information on the Zealandia website, so you could google that for more information.   

Oceania cruise ships seem to dock at Aotea Quay in Wellington, but I don't know if that's where all ships dock, and whether a shuttle or cab is needed to the major attractions in Welly. 

Wellington zoo is different to Zealandia.  The zoo is in Newtown. 

The i-SITE is in Wakefield St near the Michael Fowler Centre and a short walk to the Te Papa Museum. The free shuttle buses from the wharf drop off and pick up here, as well as at the Beehive end of Lambton Quay. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

13 hours ago, roothy123 said:

I've never been to Wellington, but IF you're talking about Zealandia, I've read that Zealandia runs a free shuttle every 20 minutes or so from outside of the city's tourist information office, which is called i-SITE.  I don't know exactly where i-SITE is, but I think I read this information on the Zealandia website, so you could google that for more information.   

Oceania cruise ships seem to dock at Aotea Quay in Wellington, but I don't know if that's where all ships dock, and whether a shuttle or cab is needed to the major attractions in Welly. 

11 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Wellington zoo is different to Zealandia.  The zoo is in Newtown. 

The i-SITE is in Wakefield St near the Michael Fowler Centre and a short walk to the Te Papa Museum. The free shuttle buses from the wharf drop off and pick up here, as well as at the Beehive end of Lambton Quay. 

Sorry, yes, we've already plans to go to Zealandia but wondered about the feasibility of doing the Zoo as well but from what I've since read the Zoo is more for children and we'd be better off at Zealandia which seems more accessible to the shuttle stops anyway.  Thanks for both of your input!!

• 2 months later...

Hi, as a person that works in Wellington I would go to Zealandia and then if I had the time go to Te Papa rather than the zoo.  The other top thing to do in Wellington is the Weta Workshop tour.  I don't know what your preference is but the zoo will disappoint after zealandia.