Sydney Cruise Port to Airport

zogrand

Just now, waltd said:

April 4, 2020,   Ruby Princess to Los Angeles

Definitely The OPT at The Rocks, Ruby won’t fit under the harbour Bridge, plenty of hotels to pick from around there.

Just now, GUT2407 said:

Definitely The OPT at The Rocks, Ruby won’t fit under the harbour Bridge, plenty of hotels to pick from around there.

Thanks again.   Ok I should start another thread for this question BUT have any idea what hotel or hotels might be on the Hop on Hop off bus line?   Would be convenient  not to have to walk too many blocks to spend the day seeing Sydney.  I know it's a crazy question.   

5 minutes ago, waltd said:

Thanks again.   Ok I should start another thread for this question BUT have any idea what hotel or hotels might be on the Hop on Hop off bus line?   Would be convenient  not to have to walk too many blocks to spend the day seeing Sydney.  I know it's a crazy question.   

I know it stops (or did last time I was there) almost opposite the Holiday Inn at the Rocks, but I’d guess it’d stop close to most of the others in that area. Google hotels in the Rocks if your a member of any loyalty schemes.

5 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I know it stops (or did last time I was there) almost opposite the Holiday Inn at the Rocks, but I’d guess it’d stop close to most of the others in that area. Google hotels in the Rocks if your a member of any loyalty schemes.

Thanks again for all the help.   So looking forward to this cruise.   Will  look at the Rocks.

2 hours ago, waltd said:

Thanks again for all the help.   So looking forward to this cruise.   Will  look at the Rocks.

Take note that in the Rocks anything away from George Street is up the hill. Not a steep hill, but still...

Good to know, thanks.   Looks like we might stay at the Holiday Inn Old Sydney.  Price seems reasonable, close to the port and on the  route for the Hop on Hop off bus. Seems like a good location for a few days.  Also found  Blacklane Limo service and we have used them before in Japan.    Had no complaints with them.  White Glove Service.   LOL   

Edited by waltd

7 hours ago, waltd said:

Good to know, thanks.   Looks like we might stay at the Holiday Inn Old Sydney.  Price seems reasonable, close to the port and on the  route for the Hop on Hop off bus. Seems like a good location for a few days.  Also found  Blacklane Limo service and we have used them before in Japan.    Had no complaints with them.  White Glove Service.   LOL   

It’s our “go to” when cruising, getting a little old but a great location, try and book an accessible room as some items have wired elevator lobbies that still have a couple of stairs.

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

It’s our “go to” when cruising, getting a little old but a great location, try and book an accessible room as some items have wired elevator lobbies that still have a couple of stairs.

Dang!   you are a wealth of information.  Thanks again.   Since you have been to the Holiday Inn are there any local , what we would call coffee shops,   in the area that you could recommend or is the hotel restaurant ok?   Not looking for gourmet.    Just good food and nothing fancy.     Could you also explain your comment " some items have wired elevator lobbies"    

Joe

4 hours ago, waltd said:

Dang!   you are a wealth of information.  Thanks again.   Since you have been to the Holiday Inn are there any local , what we would call coffee shops,   in the area that you could recommend or is the hotel restaurant ok?   Not looking for gourmet.    Just good food and nothing fancy.     Could you also explain your comment " some items have wired elevator lobbies"    

Joe

You will fall over a coffee shop, restaurant cafe every step you take, around at Circular Quay, where the Ferry’s dock there are a zillion choices, I’ve had  breakfast a few times at the HI and it’s fine (cheaper if you book the night before) City Extra https://www.cityextra.com.au/ is a nice diner, a bit like some American diners,

Mrs Gut loves Ribs and Burgers right at the HI. https://ribsandburgers.com/au/

We had diner at Guylian just a few hundred metres from the HI last year it was OK too

http://guyliancafe.com.au/the-rocks-nsw/

but a warning many of your countrymen suffer sticker ticker shock prices are way higher with Sydney often coming in as the most expensive city in the world to visit or in the top few, but no need to tipand extra 20% or so.

sorry Wired should have said weird (bloody autocorrect) some floors the lift will stop and then you’ll have two or three steps to the corridor the rooms are located on, so if you are going to have issues negotiating a couple of stairs with luggage etc make sure you tell them when you make your booking, I’m often 8n a wheelchair or on a walking frame so the first time I stayed there (unaware) it was a bit of an issue.

No idea if it matters to you but the hotel also has a self serve laundry which vacant be handy when you’re travelling.

14 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

You will fall over a coffee shop, restaurant cafe every step you take, around at Circular Quay, where the Ferry’s dock there are a zillion choices, I’ve had  breakfast a few times at the HI and it’s fine (cheaper if you book the night before) City Extra https://www.cityextra.com.au/ is a nice diner, a bit like some American diners,

Mrs Gut loves Ribs and Burgers right at the HI. https://ribsandburgers.com/au/

We had diner at Guylian just a few hundred metres from the HI last year it was OK too

http://guyliancafe.com.au/the-rocks-nsw/

but a warning many of your countrymen suffer sticker ticker shock prices are way higher with Sydney often coming in as the most expensive city in the world to visit or in the top few, but no need to tipand extra 20% or so.

sorry Wired should have said weird (bloody autocorrect) some floors the lift will stop and then you’ll have two or three steps to the corridor the rooms are located on, so if you are going to have issues negotiating a couple of stairs with luggage etc make sure you tell them when you make your booking, I’m often 8n a wheelchair or on a walking frame so the first time I stayed there (unaware) it was a bit of an issue.

No idea if it matters to you but the hotel also has a self serve laundry which vacant be handy when you’re travelling.

Thanks,   very useful information.   Yes have heard about the sticker shock.    We are light eaters so I think we can get by for two days before boarding the Ruby Princess.    I'm amazed the hotel has a self serve laundry.   I think that's unusual for a hotel or I just don't get out much.     

Thanks again and take care...….

• 7 months later...

Looking for some advice on earliest international departure flight you would consider....

Arriving at White bay at 7:00 am on a Saturday Morning (HAL).  There is a reasonably priced flight leaving at 11:30am.  Is that too early?  Next best option for us with decent routing is a 7:55pm departure.  That's quite a wait if not really necessary.

If it is "close", we will opt for the later flight, but I don't know what kind of travel time to expect from the port to the airport.

Thanks for any help.

Don

Edited by Mud_Shark

That would be "close."

For international at 11:30 you want to check in by 9:30 at latest, pref 9 a.m. so say 9.

Saturday morning is busy for traffic, and that trip is about half hour minimum, but could be say 40 min. Takes you back to 8 20 a.m.

Collecting luggage, getting through customs, allow 20 min for, so 8 a.m.

Basically you have up to an hour leeway from when it clears (Assuming 7 a.m is clearance, not arrival), which isn't a lot if there are any matter of issues that arise, hence possible doable but close.

• 3 weeks later...

We are on the Radiance in March 2020   and arrive at Circular Quay on a Friday at 6:30 am.  Air Canada (our nasty airline) moved our 12:15 pm flight to 11:15 am.  We are planning to do self walk off as soon as it is allowed (hopefully by 7:15 am) and walk over to the very crowded train and hitch ourselves to it (ha ha).    From what I have read so far, it should take no more than 40 minutes to get to the airport by train and then we will run as fast as we can with our bags.  We will check in on line the day prior and I will report back as to what eventually happens.  We do have trip interruption insurance and hope we will not have to use it!!!  

39 minutes ago, pink845 said:

We are on the Radiance in March 2020   and arrive at Circular Quay on a Friday at 6:30 am.  Air Canada (our nasty airline) moved our 12:15 pm flight to 11:15 am.  We are planning to do self walk off as soon as it is allowed (hopefully by 7:15 am) and walk over to the very crowded train and hitch ourselves to it (ha ha).    From what I have read so far, it should take no more than 40 minutes to get to the airport by train and then we will run as fast as we can with our bags.  We will check in on line the day prior and I will report back as to what eventually happens.  We do have trip interruption insurance and hope we will not have to use it!!!  

We are on Radiance in January/February and also booked on the AC 1215 flight home the day we disembark. Hoping they don't do the same thing to our flight. Good luck with getting to your flight in time. 

• 4 weeks later...

It appears that Air Canada # 34 departs at 12:15 pm all days up until Tuesday, March 12, 2020 when it changes to become an 11:15 am  flight.  You have plenty of time to make your flight.  Air Canada specifically states on their website Check in Time for international flights is 2 hours prior.    3 hours for flights from Toronto to US; however, even though that is not international but such a busy airport.   Mine at 11:15 am is more problematic should Radiance come in late.     My husband has priority check in with Air Canada so that will hopefully speed us along so fingers crossed that the stars will align and that we  will be fine, otherwise, we do have trip interruption insurance to rely on.   Still  would be interesting to hear from someone who has manage to make a flight to Canada in the 11:15 am to 11:30 am range.    Every time I book with Air Canada, they seem to change the flight. It is so upsetting.

For an idea of the train and travel times, this screenshot shows the information from Transport NSW website for travel from OPT (Overseas Passenger Terminal) to Sydney International Airport Train Station (which is directly under the international terminal). It is based on arriving to the International Terminal Station by 8:15am on a Tuesday based on the timetable current at this time.

image.thumb.png.1061111f7ef1d31998ff72cb47d38862.png

This is the public transport website, however, you can only search for trips around 2 weeks in advance.

https://transportnsw.info/

Most of this trip is underground (only the stops at Circular Quay and Central are above ground - all other stations are underground stations).

Additionally, the cost shown is for an Adult, and does include a 'Station Access Fee', which currently ranges from $13.31 (Concession) to $14.87 (Adult).

38 minutes ago, Fosters1951 said:

This is the public transport website, however, you can only search for trips around 2 weeks in advance.

https://transportnsw.info/

For Circular Quay to the airport, it's a good idea to check that the trains are running and that there are no unexpected problems.

But for clarity: If they are running normally, then there's no need to be too scientific about searching for train times (which can cause completely unnecessary stress if you end up thinking that you need to try to catch one specific train). Basically, trains run about once every 10 minutes (or 15 minutes at the weekend) and take about 20 minutes. On that basis, all you need to do is to allow enough time - then turn up at the station and get the next train to your destination.